Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok… I'm sold on the value of IBEX and the bikes are certainly fine looking. However, It often appears that people make their decision to buy an Ibex for monetary reasons and this is an acceptable reason for sure (I like saving money) but not necessarily the reason for purchasing a bike.

So for the sake of this discussion, let's set aside money for a moment and talk "riding the difference". As one reads he will notice several comments from those that ride Ibex, Specialized, and others MTB on how they climb like Billy Goats. Some others would say the Brain Technology Specialized boast is one of a kind and cannot be matched. Yet other riders boast on the Maestro system and how it provides the best traction bar none.

Now to continue eliminating buyer hindrances lets remove the drive train argument because for the most part they are identical to varied degrees. Following the drive train lets next purge the suspension debate and any other apple to apple item we all know each bike posses.

What are we left with really?
Frame, Wheel Set, Tires, Geometry and Design

Frame …weight
Wheel set … lightest and balance
Tires…grip
Geometry and Design…why we pay the big bucks

Now let's have the conversation…Why should I ride an IBEX bike…Why does it climb like a billy goat? Those of you that have taken the time to ride different bikes, what was it that you found exceptional about these bikes. This is not meant to be a debate rather a rider looking to purchase the best bike I can get my hands on regardless of money.

Is IBEX that bike…in your opinion!

Replace the names and anwer the question if you are not a IBEX believer.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I don't own an Ibex but also my view is:
if you just spent a grand or more on a bike, and it's the newest one in your stable, of course people are going to rave about it because it is so much better than all their older bikes.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Rev. Michael McCaskill said:
Ok… I'm sold on the value of IBEX and the bikes are certainly fine looking. However, It often appears that people make their decision to buy an Ibex for monetary reasons and this is an acceptable reason for sure (I like saving money) but not necessarily the reason for purchasing a bike.

So for the sake of this discussion, let's set aside money for a moment and talk "riding the difference". As one reads he will notice several comments from those that ride Ibex, Specialized, and others MTB on how they climb like Billy Goats. Some others would say the Brain Technology Specialized boast is one of a kind and cannot be matched. Yet other riders boast on the Maestro system and how it provides the best traction bar none.

Now to continue eliminating buyer hindrances lets remove the drive train argument because for the most part they are identical to varied degrees. Following the drive train lets next purge the suspension debate and any other apple to apple item we all know each bike posses.

What are we left with really?
Frame, Wheel Set, Tires, Geometry and Design

Frame …weight
Wheel set … lightest and balance
Tires…grip
Geometry and Design…why we pay the big bucks

Now let's have the conversation…Why should I ride an IBEX bike…Why does it climb like a billy goat? Those of you that have taken the time to ride different bikes, what was it that you found exceptional about these bikes. This is not meant to be a debate rather a rider looking to purchase the best bike I can get my hands on regardless of money.

Is IBEX that bike…in your opinion!

Replace the names and anwer the question if you are not a IBEX believer.
put components aside as all of us know, thats where Ibex definitely shines cause you can see the specs on paper. As for designs, I rode the 06 Ibex Asta with it's 4 bar design and it pedaled great yet maintained great sensitivity with that endless feel of travel to it. Then now i'm riding an Ibex Zone and that thing is soooo pedalable. The way Ibex positioned the pivot of the suspension really made it pedal like a 30lbs bike and yet take hits like an all out FR bike.

As for things like the Brain and such, i'm not too familiar with Specialized's platofrms, but you can pretty much get the same thing with any other good platform out there like an SPV or so which you see on the Manitou Swingers or Fox DHX and so on.

The part where i see Ibex losing out in is in it's linkages for suspension. Ibex is sticking to the conventional Single Pivot or 4 bar which are proven designs. They work... They might not be as effiecient as so claimed multi linkage suspensions like the VPP or Maestro or DW and so on... but they are effiecient. As for the 4 bar link that Ibex has on the Asta, it's really very similar to Specialized's FSR system just that the brakes are on the seat stays and not on the chain stays... IMO, Ibex may not be all famous and all but they do make good products and not just by speccing it up with good components... but their frames have very good build quality and really nice ly designed...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My answer

While I can not speak for Ibex road bike offerings, this is what I can say about their mountain bike offerings.

The same level of design, engineering and overall thought is placed into Ibex bikes as what you see from the top manufacturers you see at your Local Bike Shop. Ibex uses the same high quality materials in their frames, they utilize things like gussets where needed to improve strength, and deploy concepts like butting to make the frames strong and yet light. They use the same manufacturing technicques. Their builds are very well balanced in their specifications (many times a much better balance than LBS bikes), and the geometry of the frames are very appropriate for their intended applications.

What they do not have that some manufacturers have are the brand name patented linkages and suspension components as described in the Specialized example (Horst link and Brain), nor do they necessarily deploy the uber-high end componentry on some of the most expensive bikes in other manufacturers line up.

So what it boils down to IS cost, my friend. For example, if you take a bike like the Trophy Comp X.7, you can probably match it up to a similar hardtail with similarly designed frame with similar geometry and similar level of components. It will probably cost you 1/3 more. The bikes will feel similar, have similar handling characteristics and drivetrain performance. The only difference is the priviledge of paying more money for the LBS bike.

The Ibex bike will perform just as well as the big name brands because they are incorporating the same elements of design, engineering and manufacture as the big boys. Can you buy a better bike than Ibex? Absolutely. Open up your pocketbook and the best bike in the world is at your fingertips. Fact of the matter is, most of us do have a budget. Take that budget and match it up with what Ibex offers and what you can get for the same dollar at your LBS and OTHER THAN the uber high end stuff Ibex doesn't offer, they win hands down every time. There's just no getting around this fact.

So, in essence, if their bikes perform just as well as the LBS bike does, why WOULD I want to pay my LBS a 30% premium? You answer that question for me. :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Answer

Your right, you don't want to pay extra for air...when riders can be honest and logical about the strengths and weaknesses of their bikes then I'm much more interested in hearing more about them... I compliments to your answer.

mic

·
Registered
739 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
While I can not speak for Ibex road bike offerings, this is what I can say about their mountain bike offerings.

The same level of design, engineering and overall thought is placed into Ibex bikes as what you see from the top manufacturers you see at your Local Bike Shop. Ibex uses the same high quality materials in their frames, they utilize things like gussets where needed to improve strength, and deploy concepts like butting to make the frames strong and yet light. They use the same manufacturing technicques. Their builds are very well balanced in their specifications (many times a much better balance than LBS bikes), and the geometry of the frames are very appropriate for their intended applications.

What they do not have that some manufacturers have are the brand name patented linkages and suspension components as described in the Specialized example (Horst link and Brain), nor do they necessarily deploy the uber-high end componentry on some of the most expensive bikes in other manufacturers line up.

So what it boils down to IS cost, my friend. For example, if you take a bike like the Trophy Comp X.7, you can probably match it up to a similar hardtail with similarly designed frame with similar geometry and similar level of components. It will probably cost you 1/3 more. The bikes will feel similar, have similar handling characteristics and drivetrain performance. The only difference is the priviledge of paying more money for the LBS bike.

The Ibex bike will perform just as well as the big name brands because they are incorporating the same elements of design, engineering and manufacture as the big boys. Can you buy a better bike than Ibex? Absolutely. Open up your pocketbook and the best bike in the world is at your fingertips. Fact of the matter is, most of us do have a budget. Take that budget and match it up with what Ibex offers and what you can get for the same dollar at your LBS and OTHER THAN the uber high end stuff Ibex doesn't offer, they win hands down every time. There's just no getting around this fact.

So, in essence, if their bikes perform just as well as the LBS bike does, why WOULD I want to pay my LBS a 30% premium? You answer that question for me. :thumbsup:

Bob
NICE RESPONSE

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think what it really comes down to is the fact that many people who buy Ibex aren't such professionals that it matters. Neither are we people who care about brand name and showing off expensive items. I know i prefer to show off good deals and have people moan about how much they had to spend.

Anyway...

I couldn't tell the difference between Fishers Cake 2 dlx, Specialized Stuntjumper FSR, and Ibex Asta Expert x9. I test rode all three in the woods and i honestly couldn't feel anything that really set me off about one bike or not.

For me, it was about buying a quality bike where i get most bang for the buck. If i am not going to be able to tell a difference between Genesis 29, and Specialized Brain, compared to a typically 4 bar system, why should i pay for the extra.

I'm still young(ish) and just want to go out and ride some trails. I am able to adjust to how the bikes feels, it handles, and climbs.

Ibex's upsides?
I sure like the fast handling and the feel going down the trail. Coming from a road bike where you can turn on a dime and take a dump this was much more forgiving. The suspension took a while to dial in myself, but i would have done the same thing on a LBS bought bike.
Anything i don't like?
Nothing i can seriously complain about right now. I haven't been disappointed. I don't think if i had went and bought the other bikes i test rode either if i would have been disappointed except for the fact that i sent more money for lower grade components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.