Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone aware of the camps, clinics, places of gathering, etc.. in or near NJ?
I would like to improve my technique and learn some new stuff . Can’t seem to be able to do it on my own as quick as i wish to. It would be great to see other riders in action and learn from them, maybe get couple of pointers..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Go Out on a Group Ride

This is one of the best ways to improve your riding, particularly if there are people in the group that are stronger riders than you. If you check out this board, there are usually rides posted every weekend and some during the week. Just show up and ride.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
lots of places

jchembel said:
I would like to improve my technique and learn some new stuff . Can't seem to be able to do it on my own as quick as i wish to. It would be great to see other riders in action and learn from them, maybe get couple of pointers..
hey. try showing up at ringwood state park or allamuchy state park and hook up with any of the groups that meet there on weekends between 8 and 9am. you'll find most people are friendly and very helpful. explain that your interested in learning and i'm sure that you'll be pleasantly surprised. i will probably offer to host some kind of beginer clinic sometime in early september so keep on eye on this forum for a date. would there be interest in this sort of thing? if you have any specific questions on technique just ask! good luck.

phat

·
Registered
200 Posts
beginner clinic

I would be interested in this clinic, hubby too.

Good idea

phatbiker said:
hey. try showing up at ringwood state park or allamuchy state park and hook up with any of the groups that meet there on weekends between 8 and 9am. you'll find most people are friendly and very helpful. explain that your interested in learning and i'm sure that you'll be pleasantly surprised. i will probably offer to host some kind of beginer clinic sometime in early september so keep on eye on this forum for a date. would there be interest in this sort of thing? if you have any specific questions on technique just ask! good luck.

phat

·
Registered
188 Posts
Clinics and such....

jchembel said:
I would like to improve my technique and learn some new stuff . Can't seem to be able to do it on my own as quick as i wish to. It would be great to see other riders in action and learn from them, maybe get couple of pointers..
You could contact Trail Masters Touring. I know they do clinics at Blue Mountain. I have no personal experience with them, but do have a contact: Mary 914-325-5916

If your ever in Vermont I can HIGHLY recommend Abby at Catamount near Burlington. They've got a great facility, rental bikes, a B&B to stay at on the premises and 15 miles of trails.

Going out with a group locally is a great way to go as well..... I've gone out a few times on rides that were led by Phat and he helped me tremendously.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you guys are the greatest
beginner clinic will be awesome
I am mostly interested in improving my bunnyhoping, scaling ledges, logs.
I am afraid that I might be a burden on some of the group rides , I’ve only been riding for 2 years and not shure that a can keep up with you guys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm there too

Lotsa trail time has definately improved my riding, but I didn't become a double black diamond skier without lessons and would really enjoy the opportunity to learn some skills that would help me keep up on a group ride.

Although... I have to say, I'm getting faster now that I'm clipped in.... got more bruises too though!

Keep us posted!

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
hey wait a minute

jchembel said:
you guys are the greatest
beginner clinic will be awesome
I am mostly interested in improving my bunnyhoping, scaling ledges, logs.
I am afraid that I might be a burden on some of the group rides , I've only been riding for 2 years and not shure that a can keep up with you guys.
is this jose?? ;) .. just kidding. no worries on being a burden. that's the way you learn. i'd do the clinic a little ealier but i'm trying to train for the 24 hrs of allamuchy so i've been doing some hard rides lately. can't wait for this to be over because if miss taking out the newbies. :)

so here it goes, i'll probably host the first beginer clinic on sunday, 9/5. no real riding. we'll just ride to a spot where we can work on some technical skills like climbing steep hills with lots of rocks and roots, clearing rock gardens and maybe a small drop (just for you mr moto :p )... we can also go over proper bike set up and that sort of stuff. sound good? suggestions are welcome.

phat

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
hey maggie

maggie said:
Lotsa trail time has definately improved my riding, but I didn't become a double black diamond skier without lessons and would really enjoy the opportunity to learn some skills that would help me keep up on a group ride.

Although... I have to say, I'm getting faster now that I'm clipped in.... got more bruises too though!

Keep us posted!
hey maggie. a little birdy tom me that you went clipless but that you wanted to keep it a secret! glad you're doing better... well, i'm no double black diamond biker but i'll do my best to answer any questions anybody that's new to the sport may have. talk to you soon.

phat

·
Registered
188 Posts
hmmmf... I'll have to have a word with that bird when I'm up there next month!

Actually, I'm only 1/2 clipless.... haven't gotten up the nerve to totally remove the platform yet. Taking baby steps.

If your not a black diamond biker I don't think I want to see one. Your there in my book.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
is that a pout i sense?

maggie said:
hmmmf... I'll have to have a word with that bird when I'm up there next month!

Actually, I'm only 1/2 clipless.... haven't gotten up the nerve to totally remove the platform yet. Taking baby steps.

If your not a black diamond biker I don't think I want to see one. Your there in my book.
hmmmf??? ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mtb 101

jchembel said:
Cycle Craft does a mountain bike 101 class at the Tourne Park in Boonton every other Thursday night. The next one is August 5th. The clinic kind of tailors itself to the folks who show up. Super basic, easy riding. The park is small so it is easy to make quick loops or string together something a little longer. Some flat trails, and some rocky climbing, I would rate this park beginner to moderatley technical intermediate. Although this is a clinic we put together for folks who purchased beginner type mountain bikes, the clinic is free and open to anyone who would like to participate.
Brendan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Phat i would also be interested in joining you guys for the begginers class, or anyother rides as long as they arent at night i havent been able to get the money yet to buy a light, so just name the place and hopefully i will be able to join you guys. Awesome idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phat,
is it possible to move the date from 9/5 to either earlier or later week.
I am going on vacation Labor day week and will be greatly disappointed if I miss this clinic.
Jose :D , just kidding
Julia.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
good idea

jchembel said:
Phat,
is it possible to move the date from 9/5 to either earlier or later week.
I am going on vacation Labor day week and will be greatly disappointed if I miss this clinic.
Jose :D , just kidding
Julia.
hey julia! good point i didn't realize that was labor day weekend. there will probably be a lot of people away. so let's try for sunday 9/19 as i am away the weekend prior. i should also add that although we are making this date the dedicated beginer clinic i am always more than happy to take out rider of all levels. hey, sometimes even i learn something!

phat

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would like to go to this class

What time does it start and where in the park?

I will be coming from Andover - do you have directions from 80 west?

Brendan said:
Cycle Craft does a mountain bike 101 class at the Tourne Park in Boonton every other Thursday night. The next one is August 5th. The clinic kind of tailors itself to the folks who show up. Super basic, easy riding. The park is small so it is easy to make quick loops or string together something a little longer. Some flat trails, and some rocky climbing, I would rate this park beginner to moderatley technical intermediate. Although this is a clinic we put together for folks who purchased beginner type mountain bikes, the clinic is free and open to anyone who would like to participate.
Brendan

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
age does matter.

Carter227 said:
Phat, Does age matter for the little clinic you are holding? I am only 15 but am very interested in mountain biking and maybe wanna tryout begginer racing soon just for fun.
but only when you try to buy beer or vote...not for mountain biking! hope to see you in sept.

phat

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.