Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I do ride a 5 Spot so am "legit" on here :)
Anyway, I have a technique questions. Could have posted on the DH board, but folks on here seem to be much more responsive and mature, at least my perception.

Okay, when riding down steep chutes, I am learning how to let it go in the tough sections and then brake where there is opportunity, but what about corners on steep chutes?

What I want to understand, and learn how to do is use that kind of "rear wheel steeering" rudder effect, with control. I sort of do it now, but it's without total control.

I was coming down a reasonably steep chute yesterday and was going pretty good actually, then came upon the turn and wasn't able to make the turn, so had to dismount, remount, then ride the rest of the section.

I've seen Steve Romaniuk do this technique in The Collective while going super fast, and I've seen it down in one or some of the Kranked films, with the Fro's riding down some long loose, steep mountain.

Any help to where I can understand the technique in my mind would be appreciated.

Also - and related, on non banked, flat corners going fast on singletrack, how do you inititate the rear slide so that it points you in the right direction, rather than having to brake? How do you practice this technique? (some info says practice in a dirt parking lot just ride straight then say to throw the tail left, turn the bars left just for a sec, then hard right and try to weight the inside right grip and toss the tail around with hips?

I can do this a bit more than 90deg or maybe close to 180 deg one way, but it's harder the other!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully we're going to get Lee here in spring or early summer, we're working on that now! Hey thanks for the link to this video, I didn't know about it and am going to order it.

I started out with "Performance Mountain Biking" with Ned Overend, and that helped a lot too.

thanks man!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Hopefully we're going to get Lee here in spring or early summer, we're working on that now! Hey thanks for the link to this video, I didn't know about it and am going to order it.

I started out with "Performance Mountain Biking" with Ned Overend, and that helped a lot too.

thanks man!
You're welcome. Lee's going to Boise? I was hoping he'd come back to SoCal.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I second the fundamentals video!

We have a LOT of steep chutes up here, and also ride a lot of wet steep granite slabs in BC (see pic in profile, for instance). The techniques are basically the same. I think the trick is keeping your weight low and centered, as opposed to really far back. If your weight is too far back, you won''t be able to steer and also, the bike will have a tendency to "squirt" out from underneath you on transitions. Some people call this "driving from the back seat".

Keeping your weight centered allows you to use your limbs for extra suspension, and keeps just enough weight on the front wheel to maintain steering braking control. As long as your weight is low and you aren't using the front brake, endo'ing won't be an issue. Think about pushing your heels down, bending your elbows, and getting your chin down just behind the stem cap.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He may want to come back there too. yeah I know he did a training camp at Aliso.
Well if folks will make the commitment, then Lee will come here. I am hoping so!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
FM said:
I second the fundamentals video!

If your weight is too far back, you won''t be able to steer and also, the bike will have a tendency to "squirt" out from underneath you on transitions. Some people call this "driving from the back seat".
I laughed when I read your post. When it gets super steep and loose I'm a total back seat driver. I figure I'd rather sit on the ground behind me than get launched over the bars 15 feet down the slope. I'm going to have to check out that video.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can do this a bit more than 90deg or maybe close to 180 deg one way, but it's harder the other!
try swapping your leading foot, ie if your right foot is forward it will be easier to bring the back wheel around to the right and vice a versa, you should be able to help the bike round with your trailing foot. Most people will have a prefered foot forward much like surfing but it is good to be able to switch. Similar thing for doing hip jumps.

Also for sharp turns on steep stuff i tend to treat them like switchbacks (but faster:) if you are doing a switchback that turns right have your left foot forward so your hips are already turning the direction you want to go so your body isn't fighting the bike, as you move round the bend pedal forward so your outside foot is down digging the tyres in, do the opposite for left hand switchbacks/corners.

hope that makes some senseand doesn't sound to wonky, and if i'm saying stuff you already know :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.