Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
let me rephrase that: riding is frustrating
well i realize that's obvious, but just realized to what extent. in high school i got into mtbk'ing, i loved it plus it kept me in good shape. i had a GF hardtail that i rode at least a few times a week and like every weekend when not working. also like a year or so after high school, i got into road riding a little and really enjoyed it.

so now it's been probly like three years since i've really ridden any trails or road rides. took my road bike out a couple weeks ago and sure enough i rode a few miles and was so out of breath i stopped after a whole 20 minutes of riding. then drove over to williamsburg yesterday to ride my enduro expert for the first time on a trail, and same thing. it was a blast being back on single track, forgot how much i used to like it. but after a couple miles of riding and a few short climbs, so out of breath i ended up walking most of the other climbs and like coasting on the flatter parts. it was pretty sad. but i figure i'm like 40lbs heavier now then when i quit riding. that's like pedaling an extra downhill bike with me lol. plus it's like learning clipless all over again, it didn't feel naturall or easy at all like it used to. and being so exhausted from the riding, all the technical parts kicked my butt.

so now i'm wondering if i should just put the bike away for a little bit and continue with the running/swimming to get into better shape. or start hitting the road bike up a lot more to build up some endurance so i'm not spent after twenty minutes. oh well i guess the point of this is to make sure you don't get lazy and get into such bad shape you can't enjoy riding. but now that i realize how cool the trails are up here in VA vs FL where i lived before, i'm definately gonna keep it up.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Ride or don't ride, but don't say riding sucks. What did riding ever do to you? All riding did was show you how much you suck. It does that to a lot of us from time to time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like Nike says... just do it! Biking uses different muscles than walking, running, lifting or swiming. If you want to get in shape for biking, then bike. Slowly over short distances at first, then work up.

I hear you though... I'm 33. When I was 15, 16, 17... I used to ride 30 miles no problem. Now, I have a 4.2 mile track I ride and it just about kills me to do it three times, even at a moderate pace.

Getting old sucks... but the longer you keep getting out there, the longer you put off feeling any older than you have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand what your saying. I don't think you mean riding sucks, but it's not enjoyable when your in pain/out of breath. Especially when you used to be able to do so much more.

Keep this in mind for the next few rides: Don't think you can start where you left off a few years ago. Go on some short/easy rides. Gradully push yourself more. It's not a race, take your time and you'll get back in shape and start enjoying it more. I was basically in the same situation as you (I was even smoking the last couple years, and quite 2 months ago!) Now I'm feeling good and I'm back in love with riding! You just have to get past those first few rides! Keep with it man!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am 53 and decided to get back into bicycling to improve my cardio system and to help strengthen my knees after tearing apart an acl last year. I use to ride on-road many years ago, and I also did some park riding on asphalt/easy dirt trails in years past. So I got out my '80s model rigid stumpjumper several months ago and started riding like 30 min several times a week. I finally broke down and bought/built a fs bike so that I can learn to ride the more challenging trails in our local parks. FS sure makes riding so much easier than the old rigid bike. I can now ride up to 2 hours straight and feel great. Looking forward to some cooler weather this fall so we can hit some of the larger parks/ranches out of town. So just get on that bike of yours and RIDE!!!

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Riding sucks when you have the wrong attitude

What a bunch of girlymen. I had only one year of riding in when I had to take 363 days off and have double knee surgery. After absolutely no cardiovascular exercise for an entire year I did a two hour trail ride, with climbing, the first time. And that's at age 53. So stop whining and just do it! The way to get into shape for biking is biking, plus the right attitude. Swimming will not help and if you are overweight running is the worst thing you could do.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
riding dont suk--sometimes riding alone r with people who are faster all d time does. just ride. oh and it will get better when u start doing some cross training (run on a treadmill for 30 min 3X a week) and eat less and eat better. at least that's wht works for me. now if i would just follow my own advice.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
now if i would just follow my own advice.
Don't do what I do, do as I say...

I suppose it can be easy to get frustrated if you have golden memories of how good it used to be... and now it is not quite so easy.

I say ride, swim, run; but you need to lower your expectations about yourself on a bike, for the time being (never said anything about doing all that myself).

·
Registered
731 Posts
a good day of riding is always better than a day sitting inside on the couch...unless it's raining, and a good old spaghetti western with Clint Eastwood flick is on tv :p

·
Registered
751 Posts
go-pirates said:
a good day of riding is always better than a day sitting inside on the couch...unless it's raining, and a good old spaghetti western with Clint Eastwood flick is on tv :p
let me rephrase that for you:

a bad day of riding is always better than a good day of sitting inside on the couch...

·
Banned
183 Posts
Well get yourself in shape. You're not the first person in the world who's gotten themselves out of shape, and you won't be the first to get back into shape. Start riding around town and to work. Ditch the car!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. Back in 94-98 i raced and rode my heart out. I was really fast and nothing could stop me. I was in my teens then. Just got back into riding after 10 years of being young and dumb by smoking cigs for all those years. I quite smoking in november and havnt had one since. Now i am out on the trail and still cant keep up with anyone but whats amazing is how far i came in just a few months. I can now climb things that i couldnt when i just got back into it. Being almost 30 is not old...but way older then 16. Just ride your own pace and enjoy it. You will get back into it. Plus you will loose that weight. I am down 18 lbs already.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In the same exact position that you are right now. I bought a new bike about 2 months ago and been trying to ride every day since. I am or was about 50lbs heavier than I want to be but have already dropped about 15lbs. You dont have to try and kill yourself every time out, just ride as much as you can and try to push a little harder every other ride. I also have tried to start eating a little better and I definitely notice when I have a good day of eating and a bad day, I feel it on the bike FOR SURE. I travel a lot for work and dont have the option to eat healthy all the time but I do my best. In the past two months I know for sure I have dropped some weight and also I am riding farther than I was when I started and the climbs that I can do have gotten easier. I still have to walk some climbs and although it sucks being that guy there is no shame in it. Do what you can but dont quit!

·
Registered
101 Posts
About twice a week I ride a 10 mile flat loop to build strength but about three months ago me and my friend started hitting the trails more. At first my strength and endurance was weak so I walked alot of the tuff stuff and hills but still pushing the bike and walking was building strength and cardio. I take blood pressure medacine and have noticed a drop in my average pressure and also have noticed i can maintain 10 to 15 mph on flat trail and not drop off much if any for an hour. Now I still walk some hills but there getting less and less and my skills are getting better thanks to my friend. I feel so great and rewarded from the climbs and tuff stuff I cross I am pumped. I say walk, ride or what ever the switch backs just aslong as you do it and enjoy the ride. Were all differnt and sometimes give up but in time that giveup becomes overcome and ride on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.