Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bigsbymalone
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a trip from portland oregon down to atascadero, halfway between SF and LA and I'm looking to do some mtn biking along the way. My buddy and I will be riding ss rigid 29ers. Thanks for any recommendations. Camping options are a plus.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
You'll get a better response posting this in the Norcal forum.

I've read about some spots in southern Oregon, but don't recall names at the moment.

There's lots of riding opportunities in the region around Redding and Whiskeytown.

Tons of places to ride in the region around the SF bay, especially north and on the peninsula;

Santa Cruz region;

Fort Ord, near Monterey

When are you taking your trip?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Just keep an eye on the weather then. If it rains a lot, some places may be pretty muddy. Fort Ord is sandy, so actually better in the winter months as it packs down on a lot of trails.

For camping, check out California state parks; there's a couple in the Santa Cruz area, and some down by Monterey. Fort Ord has a campground by the Laguna Seca racetrack; I think that may be a county park, but I'm not sure. Montana de Oro is near Moro Bay, so on the coast maybe half an hour from Atascadero

You might also check out the hostel situation. They are pretty cheap and safe. There's a great one in the Marin headlands, one near Pigeon Point north of Santa Cruz, one in Santa Cruz, one in Monterey.

One place I didn't mention in my earlier post is Henry Coe State park. It's near Gilroy and is huge. But It's steep all over; not a very single speed friendly place I would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.