Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
slakDawg
469 Posts
Check out http://www.smallbrowndog.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php and/or http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com

Guessing that you will be near downtown, so head out to Renaissance Mountain Bike Park (1536 Tyvola Rd) about 6-7 miles from center city. It's got (2) 3-mile loops. I've seen a couple of rides posted for Beatty (6-7 miles) and Poplar Tent (~11 miles with all options, this is one of the best trails in the area, IMHO). These guys shouldn't mind a tag-along. Well I just re-read that you're looking to ride during the day, most of these rides are after work rides. Just check out those sites and if you have any questions in particular, let me know.

Are you needing anything in particular from a shop? Lucky Cycles is the closest to town, and there are several spread throughout the city. Check the sites above for more info (directions/contact info).

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you will be in Charolette, you absolutly must ride at Catawba! Ask at the shops about directions. I was there for a visit a few Thanksgivings ago and was directed to Catawba and I was thoroughly impressed with the large (1 1/2- 2 hours) loop of awesome singletrack that is there. I even went back the next day for more! I live in Eastern PA which has killer riding and have also been riding in AZ, UT, CO, NY, VT... so I've been here and there. Catawba is one of the nicest rides I've ever taken and should put a big grin on your face!
The park mentioned in the previuos post with the 2 different loops was great fun too, but not as cool as Catawba. IT is worth driving to, trust me!
Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Stranix said:
If you will be in Charolette, you absolutly must ride at Catawba! Ask at the shops about directions. I was there for a visit a few Thanksgivings ago and was directed to Catawba and I was thoroughly impressed with the large (1 1/2- 2 hours) loop of awesome singletrack that is there. I even went back the next day for more! I live in Eastern PA which has killer riding and have also been riding in AZ, UT, CO, NY, VT... so I've been here and there. Catawba is one of the nicest rides I've ever taken and should put a big grin on your face!
The park mentioned in the previuos post with the 2 different loops was great fun too, but not as cool as Catawba. IT is worth driving to, trust me!
Jim
Agree, with one caviott: Check with the folks on SmallBrownDog.com, as there has been a lot of talk about closing catawba trails down so they can make a water/kayak park at the bend in the river (one of the funnest parts of the trail, too). Anyway, I live about 3 hours away from Charlotte, so I don't know the current status of the trail, but you should check it out before committing to drive there.

If you can add a 2 hour drive, you can hit Pisgah or DuPont. Arguably among the best riding East of the Mississippi.....

[edit}: Stranix, if you like Catawba, you should like living up near RDU pretty well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Catawba is closed for the next year or so due to construction. If you are caught out there you will be arrested for trespassing.

Look at the Trailblazers' forums. There is at least one guy looking for rides today and/or tomorrow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry about the cheers for Catawba. I did not know it was closed :mad:
It was a couple of years ago when I was there. Let's hope that it becomes legal again real soon.
Have fun wherever you may decide to go!
Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips! My riding time got cut short so I ended up going to Renaissance Park near downtown Charlotte. It was a lot of fun and actually was a lot like one of the trail systems I ride back in Lynchburg at Peaks View Park.

Catawba is definitely closed though. They are building some kind fo water park or something. Sucks. I have way to many sarcastic and bitter comments but we all know how we feel about crap like that.

I was also told about about Poplar Tent but I wont be able make it out today. Lot's of rain and I just don't have as much time I was hoping for. Oh well, I'll catch it next time I am in town.

I also found this site that was pretty cool: http://tarheeltrailblazers.com/

If you want to see pictures and such from my ride, I have them on my site at: http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/04/29/471/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.