Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I ride a Giant Yukon Hard Tail 19" frame and had a question about riding rock garden comprising of switch backs. On the trail that I ride regularly there is a certain section of rock garden that has considerable ascents and descents. My bike handles the descents quite well but it is the ascents that have been troubling me.
As rocks are stern all around the track, I have to carefully navigate and find a path of least resistance. However, as I am climbing to, a hit on the a rock and my front wheel goes free. It no longer is staying put on the ground. This make it all the more difficult for me to control the bike and eventually have to stop and get off it. I normally climb sitting down and sit on the front edge of the seat so as to shift my weight to the front wheel. This is still not helping me navigate this section of the trail successfully.
This being the Giant Forum, I thought let me take advice from my fellow ''giants" :) as to what I should be doing. Any help in this regard should help me tackle the trail better.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Front-end Comes Flying up While Going Uphill

Hello, There could be more than one thing causing your front end to boble up as you ascend rocky terrain. Naturally, the rocks will cause your front tire to bounce up and your fork decompresses, which causes the front end to bounce upwards even more. Body positioning also causes your front end to go up, since gravity pulls your body downward. If you are sitting up straight, the center of gravity is higher, which causes you to fall back at a flatter angle.
Try lowering your body so that your chest is closer to the handle bar than normal.
Also, try handling the grips on your bike further down than usual; that is, your wrists should bend and your hand should point upwards as if you were pulling the throttle of a motorcycle to it's max. This will have you pulling the bike backwards instead of up. Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You're on a hardtail riding uphill through a rock garden...First off stand up and learn to adjust your body to aid in momentum getting over stuff.

It is very difficult to climb while seated when riding technical terrain.

Best of luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Got a chance to try out the advice that has been provided and it works great for me. I did not stand up to climb the section but leaned forward in attack position and followed the right line. The next time I am on the trail, I will surely try climbing the technical section standing up.

Thanks once again for helping me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.