Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to SS and about to convert my old hardtail to SS.

1. Is there anything I should be changing in terms of my riding postion. Since there is a lot of out of seat riding should my handle bars be set higher?

2. Are ther any disadvantages in using a converted bike instead of a SS only established bike?

3. I am 6 feet. What are the advantages of 29 ers? Should I be considering this option?

Thanks

Badsmells

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
badsmells said:
1. Is there anything I should be changing in terms of my riding postion. Since there is a lot of out of seat riding should my handle bars be set higher?
Wide riser bars are recommended.

badsmells said:
2. Are ther any disadvantages in using a converted bike instead of a SS only established bike?
Advantage: It's an economical introduction to the sport. (among others)
Disadvantage: Usually requires a chain tensioner. It leaves you wanting more and better bike. (among others)

badsmells said:
3. I am 6 feet. What are the advantages of 29 ers? Should I be considering this option?
Think about this one after you ride your convert for a while.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
wide bars and big wheels

There are several bars options, the standard these days is the wide riser bar 27-28". Carbon risers are nice especially if you run a rigid fork. A Jones H-bar is real nice, but a bit pricey. The new Mary bars from One One look promising, but they are new and nobody here ( North America) has ridden them yet. We will no doubt get a ride report soon. Some guys still like flat bars with bar ends and a few run dirt drops, mustache bars etc.

I have had three 26" wheeled SS bikes, but I just got a sweet 29r. I think 29" is the way to go eventually when you are hooked and have the budget to buy or build a dedicated SS bike. If you just want to try SS and you have a decent old geary convert it. You will learn some stuff in the process and you can try it cheap. If you get hooked, you can upgrade later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.