Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What's everyone wear once it gets chilly? I'd rather not go with lycra tights and some baggy shorts over them. Pricepoint has some o'neal pants on sale for 30 bucks right now(normal price is 75) that I'm looking at. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm fine in a nice pair of Levis jeans from freezing temperature all the way on up to about 105*F. much hotter than taht and I don't get further than the front door.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Just wear baggie shorts as normal, and pad up with some 661 Kyle Strait kneepads, or full shin/knee guards. Warm and smart to cover crash potential.

·
beautiful jackass
637 Posts
I wear some regular pants made out of a tough cotton material. As long as I'm not wearing tight pants I do just fine, and I don't own any tight pants so I don't have much to worry about. That said, I would rather have a pair of biking-specific pants but I just don't care enough.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,837 Posts
Endura knickers w/ tall wool socks + 661 neoprene knee pads or Pearl Izumi knee warmers if the riding is non-technical. Alternatively, Sugoi Matrix tights with Nema knickers over them - thats what I'm wearing right now - I just did a 20 degree dirt road ride. Up top, this time of year it's all about wool! (anytime of year really)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I wear my traditional baggies, knee/shin guards, and polypropolene dark blue long johns from WalMart at about $10 a pair. They're cheaper and more effective than bike store lycra tights and don't have that lycra "racer boy" look. The WalMart models are thin enough to wear under full exertion and still wick the sweat away and keep you warm. Just don't get the thicker "expedition" level polypro version...unless it's freakin' arctic outside. I also wear a thicker-than-bike-socks polypro sock that stays warm and wicks sweat excellently. Wicking the sweat away is critical.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Long biking pants with chamois, DH shorts, knee & shin guards & wool sox. A can of water proof spray for the shoes & if it wet a Fox clear plastic moto jacket. :thumbsup:

:nono: TNC not shopping at your LBS. :D

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hey...

dogonfr said:
Long biking pants with chamois, DH shorts, knee & shin guards & wool sox. A can of water proof spray for the shoes & if it wet a Fox clear plastic moto jacket. :thumbsup:

:nono: TNC not shopping at your LBS. :D
We got all that high tech fancy shmancy bike specific clothing. My $10 Walmart polypro long johns are still better and cheaper...even at employee cost.:D

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
I've got a pair of Zoic knickers, but I'd rather have the Enduras, wool socks and wool LS jersey. Add a PI wind vest and some arm warmers underneath, and I'm good to ~30° F.

·
crashes in parkinglot
1,257 Posts
I usually wear roadie shorts under regular synthetic hiking pants. Leg warmers if its cold and knee shin armor if there is snow on the ground.

Armor is nice and warm. The santa hat for the x-mas ride was a good idea too

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
This is the honest truth; sometimes I wear my Dickies work pants. If I go straight from work. Sometimes I wear them even if I am not coming from work. They are exceptionaly comfy and you can move in them better than jeans, they shed water great, and block the wind real nice. I have several cut-offs for summertime, and some I have cut as knickers. I really like the Double-Knee version. Plus you can get them at Walmart for less than 20. When it is luducrisly cold I will wear Duofold leggins under them.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
gop427 said:
This is the honest truth; sometimes I wear my Dickies work pants. If I go straight from work. Sometimes I wear them even if I am not coming from work. They are exceptionaly comfy and you can move in them better than jeans, they shed water great, and block the wind real nice. I have several cut-offs for summertime, and some I have cut as knickers. I really like the Double-Knee version. Plus you can get them at Walmart for less than 20. When it is luducrisly cold I will wear Duofold leggins under them.
I second the dickies! If I go out I'll just put my roach knee/shin pads underneath and wear the dickies. Super comfy and cheap too. If you look around you can find them on sale for $20 or less.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Riding and trail building all winter long has forced me to get more riding pants the past few years. I used to just wear tights under my baggies, but they were getting trashed. Wearing jeans is doable, but it's pretty damp around here and the cotton just gets wet and stays wet. Not a great option for the PNW.

I use a chamois under my riding pants and now own Fox Huck pants (don't think they're making them anymore) that are just about the right weight, Sombrio Roam pants (pretty darn thick for really cold days) that you can get on Pricepoint as well, some old-style Roach pants (gotta love the cod piece) that are great for cold days as well and super durable and some newer Adidas pants that I just got off of Pricepoint as well for $50.

Most of these pants are also baggy enough that I can fit my leg armor under them which is really nice on wet/cold Shore or Whistler days. Way more comfortable than wearing them over something.

Cheers,
EB

·
boomer
888 Posts
gop427 said:
I bought a pair of pants at Old Navy for $10 that look like these and even have a tightening cord at the ankle hems. They're not very warm but I wear my PI tights and road shorts under 'em and they're fantastic. I don't see them on their webiste now but you might check the store if ur interested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
lycra shorts with baggies over top as usual. Add to that my perl izumi leg warmers and smart wool sox.
upstairs I wear skin-tight underarmour-like shirt with perl izumi arm warmers and a regular short sleeve jersey over top. oh, and dont forget, decente 'cold out' gloves and a cannondale windbreaker with zip off sleves.

I like this setup because it is pretty versatile. If it ends up warming up morer than I expect I simply zip off the sleeves of the jacket, and/or remove the warmers and put them in my camelbak.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts