Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'll be heading east for a trip in July, passing through Amarillo. I'm going to ride Palo Duro Canyon for one day. Planning on July 5th.

Any local route recommendations would be cool. I have the state park map, already.

Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We've been there last summer. The trails there aren't that long, so you can ride them all within an hour or two. What I'm saying is, there is no need to recommend a trail, just enjoy them all :D

Watch out for the spiders, though!

·
Registered
178 Posts
paloduro

Park in the light house parking lot, exit the parking lot and turn left go through water crossing and turn onto paso del rio,total 100yds,ride this very easy trail for warm up,Hit pavement for 50 yds and hit spicer givens trail,more challenging and fun,at intersection of trails take Fox loop,then hit cottonwood flats to the lighthouse trail.Turn left,the trail to the right is no big deal,ride the light house to next trail intersection turn right onto backside of capital peak,about 100yds in take spur to right,real short technical section that cuts back into capital peak,Stay on capital peak until trail head,turn right and just stay on trail till it ends crossing pavement,not at park bench.now rideing creekside.keep going and stay to right at forks.You will end up back at the light house parking lot about 2 hours later and have ridden95%. repeat sections desired.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
30 years ago I was driving alone through Texas when I discovered Palo Duro Canyon--it was a beautiful and welcome oasis to me.

For some reason I had thought I might find beaches at Galveston. *laugh* Put a lot of TX miles on that rental.

·
Registered
13 Posts
C.J. said:
Hi all,

I'll be heading east for a trip in July, passing through Amarillo. I'm going to ride Palo Duro Canyon for one day. Planning on July 5th.

Any local route recommendations would be cool. I have the state park map, already.

Thanks for any help!!!!
A better place to ride is nearby, Caprock Canyon. you might like to check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Palo Duro

I started at the Lone Star Theater, to GSL Running Trail, to Little Fox, to Light House Peak, to Capitol Peak, then back on GSL Running Trail. It was a good loop and seemed to flow pretty well. The GSL Trail starts off pretty technical for beginner riders and my cousin ended up walking parts she wasn't comfortable on. Fox, Light House, and Capitol open up and you can rip through the Canyons and enjoy the ride

You can check out the map below and plan the route that best fits you:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/paloduro/pdcpfac.pdf

If you have the time hop off your bike and take the short hike up the Light House Peak and send me the picture from the top, because I forgot my camera in the car and kicked myself the whole ride back.

Be careful with the weather. The heat can zap you if you don't bring enough water, if there has been rain in the days prior watch the water crossings as the water will be way up in the Canyon. Don't try to beat any storms either, we got caught down in the Canyon a couple years back during a Texas Thunder Storm...not the life experience I look fondly on. Tire skins or a bottle of slime are not a bad idea either...ended up fixing two flats during the ride!

Great ride though, enjoy the views!

C.J. said:
Hi all,

t

Thanks for any help!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.