Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to Donner Lake (in the Sierra Nevada range) for a few days of family vacation and some riding. Original plan had one main ride with little WG (he's 9) and a big ride for me.
The smoky conditions made riding a crap shoot. Some days started great but ended looking like a fog bank, others, vice versa.
Riding with the kid is a blast. He's gotten more confident in him self. Sometimes to where my protective instincts want to jump in as he picks up speed. But I try to keep my yap shut and encourage as I can. Especially if I know he can make a certain move.
In the end there were 2 rides with him and a short ride up Shellenberger Ridge for me on the fourth.
So here's some shots of the adventures.

First day we went over to a little trail I know of that is great to buzz around some rocks 'n trees. He found the big rock and had at it few times until the pic came out right (future MTBR poser in the works here).

The afternoon of the 4th had all preparations set (establish space on the dock to view fireworks, chairs and cooler)... a couple of open hours appeared in the schedule. From the cabin, went up Shellenberger over the train tracks (if you know the area, you'll know the trail). Nice clear day and and adult hydration beverage to sit and look back at Donner with. mmmmm IPA

The 6th was the day to ride Immigrant Trail outside of Truckee. Start off with a shot of me and little WG. Credit to the Mrs for shuttling us over there. She then took off to Truckee to scrounge shops with the little girl.
- Now we know what trail we're on... first ridge to climb appears.
- LittleWG takes off down the trail. The start of the climb winds through the trees.

- No pics for a while until this short STIL climb. He was nearly tapped out but wanted to give this a go. Nearly made it but he spun out and was rather annoyed with himself. Once there he was willing to go on to the next ridge line.

We went a little further until a good break point. Time to break out the PB&J. He makes it further out each year. One day he'll make it all the way to the Stampede Reservoir.
The way back is a blur of keeping up with a happy kid who's already got the giant rope swing back at the lake in mind. We spent a few hours there too. Nice way to end a day. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot this one. A crappy pano of the view from the lake across to Shellenberger. Took this shot on the 5th. West shore on the right, East shore on the left (lost in the smoke).
This air really sucks.

Attachments

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Sucks about the smoke, but what a great time! I especially love this image.

wg said:
The way back is a blur of keeping up with a happy kid who's already got the giant rope swing back at the lake in mind.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Cool shots! Little wg is killin it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.