Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i'll be in vegas with the wife and another couple at the end of the month and i'm looking for info on renting/riding in the area. my buddy, who's also riding, found mcghie's and all mountain cyclery who do guided tours as well as rentals. I really don't feel like d*cking around with maps and whatnot and squandering our meager time so the guided thing seems nice especially since they'll both pick us up on the strip. So my real question is, would you suggest riding bootleg canyon (all mountain cyclery) or cottonwood valley (mcghie's)?

thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm no expert(I live in LA), but I've ridden both areas multiple times. My take: you don't need a guide at either...Cottonwood is wide open desert, so tough to get lost if you keep a few landmarks in your head. Bootleg is a pretty well marked trail system...and they even distinguish downhill from cross country. Cottonwood(again, my opinion) has much better scenery, but is less techy than Bootleg. Bootleg is more fun.
If you ride Cottonwood, try to hit the trail that the locals call "three mile smile." It's a blast. Deadhorse is a good loop, up Satan's staircase, down and around. You can definitely put some miles in out there...and finish with the "three mile smile."
At Bootleg, even the cross-country trails have some technical elements. I loved it there.

http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/

Try both if you have more than a day.

·
Registered
666 Posts
chidDONG said:
hey all, i'll be in vegas with the wife and another couple at the end of the month and i'm looking for info on renting/riding in the area. my buddy, who's also riding, found mcghie's and all mountain cyclery who do guided tours as well as rentals. I really don't feel like d*cking around with maps and whatnot and squandering our meager time so the guided thing seems nice especially since they'll both pick us up on the strip. So my real question is, would you suggest riding bootleg canyon (all mountain cyclery) or cottonwood valley (mcghie's)?

thoughts? thanks.
Bootleg Canyon. Plus they can shuttle you to the top if you're not in the mood for climbing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, you've swayed me. we might rent a car and get our bikes from las vegas cyclery and do an afternoon at bootleg and the following morning at cottonwood (assuming we can crawl out of bed). come to think of it, maybe we'll just catch a nap after bootleg and then stay up all night before the next ride. only in vegas.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Las Vegas Mountain Bike Group has group rides scheduled at both places pretty often, especially on weekends. If you want to save a few bucks, skip the guided tour and hook up with them.You're more than welcome to join along. If you have a specific day you want to ride and there's no scheduled ride just go into the message area and post it and I'm sure someone will be happy to meet up with you and give you a tour of the trails.

http://www.meetup.com/thelvmbg/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.