Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We're visiting Vancouver Island for four days and can ride this Saturday and Sunday. Does anybody want ot meet up and showacoupleof Brits any of these 3 trails?

Mt. Tzouhalem
Cumberland & Comox Lake
Campbell River

We'd like to ride forest XC with good climbs and twisty descents

Thanks for any interest

·
Gear Whore
1,354 Posts
Hey man, hope you enjoy your trip to the island...some great riding to be had. The bad thing is...we just got a big dump of snow then its soposed to get really cold for a week. :(

Anyway, if it does clear up there are some great sites on the island:

http://pedalhounds.com - blatant plug for my site...not alot of people on it as I have let it sit dormant for a while...but big changes coming.

http://vimb.com great local site with riders up and down the island

http://www.cvmtb.com/ - a great site for up island riders.

Good luck!

·
Mtbr member
102 Posts
I can show you Cumberland and Campbell River trails if you make it up - both excellent forest singletrack. An inch of powder on the ground up here currently and just above freezing. Riding should be fine though. Possible light flurries for Saturday, sun for Sunday.

·
Gear Whore
1,354 Posts
Goldfinger said:
I can show you Cumberland and Campbell River trails if you make it up - both excellent forest singletrack. An inch of powder on the ground up here currently and just above freezing. Riding should be fine though. Possible light flurries for Saturday, sun for Sunday.
Wow....we have more snow and are colder down here...that's different. I am in the Langford area and we have 3-5 inches of snow and the warmest it got was -2 today. Such odd weather for the south island....snow rides are fun...heh...

·
Registered
41 Posts
RIGHT ABOUT BRUTAL WEATHER

I am in Powell River and the your right about the rain and snow and wind greatly cutting riding time. I have only riden like twice in two months!

I am new to the Sunshine coast and I know these weather patterns aren't normal for this area. I wish I knew what normal was!

TAKE CARE

·
Registered
32 Posts
Trail recommendations

Dude - there are a lot of options on that map.

We drive up to the end of Weingle Raod (although lots of folks still call it Doumont) WE park at the Wasteland track and ride from there. The trails are actually pretty well marked and if you take a map too, it's easy to find your way around. We are exploring it now, as we are pretty new to the area and to mtn biking.

A good first time out is to climb way up the logging road to a trail called Upper Armegeddon. It is a little narrow and twisty, but fun. The advantage to climbing up to here is that almost everything else in downhill. Flow from Upper Arm down almost anything. TNT into Styx - look for Maryjane - leads into Flowshow, hook onto Corona. Lots of good stuff there.

If you are really looking for a longer ride - hang a right onto Briun - about a 5 - 7 minute climb onto it. Keep bearing right on the rads, look for Mal U. At the end of it, hang a left and ride way round to Rotten Rooter. Turn right at teh end and try Bubbles or Space Balls.

Another really good ride is the Abyss, but it is a little harder to find and not as well marked.

Are you gonna be out this way soon?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome...thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out your recommendations. I'm heading over to Nanaimo tomorrow for the long weekend. Not sure which day(s) I'll ride as I'll be with my wife. She is going horseback riding with a friend one of the days and I'm going to check this area out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.