Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife and I are taking a trip to Bellingham/Seattle for a week Sept 15-22. Plan on riding Galbraith, Duthie, Tiger, Raging River. I met a guy from Seattle this past weekend and he said his favorite trails are on Orcas Island. Are they any good? Worth a ferry ride and an overnight camping trip? From what I can tell most of the trails open after Oct. 15.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
The trails on Mount Constitution open on September 15th. They do provide a unique ecosystem to ride through compared to other locations in the area, and the trails are fun and high quality...but I wouldn't go so far as to specifically call them out as 'favorite' trails. I guess whether it is worth it for the $50+ ferry ride, lost hours in transit and cost to camp comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for.

If you're looking to ride as much as possible on a variety of trails with varying levels of difficulty, I'd stay on the mainland and ride the stuff you outlined above. There's plenty of variety there to keep you busy for a week no problem, and more if you included any alpine rides, Chuckanut, Hwy 410, etc.

If you're looking for an interesting and unique experience, taking the ferry to Orcas will be cool, and riding and camping on the island is a great time. It could make for a nice 'rest day', assuming you shuttle up the road.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The "clockwise corkscrew" down Constitution is DEFINITELY one of my favorite rides ever, absolutely beautiful terrain and views, nice flowy trails, and if you go during the week very few hikers to deal with. The climb up sucks ass, but if you can get someone to drive you up it's way better. :)

Follow that up with a dip in the lake and then dinner at Hogstone and you've got one of my favorite ways to spend a day.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
One of the most beautiful rides I have ever done. Have done both my rides in Mid October. One of the rides was clear day with clear views of Baker and Bellingham. The second ride as a gloomy socked in ride where the forest floor looked like moss carpet. Personally I would ride the road and as the poster above do the corkscrew.

It not just about the ride when riding Mt Constitution. It’s the entire experience.

Weik

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love Orcas... Like someone else already mentioned- the whole experience is what makes riding there so special. One of the most peaceful rides I've ever done was there this past January. Rode 4+ hours and didn't see another soul. It was amazing.

I just wanted to add too- Evergreen will be having the fall edition of our bi-annual gathering/campout/work party/ride party there from September 20-22 if you're looking to ride with a fun group!

More info here:

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/calend...sland-campout-backcountry-maintenance-program

All are welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.