Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this roadie talk got me behind on my testing. Bah. Ok, I took some stuff out today on a bicycle and I actually rode on off-road trails. Wow, what a concept.

The products were cool. They performed flawlessly but it is hard to tell since conditions were perfectly tacky. Fremont Older is dialed! Too bad it'll be soaked in about an hour.

The horsies I encountered 3x said I was the nicest mountain biker ever! Hear that? Ever!

Then this guy kept looking at the map so I talked to him and told him to ride with me. He's visiting from Quebec. Halfway through, I asked him what he does and he says "Oh I'm the stage manager for Cirque de Soleil. Sweeeet. I got the Cirque hookup now!!!!

fc

Attachments

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
omg...

I think I'm in love :eekster: No not with the horses, Francois or the stage manager for Cirque de Soleil- though there's nothing wrong with that ;)
It's the bike:thumbsup: Please don't tell my Heckler... it'll be our secret :cool:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Nice stuff! Ask him to hook you up with tickets to Ovo. It's Cirque's new show in SF; kids will dig it and right by the ball park.

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Zactly.........

grrrah said:
get back on your road bike and stop acknowledging others!
....he could at least give us a periodical update on the gadgets he's testing!! :cool:

So fc, tell me why I should get some of those funny grips you're sport'n for my SS?? :skep:

Thx in advance for the lead-in grrrah! :thumbsup:

·
I just wanna go fast!
1,942 Posts
The shot of the panaracers bugs me for some reason. Don't ramped knobs usually point in the direction of the rotation of the tire? Why ramp them the other way?

·
more skier than biker
2,390 Posts
bdamschen said:
The shot of the panaracers bugs me for some reason. Don't ramped knobs usually point in the direction of the rotation of the tire? Why ramp them the other way?
ha! I was thinking the same thing.

(also, check that chain tension) ;-)

nice ride!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
ha! I was thinking the same thing.

(also, check that chain tension) ;-)

nice ride!
Good eye Bdams and Tyrone. I put those on at random. I may have been to distracted aligning the logos like they do in lycra world. I just checked and there's no directional arrows. No manual either :)

But I may have gotten lucky. My fronts are mounted the way you describe, for better rolling resistance and better braking . The rears are reversed and they will have better climbing traction. Waddayasay. I'll research it and ask the Panaracer guy btw.

Chain tension... I may have to get a tensioner for that lucky gear of mine.

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
bdamschen said:
for the DHers, you are right. (which I think that tire is meant for)

for the xc guys riding their brakes, or climbing a lot, flip em.. at least thats common for nevegals and other tires.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
grrrah said:
for the DHers, you are right. (which I think that tire is meant for)

for the xc guys riding their brakes, or climbing a lot, flip em.. at least thats common for nevegals and other tires.
This is an XC tire. I have the all mountain, dh somewhere buried under all the roadie schit.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nativeson said:
looks like you coulda rode your road bike on those trails.....keep it real
Many still balk when I call this bike a mountain bike :)

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baycat said:
Nice stuff! Ask him to hook you up with tickets to Ovo. It's Cirque's new show in SF; kids will dig it and right by the ball park.
Ovo huh? Yeah, he said he was in the city for a month, now he's in San Ho til March. Hmmm... 4 Ovo tickets for a super secret singletrack tour sound like a fair trade?

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JMac47 said:
....he could at least give us a periodical update on the gadgets he's testing!! :cool:

So fc, tell me why I should get some of those funny grips you're sport'n for my SS?? :skep:

Thx in advance for the lead-in grrrah! :thumbsup:
You need this Jmac cause:

a) you're hands hurt
b) you're planning some endurance races this season
c) you don't do doubles and 8 foot drops
d) you don't mind an extra hundred grams
e) bar ends on an SS is like an extra gear and you needs it

I'm not a big fan of the old ergons since they're a tad big for me and I feel my hands are going to slip off the edge. But these are small and light . And the bar ends actually keep my hands in.

Reason not to get these Ergons. You have zero hand pain and you like to dh and jump. In those cases, there's no substitute for wrapping your fingers around the bar.

fc

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
ok Ok OK!

francois said:
You need this Jmac cause:

a) you're hands hurt
b) you're planning some endurance races this season
c) you don't do doubles and 8 foot drops
d) you don't mind an extra hundred grams
e) bar ends on an SS is like an extra gear and you needs it

I'm not a big fan of the old ergons since they're a tad big for me and I feel my hands are going to slip off the edge. But these are small and light . And the bar ends actually keep my hands in.

Reason not to get these Ergons. You have zero hand pain and you like to dh and jump. In those cases, there's no substitute for wrapping your fingers around the bar.

fc
I'll get me sum! Problem is there's too many styles to pick from and it gave me a headache......

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The way that rear is mounted, it gives good climbing traction and gives up braking traction. With a SS, climbing traction means a big deal.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
just moved to the s bay plan on riding this place quite a bit since its near my work ... hows it hold up in rain?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts