Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I am looking to buy a new FS bike and have been demoing some over the past year...29, 27.5, 27.5+. All that I have ridden have had pedal strikes in areas where I do not have any when I ride the bike I own, a 2011 Kona Tanuki (130mm, FS, 26" wheels). When I compare the new bikes to mine side by side I can see the BBs are lower. I understand this is part of the trends of the newer bike geometries, but am wondering what anyone has done about it who has bought a new bike recently. Have you adjusted your bike (shorter cranks, longer forks, etc), or adjusted your riding (pay closer attention to pedal location while riding up obstacles), or change your lines while riding where needed to avoid strike, or something else?

Where I have had the most strikes is riding upstream through the meadows over those water bars and riding downstream on the roxborough side up the hill just past plymouth rock and the small stream that flows down from the golf course up over the series of rock "steps".

·
Registered
122 Posts
I haven't adjusted anything over the years of riding at the Wiss with the few bikes I've owned. If a pedal strike happens, I assume it was my own fault. My latest bike, a 2014 trek slash, has 175 mm cranks, and even in the slackest setting (65 HA), I have no issues with pedal strikes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Even with 170mm cranks I do find my new carbon stache bb very low and hard to get used to regarding pedal strikes. I seem to hit them at least 2x a ride these days and never remember these issues before. That said it isn't a huge issue and the low bb makes it ride better everywhere else so it is just a tradeoff. I also learned that even at 6'3" riding ss I don't mind shorter 170 cranks a bit. If I ever find a deal on 165s I might pick up a set. That seems to be the only way to increase rock clearance these days. Of course there is better technique as well but Dammit sometimes you just need to pedal... 😉

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Honestly, the rocks are becoming less and the trails becoming more flowey to fit these new bikes anyway....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I rode the Wiss today on a Trance 2 rented from Cadence. Think I hit my pedals once and that was clearly my fault as I thought, "I bet if I keep pedaling at this cadence I'll hit that rock ... SCRAPE..... yep".

On a different note, loved the trails I did. Put in 23 miles and almost 3K of climbing. There is one part of Top of Goras to Henry (I think?) that has a big tree blocking the trail. You have to do the limbo while carrying your bike to go over about three limbs. I got a good scratch on my left shin and it is inflamed aka a good chance I got some poison ivy in there as well. Cool story since I will be dressed in Tivek all day tomorrow. I bet it spreads. Oh well.

Lots of rocky rooty drops I enjoy a lot:

Natural environment Mountain bike Soil Forest Mountain biking

You guys got some nice trails! Hoping I get a chance to ride Belmont before I leave!

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh, and Crossbow is listed as a green circle but worth the extra effort. Mostly true on the rating except that there's a small bit of advanced intermediate in the light bulb near Parkside (kind of a possibility of falling off a cliff if you mess up the line at the ledges and go over!).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I rode the Wiss today on a Trance 2 rented from Cadence. Think I hit my pedals once and that was clearly my fault as I thought, "I bet if I keep pedaling at this cadence I'll hit that rock ... SCRAPE..... yep".

On a different note, loved the trails I did. Put in 23 miles and almost 3K of climbing. There is one part of Top of Goras to Henry (I think?) that has a big tree blocking the trail. You have to do the limbo while carrying your bike to go over about three limbs. I got a good scratch on my left shin and it is inflamed aka a good chance I got some poison ivy in there as well. Cool story since I will be dressed in Tivek all day tomorrow. I bet it spreads. Oh well.

Lots of rocky rooty drops I enjoy a lot:

View attachment 1266449

You guys got some nice trails! Hoping I get a chance to ride Belmont before I leave!
Still the best "city" park that I have even ridden. One section that I miss more than anything is the little trail behind the parking lot of bell mill road. The one that goes along the river and ends at Germantown avenue. A bunch of rocks and junk that I always loved at the end of a long ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.