Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you Chico-ians...I'm going to be heading down that way over the holidays and was wondering what a nice afternoon ride might be, difficulty level doesn't matter.

Would love to get up with some of the locals to see what you have down there...from what I understand, there's some great DH-ness (could be wrong there, but for some reason I'm under that impression), but since I won't be bringing that bike, it would be cool to do a good trail ride.

Any info will help....and thanks in advance!

Scott

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
We talken motorized or not?
If moto, then I'll give you some pointers for Stony.

Otherwise, this time of year, bundle up a bit and drive up to Redding/Whiskeytown area for some great riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chico trails

If you are in Chico, there are plenty of intermediate to advanced level trails in upper bidwell park. Most of it is pretty rocky, technical single track with some downhill sections. All of them are ridable on your XC or AM MTB. If you want to check out some smoother trails there is plenty of single track near the Oroville dam.

Whiskeytown is about an hour and a half north of Chico.

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
What a couple of odd tangents this thread has taken. :confused:

First with the silly notion that homeboy was talking about dirtbikes and then with the recommendation of driving an hour and a half North when some world class mtb action is right there in Upper Bidwell, a 10 minute bike ride from any given location in Chico.

Anyways, just roll up to one of the bike shops and get the trail map and have fun. Middle Trail is always a nice little roll. If you really want to bring on the pain, you can ride up the North Rim Trail and then either ride back down it or catch B Trail down.

I'll be in Chico at some point during Christmas week. I always ride North Rim > B Trail > Middle Trail and when time permits I add a Middle Trail > Lower Trail loop.

I don't venture over to the South side much, but that's where the DH shuttlekids like to play.

Here's the map of Upper Park:
http://chicovelo.org/pdf/BCAG_BIKE_MAP_back_web.pdf

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
w00t! said:
What a couple of odd tangents this thread has taken. :confused:

First with the silly idea that homeboy was talking about dirtbikes and then with the absurd recommendation of driving an hour and a half North when some world class mtb action is right there in Upper Bidwell, a 10 minute bike ride from any given location in Chico.

Anyways, just roll up to one of the bike shops and get the trail map and have fun. Middle Trail is always a nice little roll. If you really want to bring on the pain, you can ride up the North Rim Trail and then either ride back down it or catch B Trail down.

I'll be in Chico at some point during Christmas week. I always ride North Rim > B Trail > Middle Trail and when time permits I add a Middle Trail > Lower Trail loop.

I don't venture over to the South side much, but that's where the DH shuttlekids like to play.

Here's the map of Upper Park:
http://chicovelo.org/pdf/BCAG_BIKE_MAP_back_web.pdf
Thanks, man! That's exactly what I was looking for. Muchas Gracias!

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Some shots from my first couple of rides in Upper Bidwell. These are all from Middle Trail, except the second lake pic.

Horseshoe lake...

It took me a long time to get to the point where I could clean this little dippy section regularly...

looking up on the North Rim of Bidwell Canyon...

and then looking down the canyon (thus the name "Middle Trail")...

bummer about the power lines that run through the canyon, but hey, whaddaya gonna do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.