Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going up to Arnold for the first time in years, and this time I am old enough to care about some good mountain biking. Is there anything fun in the vicinity? I know there is something in Angels camp, and up at bear valley, but is there anything fun in Arnold itself? I'm also quite open to suggestions in Angel's camp or Bear, whatever ya'll have would be helpful. If it matters, I'm more of a singletrack guy, but overall dirt will work. Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go to the Bear Valley XC center

It is in the gas station. Jody will hook you up. You can buy maps, but the trails can be ridden right from town with a little direction from those in the store. The trails may have deadfall, so be careful on the downhills. As for Arnold or Angels Camp, other people can speak to that. I lived in Bear Valley for many years, so I never went down to Arnold or Angels to ride. Also search for ride reports already posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my folks live in meadowmont and i've done some riding around there but it was very minimal. there is an arnold rim trail in the works. i'm not sure how close it is to being complete. it's supposed to be a 35 mile loop when it is complete. try googling it.

·
dw22107
174 Posts
Arnold riding

I have a house in Arnold. My regular ride.

Start in Blue Lake Springs
Down Moran road to Avery
Cross Highway 4 on to Sheep Ranch
Go about 2.5 miles to top of the hill and take fireroad to the right.

This fireroad will take you back up to Arnold. There are signed singletracks on the northside of the road which eventually meet back up with this fireroad. Follow the fireroad back up to Meadowmont.

For additional riding to make a long day of it. Descend out of Meadowmont into town take Highway 4 to through town and turn left towards whitepines lake. Go past the lake and continue on the main logging road. After 2 miles there is a turnoff for motorcyle parking, (fun trail in there) continue up to the fork another mile and stay to the right. This road (Summit Level) will take you along the ride until you eventually decend into Camp Connell /Dorrington. There are a few single track spur trails, (watch out for the resident mountain lion). Once you get into Camp Connell/Dorrington go to the Lube Room for a burger and well earned beers. Then take Highway 4 one mile turn left into Big Trees Village. Once on the west side of the development (i think cheyene road?) there is a trail which takes you into Big Trees State Park. Take the fire roads through Big Trees State Park which will empty you out into Arnold.

Enjoy

·
Registered
759 Posts
my $.02

garcia said:
So, I am going up to Arnold for the first time in years, and this time I am old enough to care about some good mountain biking. Is there anything fun in the vicinity? I know there is something in Angels camp, and up at bear valley, but is there anything fun in Arnold itself? I'm also quite open to suggestions in Angel's camp or Bear, whatever ya'll have would be helpful. If it matters, I'm more of a singletrack guy, but overall dirt will work. Thanks
There are great trails out of Bear Valley up to Alpine Lake and over to the BV ski area. Check with the shop in the BV gas station as mentioned earlier. Spicer Resivour also has good riding. Send a PM to Ogre or check his website (something like Ogre hut). Fred-da-trogg is also a good reference.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was going to suggest Bear Valley too. I did a great ride there about 10 years ago. My girlfriend's parents lived in Arnold and we were staying with them. I had her drop me off at the Bear ski area, rode up to the top of the hill, then dropped down the other side on some really nice single track. I did miles and miles of single track, eventually hitting a dirt road which popped me out onto hwy 4 about 10 miles west of Bear. From there I just coasted all the way back down to Arnold. I don't remember the details, trail names, etc. but it was pretty fun. Nothing technical but some great scenery.

Check out http://www.bearvalley.com/07_summer/activities/biking.asp

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
Stop at the Forest Service building in Hathaway Pines and ask for a map of the "Interface Trails". It's a combination of singletrack and dirt road trails near Avery. Aside from that, there's miles of trails that go between Big Trees Park and various parts of Arnold. There's more, but I'm not tellin'.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would go to Bear Valley also. It would take you 2 to 3 days to cover all the trails up there. Get some maps. Take everyones advice here. Go have fun.:)

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
I took my wife and kids to Calaveras Big Trees SP. There's no singletrack to be ridden there legally but since my goal was to pull a kid trailer with the 2 little ones, ride with my noobie wife and semi-noobie teenager, fireroads under humungous trees fit the bill.

We rode around the southern loop until my noobies got tired. Then we went back.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
In years past, the trails around Arnold have been clear enough to ride in March or April. In Bear Valley, the the trails aren't clear of snow until mid to late June, and it usually takes a few weeks after that for all the deadfall to be cleared.

I was in Arnold a few weeks ago and most of it was under a foot of snow, so I rode Glory Hole in Angels Camp. Glory Hole can be ridden all year long. (although the mid-summer heat there is brutal) By riding the Carson Creek trail as an out-and-back, and hitting most of the other trails, I usually get in 12-16 miles.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hasn't been snow in Arnold for a couple of weeks now and most of the south facing hills look clear but snow is still in the shade. call SNAC or the Adventure company in Bear Valley and they could give you more. I just drove through on the way up skiing but Glory Hole was in perfect condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.