1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I want to ride my bicycle
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding North Umpqua this weekend for the first time, my plans are:

Day 1: Dread & Terror -> Hot Springs -> Deer Leap
Day 2: Panther -> Mott -> Tioga

I was hoping to ride the Calf section, but the BLM website says it's still closed. Anything else I should be concerned about or prepared for?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Massive quantities of poison oak from Panther down. You'll see a bit at the end of deer leap, but not too much to be concerned about. On the lower trail, it is pretty much impossible to avoid. Wear long clothing if you are sensitive.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
That website is woefully out of date. Calf has been open for 4-5 years now, and it's in good shape. It's quite rocky, and alot of fun. You should definitely do it. Consider adding Marsters and Calf to day 2, and maybe skipping Tioga instead. Tioga is fun, but it's the longest section, and the least excting piece of the NUT (with the exception of the descent off Bob's Butte)

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sasquatch said:
That website is woefully out of date. Calf has been open for 4-5 years now, and it's in good shape. It's quite rocky, and alot of fun. You should definitely do it. Consider adding Marsters and Calf to day 2, and maybe skipping Tioga instead. Tioga is fun, but it's the longest section, and the least excting piece of the NUT (with the exception of the descent off Bob's Butte)
I'm aware that Calf has been open for years now, but I thought the notice on the BLM website was more of a recent thing due to washouts or something. Am I to understand that Calf is in great condition and currently rideable? Thanks.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
jerms said:
I'm aware that Calf has been open for years now, but I thought the notice on the BLM website was more of a recent thing due to washouts or something. Am I to understand that Calf is in great condition and currently rideable? Thanks.
I rode it 4th of July. No problems.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sasquatch said:
I rode it 4th of July. No problems.
Great, so with the information about the Poison Oak on the lower trails and Calf being open, do you think this is a good change of plans for my Day 2 ride:

Jessie Wright -> Marsters -> Calf -> Panther -> Mott

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jerms said:
Great, so with the information about the Poison Oak on the lower trails and Calf being open, do you think this is a good change of plans for my Day 2 ride:

Thanks.
I like to avoid as much of the PO as possible.

I would start higher and have your overnight at Tokatee CG.

Deer Leap starts with a pretty stiff climb. May be better to start the day with it than have it nearer to the end of a long day.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
jerms said:

Thanks.
Jessie wright is closed on the upper end due to construction work at soda springs. You can do an out n back from the lower end or skip it. Its nice but not anything special.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
If your group is in decent shape, your current plan should.ne.fine. I am in pretty bad shape, and I did the same thing without much trouble.
Camp at eagle rock, or boulder flat as a good halfway point.

shiggy said:
I like to avoid as much of the PO as possible.

I would start higher and have your overnight at Tokatee CG.

Deer Leap starts with a pretty stiff climb. May be better to start the day with it than have it nearer to the end of a long day.

·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sasquatch said:
Jessie wright is closed on the upper end due to construction work at soda springs. You can do an out n back from the lower end or skip it. Its nice but not anything special.
Ok, so if I were to try the following, is there any way I could get around the construction at Jessie Wright without diverting to the highway?

Deer Leap -> Jessie Wright -> Marsters -> Calf

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No. That is why I suggest starting at Illahee Flat and ride down the Illahee Flat Trail to where it meets Jessie Wright. The Soda Springs trailhead is closed along with the trail from Boulder Creek to Medicine Creek Road. This includes the western end of Deer Leap along with the eastern end of Jessie Wright.

Also, be aware that the Hot Springs trailhead is closed while they replace the bridge. There is a log bridge a short ways downstream you can use to cross.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts