Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

well, I am doing a 6 hour race in May...my first endurance race. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon and a SC Heckler. I am sure I can ride the Heckler comfortably for that long, but I am concerned about the cumulative effect of the 30+lbs of weight... The Chameleon would be lighter, but I think my back would take a pounding...Is the heckler the right play here, guys?

Also, if I like the race and decide to do more, what would be a good racing platform, for a 6'5" 260 lbs Clyde? Sc Superlight?? SC Blur? Titus Racer X? Yeti 575??

any feedback from big guys who do endurance racing is especially welcome!

big bob~:D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
29er forum

I think you should take a look over in the 29er forum. Also take alook at the 29er Shootout that was posted up last weekend. I'm 6'2+" and I'm going the 29er route, if I was 6'5" I would definitely look into 29ers as they actually are made bigger in the bigger sizes - XXL and the general frames are bigger. Looking to get a Niner R.I.P.9 which I plan to use for the LT100 in August.

Rthur2sheds said:
Hey guys............Also, if I like the race and decide to do more, what would be a good racing platform, for a 6'5" 260 lbs Clyde? Sc Superlight?? SC Blur? Titus Racer X? Yeti 575??

any feedback from big guys who do endurance racing is especially welcome!

big bob~:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've done all my endurance racing on a chameleon. Last year it was four 12 hours and a 24, all solo. It may be a bit of a "harsh" ride, but the geometry is relaxed, it puts your weight back on the bike and I feel like it keeps me from having to support so much weight with my arms. It's all about trade offs. I'm a chameleon fan boy though, so it's hard for me to see faults in that frame.

The only problem I have is that there is *no* mud clearance in the rear of the older models. My racer is a 99 and it is awful as soon as there is any mud on the trail. I have an 05 too, and it's a whole lot better in the mud.

Unless you're going for a win, I wouldn't worry about the bike too much for a 6 hour. Just take the bike you enjoy riding the most and try to lighten it up as much as you reasonably can.

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brass...

good to know you've hadsuccess on your lizard. I rode the course today (27 degrees!!!) onthe Heckler and as you suggest,i don't think there would be much advantage gained by riding the Chameleon...On the other hand, on the Heckler, I may not be the fastest, but I would likely be the most comfortable!!! It'sa doggon barca-lounger!

I will try the lizard too, just to see how itfeels...the course is not too technical...a couple of good climbs, a section with some significant drops...nothing too gnarly though...mud clearance really should not be an issue

LyNx...thanks for your suggestion. I do plan on demoing some 29ers. I HAVE ridden a few already and I must say that my initial impressions are that the hype does not live up to the ride. It is also my impression that while the quality ofadd-ons and upgrades for29ers (i.e. forks) is improving all the time, that there is much wider selection in the 26" world...BUT, Iam keeping an open mind!!! The Titus Racer-X 29er is on my dhort list as is the Ventana El Capitan

thanks guys!

bob~

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So out of curiosity what 29ers have you had a chance to actually test ride? Sadly I don't have 2k to spend on a frame, so that limits my search possibilities but to be honest I think I've found my 29er FS already in the Niner R.I.P.9 - from all descriptions from riders it rides pretty much like my Trance, but maybe climbs a bit better and all I really wanted for the Trance was a RP23 and was thinking a 29er Trance would be sweet.

Rthur2sheds said:
LyNx...thanks for your suggestion. I do plan on demoing some 29ers. I HAVE ridden a few already and I must say that my initial impressions are that the hype does not live up to the ride. It is also my impression that while the quality ofadd-ons and upgrades for29ers (i.e. forks) is improving all the time, that there is much wider selection in the 26" world...BUT, Iam keeping an open mind!!! The Titus Racer-X 29er is on my dhort list as is the Ventana El Capitan

thanks guys!

bob~

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
demoes...

LyNx...

I got to try a Gary Fisher...a KHS and a Salsa. I liked the Salsa (Mariachi?) the best, but the Fisher got the most extensive workout from me... I did like the climbing and traversing capabilities that the big hoops imparted...how much of that is actual versus psychological remains to be seen. On the downside, I didn't feel like I had as intuitive "trail feel" on the niners I tried...again, how much of that is in my head, I can't say for sure... Maybe I bought too much into the initial hype and was expecting a big revelation? The differences I felt were marginal and not worth (at least not at this point) for the trade-off in interchangeability and overall quality with respect to upgrades... But, Like I said, I am keeping an open mind. My pal just ordered the Titus Racer-X niner...I am anxious to try that one!!!

b~

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
demoes...

LyNx...

I got to try a Gary Fisher...a KHS and a Salsa. I liked the Salsa (Mariachi?) the best, but the Fisher got the most extensive workout from me... I did like the climbing and traversing capabilities that the big hoops imparted...how much of that is actual versus psychological remains to be seen. On the downside, I didn't feel like I had as intuitive "trail feel" on the niners I tried...again, how much of that is in my head, I can't say for sure... Maybe I bought too much into the initial hype and was expecting a big revelation? The differences I felt were marginal and not worth (at least not at this point) for the trade-off in interchangeability and overall quality with respect to upgrades... But, Like I said, I am keeping an open mind. My pal just ordered the Titus Racer-X niner...I am anxious to try that one!!!

b~

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Guy I know did a 12 Hour solo on a Kona Stinky...He turned in 10 laps, and said the same thing..."it was so plush, I could just keep riding"

Food for thought?

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RSW42

indeed it is... seems to me if you're going to do anything for 6-12 hours, you might as well be comfortable doing it,eh?

My Heckler is like a bike Coupe DeVille...

·
Registered
553 Posts
For what it's worth my TR teammate is in the process of lightening his 36lb Ellsworth Moment for next summer's big ride. The bike is currently built to take huge hits with very burly parts and has 6" travel. He rides the thing everywhere and *always* pedals his way to the top of big climbs, even on big all day epics with lots of hike-a-bike. He's not a big guy, about 6' and maybe 190lbs, but he's comfortable on the bike, knows its limits, and doesn't want to ride anything else. We're hoping he can get it down to 30 pounds or so for a reasonable amount of money (going to smaller suspension and lighter drivetrain and stem primarily).

Anyway, my point is that I don't know if my partner is doing the right thing with bringing that bike to TransRockies, but it sounds to me that if he's willing to try riding that there, then you'll probably be just fine riding your Heckler for 6hours. You might want something lighter by the day's end, but then again you might be happy to have something comfortable and familliar. And for a guy your size, what's a couple extra pounds on the bike? A guy weighing 180 will notice the 3 or 4 pound difference on his bike a lot more than a guy weighing 260. It's all relative.

·
Registered
407 Posts
like it's been said, it all comes down to what you're comfortable with. I just did a 12hr solo on a 29er hard tail. I was comfortable all day. if you are going to go the 29er route though - you can't go wrong with a Niner. I have their EMD9 hard tail, and it's the bike I'll ride over my Superlight every time (I also have a GF paragon that I'd ride before the Superlight if it didn't break like everyone elses). Also just FYI - I'm 6'5" and 205lbs.

another decision for me the in the comfort factor was - I hate camelbacks/backpacks and the hard tail allows me to carry 2 bottles without one mounted underneath the downtube.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Didn't go 29er aye

That should work weight wise compared to the Heckler, but how's it fit you? Do they make an XXL RacerX?

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fits great! I have short legs for my frame (34.5" inseam)...

I was not averse to the idea of a 29er, I just think that there is still a considerable drop off between what is available for 29 versus 26 inch wheeled bikes (especially fork-wise). Besides, I have ridden several 29ers and did NOT have the "revelation" that many have shared... for me, the hype far out paces the reality

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.