Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Check out this...

Stumbled across www.clubmtb.com and found info. for riding near Troy, PA and an mtb club in Towanda, PA. Otherwise, check out Eagles Mere Mountain Bikes. They are supposed to have some good riding in and around the World's End State Park near Forksville. Unsure of a phone # or web address. Do a search on them and give them a call.
Hope that it helps.
Good riding!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check out the guy at Eagles Mere, he'll show you more miles of trails than you can do in a summer, there are so many trails there; however, few people ride them, so the grass grows up on them. I'm going there later in the summer and look forward to hitting those great trails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anybody know if Craig/Eagles Mere Bikes is still around? I can't find his website..I'm heading out there camping in few weeks and hoping to get some riding in. Last few trips out he's really steered me to some good riding...anyone been out there lately for a trail report?

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Last # I had for him was...

Don't think that the bike shop itself has been in operation in the last few years. I believe that he may still be "guiding" though.
I thought that I came across a thread recently (PA Forum?) that a guy was up there and said that it was tough to see the trail in places. (So grown in.) Terrible to have such good riding so "close" to home yet not being able to get up there that much.

Anyway. The last phone number that I have (off of an old Eagles' Mere Mountain Bikes T-Shirt is 717-525-3368 but, I believe that the area code might be 570 now for that area.
Otherwise, search the forums for "World's End State Park" or "Eagles Mere". Or, start a new thread so that more people will see it.

At the very least, call a few places in Eagles Mere to see if they know what's up with Craig. (A restaurant or hardware store, etc.) Can lead to a lot of info. in a small town like that.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Just looked in some of my old PM's and found this...

mbike said:
Anybody know if Craig/Eagles Mere Bikes is still around? I can't find his website..I'm heading out there camping in few weeks and hoping to get some riding in. Last few trips out he's really steered me to some good riding...anyone been out there lately for a trail report?
The user that rode with Craig is called RedVoodoo or maybe Red Voodoo. Look him up and drop him a PM or an email and maybe he still has Craig's Contact info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a map I got from Craig a few years ago, also the Wyoming state forest map you get at Worlds end is pretty good but doesn't note ridable/non-ridable trails. I'm actually heading out there in a few hours for the weekend and hope to be able to find at least the Gate 7 trail and a few others I rode a few years back - I'll post what I find and could try emailing a copy of the Eagles mere map next week..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help because I don't have any maps, and only rode there once so can't even give directions or anything. I do remember, however, that we started off near the beach in Eagles Mere, there were some trails across the street from it...I also remember riding on the Loyalsock Trail some. I'm not sure where you are, but there is loads of riding near Wellsboro too, Denton Hill has riding, but even moreso there is riding in Pine Creek Valley.

Mark

·
ganginwood
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EaglesMere

craig is still around. i have no idea how to contact him but we crossed paths at the marysville race. a friend was going to introduce us but i drank too much and forgot to follow up. i too, would like some inside info on his trail system. i've heard nothing but great things.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Eagles Mere / Loyalsock (Wyoming) SF / Worlds End

Ok, just got back yesterday from 4 days of camping at World End SP. Riding was somewhat limited due to big rain Wednesday and Fri/Sat so I don't have alot to report in the way of singletrack. But if the mud and muck is going to keep you on fire roads I don't think there are too many places I'd rather be - very scenic with lots of grades, streams, waterfalls, vistas etc...the best was Worlds End to Canyon Vista to High Knob - 17+/- miles R/T. Once you venture off the fire roads or double track be prepared to hike a bike or just plain hike though - lots of good stuff on the Loyalsck trail. The Eagles Mere Bikes map that I had was not real useful without input from Craig as my copy didn't have any sort of rating or even trail names on it. Riding out from Worlds End on the mineral Spring Road on Friday I checked out Double Run Trail off of Shanenburg - uneventful double track:( . Did end on good note Sunday with the 7 Streams trail - Trailhead at new gate off Shanneburg just east of cold run road - follow red blaze. Really nice double/single track, not too techincal but some roots and the stream crossings are a BLAST, the rain being what it was, my feet got wet a few times. Good shape and saw some recent tracks, although trail gets lost in a few places with fern growth and in the marsh/meadow section (work your way around the left side til it narrows down to the stream). Watch out for logs concealed in the ferny singletrack - nutted myself pretty good on one! Again, this trail is reaally scenic - the only problem with it is that its just not long enough - maybe 3 miles?!?! But it makes a nice loop from WESP/Shanenburg/7 Streams/ Rt 154. If you go, download a copy of the Wyoming (newly renamed Loyalsock) SF map as I was told at the park office that there out to print. Hope this helps any one who's going out that way. Oh and I did a Yahoo people search on Craig and found a number but didn't get a chance to try it before I left ...Peace

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Thanks, man! I think that's just what kind of report we needed!

I rode it a few years back alone (At the time, the "off" season for Craig...going on verbal directions he gave me over the phone) and had the same experience as you. Losing the trail, etc. and I was riding it in early December!

BUT...think of what that place COULD be like! If only ridden more...so that trails STAYED trails instead of growing over. Man, it could be a BONANZA! Especially with the park facilities, the beauty of the area, the vista(s), etc. Not to mention how sweet the single track COULD be with all of the diff. terrain there.

Like i said a few posts above. Hard to find a place that's not so good because it isn't ridden ENOUGH. Mostly, we all find the opposite. Trails that suck, or are great& damaged, because of overuse.

My family has had a cabin in Bradford county (about a half hour north on 154) for years. Every time I'm heading up I think..."Man, if I only had the time to work on this place..."

Thanks for the update. You are, indeed, the man for posting your experience.

Did you happen to go to "The Barn" for a beer?

Oh, and uh, saw in your profile that you were from Bethlehem, PA. So's my bike! An EWR...from Monocacy Street in Bethlehem! (Gotta' get up to the Brew Works soon!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, thanks for the trail updates. Any chance you could scan / copy / or fax Craig's old map would be awesome too. I am headed up this coming weekend. I will report back on what we find from exploring also. I am hoping to have the energy left for a little trail maintenance so that perhaps I can revisit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
eagles mere / worlds end mt biking trails

https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...lesmeremap.jpg

here's a scan of craig old map, tried to piece it together

the other one has the numbers on it - they are on highway reflector signs at the intersections, handy after you make a wrong turn or someone (hikers) get lost

https://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...orldsend02.jpg

going to go to kinko's to see if they'll copy the old one full size

will be riding for week starting 7/21, highlighted orange was what i rode 1st year -several eyars ago, done most everything, stuff to left of 154 was a mess copy of years ago, overgrown, huge trees down, not alot of clean riding

horses tend to destroy some of the trails to the northwest side of eagle mere, lots of mud bogs 20 ft wide

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey with all these navigational tools flying around I hope to see a trail report so I can add to my adventures next time out! EC next time you plan on hitting the Brew works let me know I can always be talked into an ESB or IPA! Is/was EWR a frame maker in town?

·
Registered
47 Posts
7 Streams---yes yes yes, that was one of the good trails there. I remember that. I also remember some fire roads/dirt roads, if I recall, we took a nice long climb after completing 7 Streams, it was a dirt road. We also rode from across the street from the beach in Eagles Mere. And also the Loyalsock. My memory is getting jarred.

There was also a rocky section with a cliff to the side right across the street from a scenic overlook that overlooked the loyalsock, it was off the loyalsock trail. It is located on the map above where it says "worlds end state park" from that parking lot, cross the road and hit that trail. If I recall the 7 streams was on the eastern side of the map.

And you have the same feelings as me, sweet trails, only wish they were ridden more.

Mark

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
BBW? I sure will contact you!

mbike said:
Hey with all these navigational tools flying around I hope to see a trail report so I can add to my adventures next time out! EC next time you plan on hitting the Brew works let me know I can always be talked into an ESB or IPA! Is/was EWR a frame maker in town?
My brother-in-law grew up in Beth'lem. So, I get up there now and again. Musicfest in August...right?

EWR was in town...a long time ago. Went under in '97. GREAT east coast specific heritage...legendary rep...still a "cult" following for their frames...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.