Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no particular place in mind at the moment but are there good places to ride during the winter months (nov/dec/jan) or does it become more of a skiing resort?

thanks for your help

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
plork123 said:
no particular place in mind at the moment but are there good places to ride during the winter months (nov/dec/jan) or does it become more of a skiing resort?

thanks for your help
Of Course. We ride year round here in Southern Utah(St. George). Average temps are in the 50's during the winter months.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that

Trails like Bearclaw Poppy, City Creek - Rusty Cliffs, Gooseberry Mesa, Guacamole Trail, these are all ridable during november, december time? it won't be snowy? Sorry for my weather ignorance, trying to find weather info for this time of year for places to ride is quite difficult

we're plaaning a long trip and would like to get as much riding in as we possibly can

·
Registered
71 Posts
Snow? What's that?

Generally there isn't any snow down here in the winter. And usually anything that falls in the morning is gone by the afternoon, especially down in the lower elevations (Bearclaw Poppy, Church Rocks, Prospector, JEM, etc.).

Notice the qualifiers of "generally" and "usually." We had one weekend this last winter where we had snow two days in a row, and Zion itself got over a foot. It was all gone a couple of days later. So if you time your trip just wrong, you can hit snow.

"Generally," though, there is always something rideable in and around St. George.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Summit said:
Why you would come to UT in the winter and ride instead of ski 3 feet of blower pow is beyond me...

we are planning on skiing, but not until january

we're doing a 3 mth tour, nov, dec riding, arizona, utah (possibly nevada, bootleg canyon), then in jan. to colorado, vail for some skiing

having not been to arizona, utah, nevada before we're trying to figure out the places to go so we can plan the driving, hence i am asking the question where to ride during nov and dec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Riding in Winter

There are a ton a trails to ride in the winter in Utah. Moab and St. George are both great places to go but I would rather go to St. George myself.

Bootleg Canyon in Nevada is a great ride. Have fun with that. Phoenix is also a great place to ride if you get tired of Sedona. I ride down in Vegas and Phoenix with a group of guys I work with during the winter months.

Have fun. Skiing is overrated but a lot of fun. :cool:

·
Takin'er easy
184 Posts
Unless you have other reasons to be in Colorado, don't bother going just to ski. The skiing is nothing compared to Utah. If you like the gigantic resort thing over the actual quality of skiing, then go for vail. Otherwise, Alta and Snowbird is the best skiing you'll find in North America, and maybe even the world.

If you do decide to hit Vail, stop by Fruita, Colorado on the way to ride you bike. Stop by Over the Edge Cycles, and they'll tell you where to ride. It doesn't suck.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies.

any locals willing to show an english couple the best bike routes (single track and downhilling) when we're in these areas?

i'll post on some regional forums a couple of weeks before we arrive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have biked/camped down near St. George one weekend before Christmas. It even got to 62 in the day. Coming from up in Logan, wearing shorts and shorts sleeves outside in December was quite a novelty to say the least!

Why you would come to UT in the winter and ride instead of ski 3 feet of blower pow is beyond me...
Also, not everyone knows how to ski. I lived in Utah for 7 years and didn't learn to ski until 2 seasons ago. Money was our main reason for not starting earlier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts