Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to retire from the military and we plan to settle in the Stevens Point or Wausau area. How is the riding? We are moving from Northern Italy. We ride both XC and All Mountain type trails here. I don't expect much tech type stuff there. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
There are trails in the area, but nothing to get excited about. There is some great riding further north, as well as around the Madison area. To be fair, I haven't ridden much around the Wausau area, so maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wausau has great trails. They have done a fantastic job at Nine Mile Rec area. Great mix of technical and flowy trails. There is also a new system in the area that I have never ridden, that is more geared towards downhill/enduro riding. But for XC Nine Mile Rec Area is great!

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wausau has great trails. They have done a fantastic job at Nine Mile Rec area. Great mix of technical and flowy trails. There is also a new system in the area that I have never ridden, that is more geared towards downhill/enduro riding. But for XC Nine Mile Rec Area is great!
Where is the new system? Also in Wausau?

·
Pizzaiolo Americano
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
You sound like a wisconite!! Welcome!! I am 2 hours west of Wausau near Eau Claire. I have ridden 9 mile in Wausau, which is pretty nice. That area has a few other trail systems nearby. If you want some rugged old school hand built shred, go to The Underdown near Gleason. There is lots of variety in the state, but nothing mountain-like. I don't think Levis Mound would be too far of a drive from Stevens Point either. It is in Neilsville WI. If you ever shoot over towards me in Eau Claire, I would recommend Lowes Creek for well maintained trails, Northwest Park for some tech, or Hickory Ridge for less traffic on very nice trails as well. Cheers!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is Standing Rocks which is a 10-12 mile loop which is close to Stevens Point. I've wanted to check out Jack Lake which I believe is just north of Wausau. Hartman Creek is easy flowing, Nine Mile has a variety and some rocky technical stuff. Underdown, as mentioned, is often overlooked. There's likely more, but that's a solid area of the state to have multiple options within an hour! If you want to race, try the WORS series or WEMS series.

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
lots of options

Wausau has lots of options.

in Wausau
Nine Mile is XC.
Sylvan Hill is machine built flow ranging from Green to black diamond jumps.
Ringle is new, and is up and running. A previous response described as X-enduro.

near Wausau (and hour or less).
Underdown
Jack Lake
Nicolet Roche
Perhaps the RASTA trails in Rhinelander.

Trails that'll be easy to drive to but I don't know the distance.
levis trow
win man
Raven
Camba trails.

·
mtbr rememberer
108 Posts
levis trow
Camba trails.
I'm not 100% sure of driving times, but I think you could hit the CAMBA system in 2-3 hours, Levi's in about 1 hour from Wasau. In that ballpark.

Levi's was an IMBA Epic ride, Rock Lake trail in the CAMBA system is this year, fwiw. The criteria for that designation are:

"Demanding, mostly singletrack trail experience in a natural setting
Denotes a true backcountry riding experience in remote settings
One that is technically and physically challenging
More than 80 percent singletrack
At least 20 miles in length"​

There are plenty of other places around, of various levels. Eau Claire has a pretty fun system at Lowes Creek Park, worth a day trip. But Rock Lake and Levi's are the two that come to mind as places that will keep advanced riders smiling.

I lived in I've ridden all over the midwest and the western USA. Other than the verticals coming in 100-200' sections (if you are lucky) instead of 1000-2000'+ sections, plenty of fun to be had in WI.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
There are trails in the area, but nothing to get excited about. There is some great riding further north, as well as around the Madison area. To be fair, I haven't ridden much around the Wausau area, so maybe things have changed.
That's not a fair reply and I suggest you visit the area. The Wausau CWOCC and little farther north RASTA posses have done and continue to do great work. The LAMBO bike possee is on it too. They've kept up old school trails and are growing Zipline. Washburn Lake needs to be in the list of great rides.

Nothing against Standing Rocks, but closer to Wausau or north would interest me more unless there is a job or career reason for Stevens Point.

We have a cabin 40 minutes north of Wausau and I admit that more and more I'm happy to be there vs travel to more crowded areas. It's great when you don't want to ride or when single track is wet because of the lakes, rivers and winter options. Wausau has eating, drinking, shopping and grocery options that are good for the area. Add Granite Peak (always Rib Mtn for us old farts) having high speed lift coverage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.