Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im not in CO. But I used to live in the COS area. And thinking about moving back.

How is riding in the snow. I see people doing it here on the forum. But is it hard to find the trail? What about tires? Are your running super wide tires with low PSI?

Is riding in the snow just as fun as not?

Is it better to have a hardtail? or does the FS help at all in the snow? what about icy spots (are they on the trails, or just roads)? studded tires?

I guess I'm coming from phoenix where we ride year round. Except in the summer we have to ride a 4am to beat the heat, even then its 95°. Back when I lived in COS, i only rode my bike to school, and was a teenager

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I don't live in Colorado but a good deal farther north where riding in the snow is a fact of my life... lots of folks park it for the winter but I find winter riding to be just about as enjoyable albeit more challenging.

I have quite a few bikes but the two that see the most winter duty are my rigid Kuwahara SS running 1.75 tires with a studded front and a 38:18 gearing for the commute and a Trek HT SS running some aggressive 1.95 Maxxis tires and a 32:18 for riding singletrack and to handle days when there is more snow and slush than there is ice.

My third winter bike is also my summer commuter and rain bike... it's a 3 speed rigid hybrid running on some 1.75 tires (no studs) that gets taken out when the roads are dry and clear or when things get really warm and wet.

I figure that the hybrid will be my ride for tomorrow's commute since the route to work is really clear and dry and I can make excellent time on a bike that has a higher cruising speed than either of my SS bikes.

We hit the singletrack yesterday and I rode the HT SS... the trails were all hard packed and I didn't find that I had any traction issues.

My bike is in the foreground and my Powerade had turned into a slushie cause it was pretty cold ..

My other winter bike...

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
P.S.

Running fenders to keep the sludge off and having good lighting is also essential.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personnaly, I just ride the tires I have. Mostly that is because I can't afford to buy several pairs. I usually don't have a problem with traction unless it is really icy. If its just crusty snow they work great.

As far as following the trail, I ride trails I'm familiar with so it isn't a big deal. I've ridden them enough when they are dry so that I know where I'm supposed to go and what obstacles should be in the way.

HT for FS, I have no clue I ride a hard tail and don't have to many problems.

Cameron

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. thanks guys.

So do you guys have winter bikes and summer bikes? or the same for both? I ride an 06 Epic Marathon, and wouldnt want its bearings & such full of ice salt & sand.

I'd probably debate building up a POS hardtail, maybe a SS. I just wouldnt want to gunk up my epic.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Is this Matt that used to ride with us at Palmer a few years back? Thought his handle was the same as yours.

I haven't had any maintenance issues with my bikes from riding in the snow, the bike stays pretty clean unless it's slushy snow and then the drivetrain gets mucky, your Specy would work fine. I run standard tires too but this past week with the meltage and then cold temps a good set of studded tires would of been very helpful, one of the guys on Sat's ride had studs and he definitely had an advantage in sections. I usually ride my XC bike and run fat tubeless tires on it with low psi and they hookup pretty nice, there's gonna be some hikeabike especially in the canyon with the climbing but in general if the snow is packed the trail is ridable, we just ride the trails that get the most foot traffic so it's packed down as much as poss.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
probably not. I used to live up in WP in high school. I used to ride to school, work & for fun out to manitou lake, but the trail was always wide and clear. I want too into biking then.

I moved to AZ in 2000, and have been riding about 4 days a week since. Thats my worry about COS and snow. I worry i'll not be able to ride as much.

Im sure the epic would do well, since its almost a hardtail anyway. Thats why I love it.

I have a nice HID light I use for 24 hr races, im sure it will be fine in the snow. I was thinking about a SS 29er anyway, this may be my excuse to my wife. Nothing fancy, just a monocog or haro mary SS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I made the move from AZ last year and had the same concern about not being able to ride as much. I'd say that last year I logged just as many miles as I had in AZ - this year is a different story. Everyone says this year's snow is outside the norm (I hope they're right).

I picked up a cyclocross bike and have been out on it quite a bit in the snow. You can log miles getting to the trails, and if the snow is packed down it handles ok on some of the mild single track. I'm still jonesing to ride South Mountain, Hawes, Usery, etc in AZ, but overall I'd say the riding in CO rocks.

·
more beers, lees gears.
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice.

So Dirt-Rode, you are familiar with the awesome SoMo, Hawes, T100 & Usery. anything comparable on the front range? I Ride one of those areas almost every weekend, and Desert Classic a few times a week.

·
Registered
482 Posts
With the snow and ice, I've had to abandon my SS commuter for a time. Until this weather clears up, I'm on my Yeti hard tail. I think it has 2.1 rear and 2.3 front, which seems to work fine for me.

I'm definitely not as dedicated as some of these guys, though. I haven't gotten a trail ride in since the snow first fell at christmas. Maybe I'll get a chance this month.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I have few bikes but in the winter I mostly ride my ss with studded tires. Speed is much slower in winter condition anyway so riding ss with lower (32T:18T or 20T) gear has served me well. HT or FS don't make a bit of difference in the winter.

I must say this winter has been very harsh and snowy. Until this year I had no need for studded tires and was able to ride all winter without. I bought some studded tires on sale at the beginning of winter and it was one of the smartest bike part purchases I made in a very long time. I bought Nokian Extreme 120 for front and Kenda Klondike 160 for rear. Both of them has studs only on the outside knobs and that's more that adequate for CO front range winter (packed snow, ice, & dry) condition IMO. If CO doesn’t get another harsh winter like this in the future, I doubt that I would run the studded tires all winter and save them for the iciest condition. Since middle part of the day is always warm and sunny, I avoid ride during that time unless entire day is below freezing temp. Having studded tires don't do you any good on slush & mucky condition. Ride early morning from 7am to 9am & 7pm to when ever and you can pretty much ride all winter.

·
Aphonopelma Coloradanum
202 Posts
Here is my commute/winter bike- it's a 1991 Rockhopper that I bought on Craigslist for $60. Most of the components were old Exage junk, but I had enough stuff laying around to build it up without spending much. The only new stuff I really needed was the rack and bag (makes the bike useful for commuting/errands), and the studded tires and fenders (fenders are the new pink).

I agree that studded tires this winter have come in really handy. They aren't cheap, but it is nice to ride the roads/bike paths in most any conditions. I don't miss the suspension at all, as it would be more stuff to maintain and most of the Front Range trails aren't ridable (there is a singletrack about three feet under my bike in that picture).

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.