Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Reminds me of a story my mother told me: She was getting a pair of hiking boots custom-made many years ago. Another customer in the shop asked the cobbler how long he could expect his boots to last. The old man answered, "If you never wear them they'll last forever."

You bought the bike to ride didn't you? Yeah, rain and mud are harder on the bike and cleaning after the ride is a pain. But if you're intching for a ride, who cares? I'd be more worried about damaging the trail than your bike.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
bingo

great avatar BTW . LOL.

Some of us live in a (temperate) rain forest. We ride year round in rain, sleet, and through lots of wet. Keep things lubed and clean, no worries.

Jim

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
tlg said:
Yes. Ride at your own risk.
Sure. Be sure to wash off mud immediately after to avoid the drying mud from wicking oil and grease out of every seal. And re lube your chain as soon as it dries.

I wear similar layers as I do for colder dry rides with a regular windbreaker for maximum venting. I boil up too much in waterproof and gortex (major sweat is like rain, gortex traps it inside and then it doesn't breath at all). But everyone is different. Keep your feet warm. I got neoprene over-shoe booties from Performance for rain and cold rides. Before the booties I used to wrap plastic baggies over my riding shoes.

- ray

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
brschmid said:
does anyone ride in the rain? it is rainy here for the next few days, and i want to ride, is it really bad on components
I don't usually start a ride in the rain ;)

Ya mud and sand is "bad" for your bike, but mine gets muddy all the time and i don't really care. Just clean it well and often. I would rather replace stuff a tad sooner than not ride. It is a "mountain" bike not a road bike. Don't be affraid to get it dirty.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
derby said:
Keep your feet warm. I got neoprene over-shoe booties from Performance for rain and cold rides. Before the booties I used to wrap plastic baggies over my riding shoes.

- ray
Good call on the booties. I finally bought some a couple months ago and they make a huge difference. My trunk and legs get plenty warm no matter how wet I get, but my tootsies really like being dry.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xl_cheese said:
Riding in the mud is not good for the trails. Don't be selfish.

Do a road ride. I've done many long road rides in the rain and it's not bad. Except for having to worry more about the cars...
usually all i ride is on the roads here, we have one trail 20 minutes away from where i live, but it is still a little too damp to head out there :(

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
xl_cheese said:
Riding in the mud is not good for the trails. Don't be selfish.

Do a road ride. I've done many long road rides in the rain and it's not bad. Except for having to worry more about the cars...
it depends where you ride. my usual trails are basically the city dump. it's a mess of broken glass and crap everywhere. The trails are hard clay. Riding in the rain doesn't seem to really do anything to it.

that said, there are many nice, well maintained trails that I would not ride when muddy. Use common sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
not so much the rain but the grit and mud is what's hard on the bits.
Transmission components, brake pads, tyres, are all disposable commodities. If you're meticulous in cleaning the bike afterward you should notice little difference in wear rate.

(except for the rear brake pads, which may disappear rather quickly!) :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes, but seriously, there is a rather large group of riders who go out there, and the trail is at a state park, they aren't letting people ride yet as the river that runs along the trail floods, hence too damp ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.