Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· a dad
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody out riding in the heat?? i can't seem to get a ride in lately, my free time is like 12-3 and its just too hot, gonna go thursday morning, but probably have to be up at 5. what are all you others doing??

· contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Still riding. I head uphill for a little relief, try to ride near streams, stay away from town, and generally, take it easy when it's super hot. Your time frame is certainly tough, in the heat of the day.

Since today isn't as hot feeling as predicted, I'll head up the Boulder Creek Path and head for Betasso once I'm off work. It sorta fits my criteria above...

· Not just famous; infamous
1,067 Posts
Been riding Tues & Thurs about 5pm on the south end of Denver. Rode Deer Creek Canyon with some friends on Sunday morning, about 8:30. Still damn hot even before 9am. Hot enough that I get that wonderful nauseous feeling while climbing. I'm still riding though.

I'm heading to Lair O The Bear for some shade this afternoon. It'll be nice to jump in that stream after the ride :D Still, it's gonna be hot....

billybobzia said:
anybody out riding in the heat?? i can't seem to get a ride in lately, my free time is like 12-3 and its just too hot, gonna go thursday morning, but probably have to be up at 5. what are all you others doing??

· Card Carrying Member
2,033 Posts
I'm riding the couch watching the 'Tour with the AC blowing in my face. I plan on getting out for some urban or DJ this evening, but no trail riding until it cools off. I can't imagine what it would be like on a lower FR trail in the 12-3 zone. whew!

· Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
One thing that helps me out is icing the camelback. Fill it 1/3 the way full with water, fill with air (to clear tube of water), place flat in freezer the day before tube side up. Make sure no water is near either entry way. Come morn, Viola, one big ice cube, fill with water and ride. Makes the hot rides so much more bearable for me...And of course find the highest elevation ride possible.

Least we're aren't in Tucson or PHX! Poor bastards....

· contains quinine
4,619 Posts
lucky bastard!

kitchenware said:
I'm riding the couch watching the 'Tour with the AC blowing in my face. I plan on getting out for some urban or DJ this evening, but no trail riding until it cools off. I can't imagine what it would be like on a lower FR trail in the 12-3 zone. whew!
You're living the high life with your cable tv and air conditioning... I've got to survive with lowly web updates and iced beverages.

· Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Couple other tidbits I thought of during my hot ride today. You can lose a lot of heat through your head during the winter...same is true during the summer. Helmet manufacters would disapprove, but put a water soaked bandana on your head, and resoak as needed....other thing is, the more you ride in it, the more your body adjusts to the heat.

Oh yeah and ride faster. Make your own wind! :D

· addict
158 Posts
rode chimny gulch tues. at 2:00. couldn't have been more than a hundred! had the trail to myself!!! felt like the first day of summer riding in texas. i lived in dallas for 8 years, if you are gonna ride there, your gonna ride in some crazy f-ing heat.
just drink lots of water, before, during, and after.

later, j

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.