Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
YaMon said:
Anyone know if there is any riding going on here?? It looks like I may be shine that ....get a snokel and do some reef exploring.....I know I would be on the beach having a couple of cocktails with little umbrellas in them.....just relax

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Possibly. You can always stick a wind trainer in the sand...

Yamon, if you bring a bike to St.Thomas, then you will know, to the very depths of your soul, that you have an affliction for which there is no cure.

St Thomas was made by the Gods or Allah or Jesus's daddy or Odin or Zeus and Poseidon, or quite possibly the tides, specifically for the purpose of removing overworked peoples consciousnesseses from the shackles of earthly, physical entombment. Go to St Thomas. Let your body go. Think about cycling when you come back.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny enough.....

I was born in Jamaica and go back often for business purposes. I am not a beach person, I also know myself very well and if I don't find an outlet while I am there.....I would not be surprised if I plant myself in front of the bar and sit there drinking for hours...........

Riding is my cure.

I remember years ago when I was not riding, I went by one of the swanky all inclusive resorts to pick up something from a contractor friend that was working at the hotel. This was at about 10:00 AM in the morning, he said "let's stop by the bar and have a drink before you leave". We sat at the bar and I did not leave till about 2:00AM the following morning. There was never a moment we did not have a drink in our hands.

Glad those days are gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I worked in St. Thomas for a little over a year. There aren't many trails on St. Thomas, but St. John isn't too bad. It's a quick and cheap ferry ride over. The trails I rode were mainly hiking trails that were officially off limits to bikes, but I never had problems.

If you get some slicks, there are lots of fun paved and dirt roads on St. Thomas to ride. I did a lot of exploring while I was there. I was in Lurkenlund (north side above Magen's Bay), so I rode mostly on the north and west sides of the island, but I think there are dirt roads on the east side too.

Have fun.

·
Something goes here...
2,091 Posts
My wife and I were married on the beach in St. Thomas and then took an 8 day personal cruise around the British VI. Unbelievably gorgeous. We're planning on buying a small place on one of the BVI's to spend half the year at when we retire. I'm not a beach guy but man o man is the slow life style fantastic. I have nothing to add to the bike question except that I would not roadie there for any price. I saw some crazy arse driving around the island which scared the B'Jesus out me.

As Shiver said, have a cocktail and chill on the beach. Go for a run if you need the exercise. That's what I did.

·
92 Posts
I 2nd the St. John option. 3/4 of the island is a state park w/ trails running everywhere...that you are not supposed to ride on but hey. I also agree that riding on the road would be pure insanity!!!

There are always water bikes :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny how the grass on the other side is greener.....

I used to wake up to the sound of the ocean and would still hardly go swimming at the beach. The worst thing about moving from the Island was losing my great friends......

My idea of paradise has always been moving to the mountains like in Colorado, Whistler, etc....

I cannot begin to tell you the countless hours spent sitting in a bar on the beach....:thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up, I was actually considering bringing my singlespeed and putting road tires on it. If it is anything like Jamaica, I would stay off the road too. Antigua wasn't too bad to go riding, very dry island though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
YaMon - I hear ya. I moved to Colorado from a college party town because I felt I was spending too much time in smoke-filled bars and neon lights. When I could go out on any given night of the week, to nearly any bar and run into people I knew, it was obvious I had taken things too far. I moved to the Western Slope of Colorado about 3 years ago and have loved it better than anywhere else I've been. I'd rather be getting lost in the high desert than sitting at any bar, anywhere, with a drink in my hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.