Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossposted in the Passion forum. Thought I might post it here as well.

Finally, after a dismal spring and a couple of solid weeks of fog, the sun showed its face in St. John's, Newfoundland. We decided to take advantage of the weather to ride some sweet cliff-top singletrack north of the city, along the coast of the Avalon Peninsula.

Start of the singletrack overlooking Torbay. That's a vertical 400+ foot drop into the North Atlantic just beyond my bike.

Lightly traveled singletrack. The cliff's edge is about 15 feet to the left

Looking back to the trailhead from just below where the last pic was taken.

Vertigo, anyone?

Steve riding a tech section

Me riding the same section, with my "game face" on. :D

Cleaning that section. The trail follows the edge of the cliff off in the distance

Few pics of the trail

Another cliff-edge shot.

Steve making it look easy.

End of the line. Literally. Next land is Ireland.

Unfortunately, this is where my camera's battery died, so I can't show you all the lovely grippy weathered granite around here. Lots of steep rolls and climbs. Hours of amusement....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ahhh.. that takes me back! I'm actually going to be back for a visit in a few weeks and I'm bringing a bike if the forecast looks decent. I'll likely be bringing my 'cross bike though as I'd like to get some road+gravel miles in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
somnambulant said:
Ahhh.. that takes me back! I'm actually going to be back for a visit in a few weeks and I'm bringing a bike if the forecast looks decent. I'll likely be bringing my 'cross bike though as I'd like to get some road+gravel miles in.
Mid-july should be pretty good, but the weather's pretty unpredictable as I'm sure you know.
I don't know about the 'cross bike, at this point the roads might be as technical as the trails are... :D We had a seriously bad winter with a lot of freeze-thaw action. It really mangled the roads, even worse than usual.

If you're around and you want to go for an MTB ride, shoot me a PM.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Funny, this exact topic came up at work yesterday with a co-worker. He is visting next week and told me about the riding in Newfoundland(he goes for 4 weeks every year).

I wouldnt want to make a "left" from the end of the trail, in the second photo. There would be no night riding for me.

Great pics. Keep 'em comin'. Its always nice to see other areas of Canada.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
We were there for 3 wks in 2002 to visit our son when he was living in St John's. Loved your province (Gros Morne, wow!) and hope to get back someday. Never had much luck finding good riding, but now I know where to look if I ever get back there. Hiking was fabulous though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Awesome pictures! It's been quite a while since I\ve ridden back home..
Speaking of which, are any of the shops downtown renting bikes? I'm going back mid July and would love to do some riding, but don't have the space to bring the rig. Last I heard Canary only had "rec" bikes for rent, does anyone else offer proper XC rigs for rental?

Thanks!
-n

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
InVeloVeritas said:
Awesome pictures! It's been quite a while since I\ve ridden back home..
Speaking of which, are any of the shops downtown renting bikes? I'm going back mid July and would love to do some riding, but don't have the space to bring the rig. Last I heard Canary only had "rec" bikes for rent, does anyone else offer proper XC rigs for rental?

Thanks!
-n
As far as I know, there's no-one renting any kind of decent MTB in St. John's. I've actually thought about starting a small rental fleet because this question comes up fairly often, though it probably wouldn't be profitable.... You might check Canary or Freeride to see if they have a demo bike that you could take out. If you're coming to town and want to ride, drop me a PM and I might be able to sort something out for you. This goes for anyone heading down here.

We're having what appears to be a small hurricane here today, so no riding for me.... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.