Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been lurking around here for sometime, posted once or twice. I figured i would try and snap some pics of what the riding is like here on this beautiful island. For those of you that dont know Okinawa is a small island (66 miles long by 20 miles wide) off the southern end of Japan. After taking the pics i realized i really didnt get any trail pics, only scenery. We ride pretty much every weekend, so i will try to get some actual trail pics this weekend. The first pic is a portion of the trail where we have to walk up 214 stairs, but the gnarly downhill that follows is soooooo worth it!! I know these pics dont show much, but like i said, i will get actual trail pics this weekend.
i am the guy in the Fox jersey. Enjoy!

·
Registered
489 Posts
These are not photos of RIDING in Okinawa.

i see a portage... what may or may not be a hotel balcony... coastline... earth cancer/golf course... and trailside H0M0-erogenous surprise. (H0m0 is censored????? WOW.)

:p
;)

lets see some action!!!

seriously though... nice pics... wish i could afford to travel like that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sweet. I spent some time on that Island last year. You need to try and get to the mainland for some great riding. I spent several months up in Iwakuni and there some great mtb adventures up there.

I'm in Eastern NC now, so a bit different than Oki.

·
Registered
246 Posts
FastZR1 said:
Sweet. I spent some time on that Island last year. You need to try and get to the mainland for some great riding. I spent several months up in Iwakuni and there some great mtb adventures up there.

I'm in Eastern NC now, so a bit different than Oki.
Havelock?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mfisher1971 said:
These are not photos of RIDING in Okinawa.

i see a portage... what may or may not be a hotel balcony... coastline... earth cancer/golf course... and trailside H0M0-erogenous surprise. (H0m0 is censored????? WOW.)

:p
;)

lets see some action!!!

seriously though... nice pics... wish i could afford to travel like that.
LOL, correct on the Hotel, coast, golf course. As far as the h0m0 part, i cant bring myself to tell him that his outfit is kinda ghey, he likes to wear his road riding gear, and i have only know him 2 months or so. besides, he's a Marine, he would probaby kick my ass! My wife asked me why he wears that stuff as well. He's cool though, so no harm. As far as being able to afford to travel....I have the Air Force to thank for that.

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
Good Times

If you're in the Air Force, you must be stationed at Kadena? Head over to Goya and hit up a place called Popeye's for the best tonkatsu on the planet.

Those pics make it look like maybe you're up farther north, maybe Itoman or even Kin? (I'm not a golfer, I'd have no idea where the golf course is, but I'm gonna guess on base somewhere).

We used to find some good riding up around the Shuri- Oroku area, BITD.

How's the heat? :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blurredboy said:
If you're in the Air Force, you must be stationed at Kadena? Head over to Goya and hit up a place called Popeye's for the best tonkatsu on the planet.

Those pics make it look like maybe you're up farther north, maybe Itoman or even Kin? (I'm not a golfer, I'd have no idea where the golf course is, but I'm gonna guess on base somewhere).

We used to find some good riding up around the Shuri- Oroku area, BITD.

How's the heat? :D
I am stationed at Kadena. As far as the location in the picture it is about 8Km north of the base. I know it as Spider Valley, but i am sure there is probably another name for it as well. If you happen to know where the Hawk missile site is, then that is the same area.

The heat.......well.......it's not bad right now, but give it a few months and it will be unbearable again.:D

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Daddy_ja said:
Hey all,

Been lurking around here for sometime, posted once or twice. I figured i would try and snap some pics of what the riding is like here on this beautiful island. For those of you that dont know Okinawa is a small island (66 miles long by 20 miles wide) off the southern end of Japan. After taking the pics i realized i really didnt get any trail pics, only scenery. We ride pretty much every weekend, so i will try to get some actual trail pics this weekend. The first pic is a portion of the trail where we have to walk up 214 stairs, but the gnarly downhill that follows is soooooo worth it!! I know these pics dont show much, but like i said, i will get actual trail pics this weekend.
i am the guy in the Fox jersey. Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing! I was actually born there and have never even seen pictures. Thanks again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we went out again this morning. I get so into the riding that i forget about taking pics. I did manage to get a few though. I need to get a Gopro camera or something, that way i dont have to worry about it. Anyway, here are the pics i did get, including one of the hooptie i currently ride. I should be done building up my other bike by next weekend. Woo Hooo!!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Looks like an interesting place...

Thx for posting some pics...great to see other areas around the world...so a couple of questions...

Are there any Japanese riders active in the area you are riding?

What is the heat like there?

How about snakes? My guess there has to be some there.

Ride On!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!!! They brought back a lot of great memories for me.

I was stationed at Yokosuka Japan for a few years MANY YEARS AGO......

The riding was great. Like you, we had some steps we had to climb to get to our favorit trails...just a little over a thousand steps...:cryin: And let me tell you after a summer of that I was in the best shape of my life.

We use to ride our bikes everywhere in those days. We would even take our broken down van and drive up to the south side of Mt. Fuji to ride around Lake Hakone. The riding was awesome and we sure got some funny looks from the locals...and not due to our clothes either. No tight crap back in those days, didn't know riding shorts were even made at the time. Hell we were lucky to have a shock on the front, or in our case more like a pogo stick in those days.

Anyways, thanks again for the post. Keep the pictures coming, they give some of us a trip down memory lane.

And thanks for serving, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JeffSkisMontana said:
Thx for posting some pics...great to see other areas around the world...so a couple of questions...

Are there any Japanese riders active in the area you are riding?

What is the heat like there?

How about snakes? My guess there has to be some there.

Ride On!
Most of the Okinawan's are road riders and they get into it big time. There are some that ride MB, but i haven't run across any on the trails yet. The heat is great right now, but in the summer months it is absolutely miserable!!! The humidity is 100% most of the time, so it is very sticky! There are some VERY deadly snakes around here, but i have not ran into any on the trails yet, thank goodness! If you get bit by a Habu and survive, you have to leave the island because the anti venom only works once.

Jason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.