Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks. i am deploying again to iraq and desperately want to ride while i am there. i know there's a group of people on camp victory that ride regularly. can anyone point me in the direction of the VBC cycling club? anyone have suggestions on how to get bike shipped and or any riding resources on camp victory? thanks in advance.

·
Just keep trying!!!!!!
107 Posts
scoutcat said:
hi folks. i am deploying again to iraq and desperately want to ride while i am there. i know there's a group of people on camp victory that ride regularly. can anyone point me in the direction of the VBC cycling club? anyone have suggestions on how to get bike shipped and or any riding resources on camp victory? thanks in advance.
God Bless you warrior:thumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
You may need to smuggle one in like Radar on M*A*S*H smuggled out a Jeep, have your bike mailed to you piece by piece, I think if you were able to get the frame the rest would be all "downhill"! Good luck to you and thanks for your service, send some pics or video tearing up some Middle East dirt, and stay safe. Now where did I put the handle bar attachment for the grenade launcher?:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to pay for it, there is no reason why you cant ship your bike to your deployed location. It is legal and can be shipped, do it! People ship guitars and other random stuff all the time. I tossed a good amount of mail when I was deployed and saw all kinds of stuff. Just make sure you have a place to keep it when not riding and no hajji steals it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i will likely have something shipped and my bike shop will do it. i know theres a group of people riding regularly there and i'd like to see if theres someone rotating home that might be willing to sell me a bike. its a long shot but would also save a lot of hassle.

·
530 Posts
You might try contacting The Defense Video and Imaging Distribution System at

http://www.dvidshub.net/about/contactus

They have published a couple of pieces on VBC bicycling events and should be able to give you a contact. Through them you may find a bike already in country that you can buy off someone who is returning stateside or they may know of organizations that can help you get your bike overseas below commercial rates.

Whatever you find out, please keep us posted so future servicemembers can reference your thread. Thanks so much for all you do. Be safe.

tg (Army vet, former NCOIC Medevac team Hamilton AFB)

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/35562/...t-morale-rung-you-brung-bike-club-stuck-motto

·
Trail Ninja
6,306 Posts
I was at Camp Andy 8 years ago. It was still a tent city then. I was part of a group that was flown over to Baghdad to recover a jet that made an emergency landing there and didn't see where people slept, but know there were tents there too. I see conditions have improved quite a bit since then.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not at VBC

But I'm in the IZ, had no problem shipping mine over, 1 box had everything in it includding helmet, shoes and tools, cost about 75 bucks. No good riding in the IZ but I'm planning on taking a couple of day "vacation" to VBC to ride, probably some time in march, would be great to do a MTBR "gathering" in Iraq.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
screamingbunny said:
But I'm in the IZ, had no problem shipping mine over, 1 box had everything in it includding helmet, shoes and tools, cost about 75 bucks. No good riding in the IZ but I'm planning on taking a couple of day "vacation" to VBC to ride, probably some time in march, would be great to do a MTBR "gathering" in Iraq.
i'll be on vbc from end of march to july - shoot me a pm if you get out there to ride. i worry that if i ship using apo address that it will take forever... who did you use for shipping?

regarding an earlier post, i'm being deployed without my unit so i dont have the luxury of putting a bike in a conex.

·
Registered
5 Posts
VBC cycling club is a very famous club but in order to get there you need to get registered in that club an become a member and then i think you can go for everyday cycling in Iraq,i think you need to visit the club first and find out about the formalities and then it would be easy for you to proceed.

·
Shoobie
9 Posts
When I get deployed I am deff bringing my bike. kudo's to you. talk with your Air Tran's people about getting your bike on one of the plane's flying you over. there is almost always room on a pallet for extra stuff like that. If you have any questions contact the Pax term you will be flying out of and usually a guy can hook you up. (thats what I do in CT ANG)

-B

·
addicted
132 Posts
I had a bike shipped from the lbs to apo at VBC it cost like $45 for shipping. It was a brand new cannondale F4 which I sold when it was time to go home. Check out libertyswap for deals on things people are leaving behind. Oh and and make sure you have plenty of water and sunscreen if you try to loop the whole wire, past the iraqi forces compound the water drops get kind of sparse.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am deployed now (Going home in a couple weeks!) unfortunately to a place (Not a bad or overly hostile place, just a dumb place...) with no opportunity for pedaling outside of teh fitness center stationary bikes. Stationairy bikes are the mtb's nerdy cousins...ughhh.

As grateful as I am for not being rocketed, mortared or sniped at, not to mention IEDs and VBIED threats, I would LOVE to have a bike to pedal about...good luck bruddah!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.