Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Absolutely! My camera is with the wife in Vancouver, so no pictures for tonight's first night ride of the year. If you see lights in Terwilliger Park tonight, with some judicious use of red lighting on both front and rear wheels - that's me! Super stocked to get out and ride in the dark!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Got out last night with another rider and rode around Terwilliger Park until 9:30pm. Park was dead, other than the few parked cars in the lot....

Saw one rider out with his dog and that was it. Temperature was perfect, clear night, and most of the trails are starting to open up as the summer eye-level weeds start to wilt and turn to silt. Trails are all fast and hard packed - minimal dust that I could see. Rollercoaster leading into the park from the west side is fast and dry, but laddled with quite a few significant scars from the rains earlier on this summer. You definately have to watch your lines.

Put on two cheap spoke red lights that I picked up from MEC. As per my riding partner, all he could think of was Tron when he looked at my bike. Once the wheels spin up, it's like the wheels come alive with this continuous ring of red light. Definate geek factor, but caused a few neck swivels.

New Magicshine batteries held up well (recall batch). Only ran two lights last night, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Need more. Will go back to dual bar and solo helmet light for all rides here on out.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got my new saddle on Friday and managed to get it mounted this weekend (too much on the Honey Do list to get it broken in :( ) so the DT is ready to hit the trails again. I just hope some of this nicer weather holds for a bit yet ;)

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the saddle got a 40+ km workout ride after work on Friday. Overall, not a bad ride...a little slower than I had hoped and I didn't do Roller Coaster and Victoria's Secret due to time and light constraints...but I did try lower Melton.

My initial impression is that lower Melton is a bit sketchy...at least compared to a lot of the other trails in town. I did a bit more hike-a-bike than I hoped, but part of it was the IMBA bike patroller in me not wanting to ride the wet stuff and my "look before you leap" preference slowing me up before stuff you'd need some momentum to roll well. With a little work, it could be a very nice trail.

I do wish I could have seen the trail to nowhere before it became the trail to nowhere...found the stairs, went up and had a look, but man, not much left.

Still, a good night on the bike ;)

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
My initial impression is that lower Melton is a bit sketchy...at least compared to a lot of the other trails in town.
There's definitely some unique geology or hydrology through there, because it never dries out. I've gone through in the winter a few times, and near the north end it's just an icesheet. I'm always surprised how much it gets used by trailrunners and dogwalkers, because it is pretty sketchy.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Oh, anyone have an opinion on some of the trail work that's been done in the last month or so?

I bumped into one guy who was complaining about how the holes in the CC course had been filled in below sask drive. I was thinking that might have been because the organizers were getting flack from the racers or maybe the city about how rough that section was?

There are also a fair number of roots that have been taken out - there was a little drop at the end of the CC section near the old QEII pool that's gone, the wallride on the Rollercoaster had one, and there was one on a sharp turn on Victoria Secret. There's probably more I'm forgetting or don't know about.

Someone's also carved some new stairs into the slope at the south end of 123st, so it's an easier climb down to Victoria Secret. Not sure if they'll last the winter, though.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's definitely some unique geology or hydrology through there, because it never dries out. I've gone through in the winter a few times, and near the north end it's just an icesheet. I'm always surprised how much it gets used by trailrunners and dogwalkers, because it is pretty sketchy.
I'll agree.... the water is likely from what's left of thalwegs or burried channels that drain into the river and it is on the outside bend of the river, so erosion is going to be an ongoing issue. Ewok has some of the same, though not as bad.

I suspect the stairs / trail to nowhere is due to a bigger slide....kinda like what happened in Ewok a couple years ago...just on a bigger scale so that the middle trail (top of the stairs) is simply gone.

Lot of similarities between Melton and Ewok....I'd venture to say that Melton is what Ewok will eventually turn into in the future as the river takes its toll.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Been out quite a few times so far this autumn including today and yesterday. IMO, this is the best time of the year to be riding. Not blistering hot, no weeds or leaves face wacking you, nice hard trails, leaf mulch and wide open trails. Once it hits 0 degrees, then I'll scale it back, but so long as it's above zero and no snow, I'm good to go for a ride.

Sights seen this autumn on the trail: dogs, porcupine (at night, scared the crap out of me), woodpeckers, drunks, dear, stoners, cats, rabbits, mice (night ride = lots of mice), other riders...but the one that takes the cake...Python!!!

Out of focus, unfortunately:

Better shot:

Just a "baby" according to its owner:

The money shot:

I think my spotting will stand as the freakiest wildlife encounter in the river valley for a very long time! :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Some great riding this past weekend, most of it in the dark. Friday night and Saturday early am for two "dark" rides. Slipped on a frosty root Saturday am and jammed my ring finger a bit.

Picked up my warranty replacement Bontrager rims. Three hours later due to Bontrager rims being super tight for beading a tire to the rim, two brand new tires later (new Specialized Captain vs old Maxxis Ignitors) and after dremelling my fork post mount and actual brake mount (center lock vs 6 bolt pattern), I know have a clean bike that needs to get out tonight. Wheelset is a bit lighter than my old setup as I sprung for an upgrade on the warranty replacement (have to love 5 year wheel warranties!).

I'd say at least 75% of the leaves are down in the river valley now. Great time to explore hidden paths that magcially appear when the foliage disappears.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I did my typical loop down to Goldbar yesterday, and on the way back I stopped to play around on the giant sandbar that's just east of downtown:

I really wasn't expecting to see that a pretty sizeable chunk of the river is already freezing over. It's a sheltered spot and it probably gets zero sun, but the temperature has barely been below freezing yet. Weird.

Other than that though, a nice time to ride.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Not enough pictures in this thread.

Went for a quick ride tonight to test my new rims and new Specialized Captain tires. New rims and tires are noticably lighter than the old set and the rear hub makes a nice buzzing noise too. Had some front tire wrinkles going on as I'm used to the higher volume Ignitors and tried to use the same pressure with the newer tires. 2.2 vs 2.0, overall impressions - Specialized by a mile. Grip is way, way better than the Ignitors. Dirt and leaves were being flicked everywhere!

Many pictures of my bike. If you don't like, too bad. Yes, my bike is very clean. I'm a bit OCD that way. :D All images are mid-Ewok and Mill Creek, and the last one in my backyard where the grass grows wild and the apples rot away.

Yard work or ride....

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.