Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am taking a trip to aspen this week and am wondering what the conditions are like. I know snowmass is not operating lifts so I assume DH is out of the question as I do not have a shuttle. Are there any type of freeride trails or just fun switchback single track to ride?

I will prolly rent a bike , I ride mainly freeride and DH so I dont wantto do a whole lot of climbing..

any recomendations

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
if you can get a ride up to snowmass you can do the government trail back down to aspen. Mostly downhill single track. Might still be under snow. not really freeride.

also mushroom rock in carbondale is good fun but you'll have to climb. It's sorta like moab up there, sorta. Roller coaster is a good section. again not really freerde but some drops and stuff.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
A buddy of mine just got back from a weekend in Aspen and reports that it's mostly snow free all the way up to 12000 ft.

_MK

·
Registered
473 Posts
Second Mushroom Rock in 'bonedale. Rode it Saturday. It's rowdy and technical, but not what I would call DH or freeridey. Hell, I rode it on a rigid SS and had a blast. Not to repeat above, but Government Trail (one of the better trails in Aspen) isn't what you would call a freeride trail, it's fun XC with a brutal climb to start out. Other stuff in the Roaring Fork -- Scout Trail, El Camino Run -- are snow free, but really XC oriented.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What are some slightly less technical trails in the area? My wife and I are heading to a wedding out there and after a recent crash, she isn't terribly stoked about technical stuff at the moment.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Wait, I thought Aspen reopened for skiing 'cause there was so much snow still around..?

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
mushroom rock area has all levels of trails. up on the mesa there are some good loops to choose from.

bike21 said:
What are some slightly less technical trails in the area? My wife and I are heading to a wedding out there and after a recent crash, she isn't terribly stoked about technical stuff at the moment.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guys and gals, I guess it is time for a Snowmass update. It has taken awhile to get a grip on the mtn since it is just drying out. I was up with patrol the other day and there have been ground avys and land slides in places. In fact, you can see a pretty crazy one just below the halfpipe.

So..here is where we are at. The lift will run this weekend, and the plan is to allow bikes. We are planning on making June 20th the first lift served biking day. Trails are getting pretty dry from the Burlingame chair down, but a ton of work is still needed. Should have some trails ready to go by the 20th.

Eureka bridges need some repair and we hope to have those dialed this week. MSC guys should be here next week getting the MX ready for the races. Connector, Villagebound, Starks, Rim (riding sweet!), (hopefully) Eureka, Powerline, Tom Blake all should be ready to go for the weekend. Everything is looking good with the exception of Govt Trail West and Cross Mtn.

Hells Kitchen...I was able to look up and down it....it will be pretty intense.

Now the sweet news you have all been waiting for.....For Blast and the G3 we WILL BE RUNNING THE 6-Pak (For racers only). The "Snowmass Express Pro-DH" will start at the top of the Knob and finish at the mall level (approx 2100 vert). Our goal is to make the entire middle 3rd of the course wooded (as this has been requested by many) We are still waiting on FS approval, but the proposed new section "Hells Kitchen Part Deux" will take riders over the new "skier bridge" and then enter the woods skiers' left of the terrain park. At the end of this section, we are adding a turney section in the aspens similar to the end of last years National DH course. The course will then connect with the original Hells Kitchen and continue to the Mall.

In addition to this coolness, we are adding a Free Saturday Concert on Aug 9th to coincide with the Snowmass G3. We have booked a great Cali band...the Dirty Heads. Check them out at www.myspace.com/dirtyheads and www.racemsc.com

Hope to see you here!

·
Registered
194 Posts
bike21 said:
You must come up to Snowmass and ride the Rim Trail. Perfect for all abilities. Does have a 700 vert ft opening climb that is mellow. Sweeet DH flowing single track from there. You can ride back up or take a free shuttle.

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nitro1 said:
Guys and gals, I guess it is time for a Snowmass update. It has taken awhile to get a grip on the mtn since it is just drying out. I was up with patrol the other day and there have been ground avys and land slides in places. In fact, you can see a pretty crazy one just below the halfpipe.

So..here is where we are at. The lift will run this weekend, and the plan is to allow bikes. We are planning on making June 20th the first lift served biking day. Trails are getting pretty dry from the Burlingame chair down, but a ton of work is still needed. Should have some trails ready to go by the 20th.

Eureka bridges need some repair and we hope to have those dialed this week. MSC guys should be here next week getting the MX ready for the races. Connector, Villagebound, Starks, Rim (riding sweet!), (hopefully) Eureka, Powerline, Tom Blake all should be ready to go for the weekend. Everything is looking good with the exception of Govt Trail West and Cross Mtn.

Hells Kitchen...I was able to look up and down it....it will be pretty intense.

Now the sweet news you have all been waiting for.....For Blast and the G3 we WILL BE RUNNING THE 6-Pak (For racers only). The "Snowmass Express Pro-DH" will start at the top of the Knob and finish at the mall level (approx 2100 vert). Our goal is to make the entire middle 3rd of the course wooded (as this has been requested by many) We are still waiting on FS approval, but the proposed new section "Hells Kitchen Part Deux" will take riders over the new "skier bridge" and then enter the woods skiers' left of the terrain park. At the end of this section, we are adding a turney section in the aspens similar to the end of last years National DH course. The course will then connect with the original Hells Kitchen and continue to the Mall.

In addition to this coolness, we are adding a Free Saturday Concert on Aug 9th to coincide with the Snowmass G3. We have booked a great Cali band...the Dirty Heads. Check them out at www.myspace.com/dirtyheads and www.racemsc.com

Hope to see you here!

Is this for real?? So does that mean i can plan on Friday the 20th riding snowmass? i was about to leave my bike at home?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just got off the radio with patrol. We are hoping to have a definite answer by later today. The plan is to allow bikes beginning on Friday, but stay tuned for a final answer. Patrol is fixing the Eureka bridges right now and cleaning up a few other trails. I would bring your bike....I think there is a very good chance you will have Dh'ing to do.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lifts in Snowmass will open Friday:

We will have Village Bound, Eureka, Luge, Burlingame, Scorch, Connector, Dirt Burner, Ditch and the lower dirt park open this weekend. The drop zone, upper 4x park will stay closed for the disc golf event. East and West Government and Cross Mountain will stay closed as well as Banzai Downhill due to snow and runoff. This will open as soon as possible.
Hope to see you on the trails this summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts