Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of riding opps in / around Kabul? Looks like I may be heading there for some work between now and May and would like to know if it's worth trying to pack the 29er up. I know, it's ALWAYS worth taking the bike, but you know what I mean!

I know we've got some folks in here from Europe, so please post any thoughts, ideas, forums with an English translator button, or whatever else you can come up with.

Thanks for the help!

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My point was that we've got folks on the board from all over and perhaps someone from Europe might have taken a trip or know someone who has.....they're a little bit closer to Asia than we are here in the States.

Quit giving me a hard time :skep: PFFT!

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
WTF Charles???

Afghanistan?!? Kabul?!?!? I'd be too worried about a KaBoom! I mean, really, unless you're in the middle of a road wouldn't you be worried about land mines? Haven't those people been at war more-or-less for the last 25 years? Then again, in the middle of the road I'd be worried, too. Just my opinion of the situation over there though, I'm sure your company can give you the best advise about security... Good Luck and get your ass back up to Pisgah soon and in one piece, OK?

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pisgahproductions said:
Afghanistan?!? Kabul?!?!? I'd be too worried about a KaBoom! I mean, really, unless you're in the middle of a road wouldn't you be worried about land mines? Haven't those people been at war more-or-less for the last 25 years? Then again, in the middle of the road I'd be worried, too. Just my opinion of the situation over there though, I'm sure your company can give you the best advise about security... Good Luck and get your ass back up to Pisgah soon and in one piece, OK?
E~
I can't wait to get back to Pisgah, been too long! i've actually not been on my bike since like Thanksgiving. I doubt I'll take the bike just because we'll be slammed with work I'm sure. I just figured I'd post to see if anyone had more insight on the area than CNN does. My company has folks over there right now and they say it's not really bad at all. Then again, they're not out riding a bike in the woods either! Oh, and since we're working with the Afghan army, I'm not TOO concerned about security -- I think I'll be well taken care of!

Sorry I might miss PMBAR, dude. See ya soon (hopefully....gulp!). :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I believe there are a few good trails in Afghanistan. But you need to practice bunnyhopping landmines, and perfect your shooting while riding skills.

·
Registered
479 Posts
k2biker said:
Oh, and since we're working with the Afghan army, I'm not TOO concerned about security -- I think I'll be well taken care of!
Dude, I hate to bust your bubble but the ANF are downright scary, they will flash you with weapons while grabassing around, accidental discharges followed by the 'Allah wills it shrug'.

Learn the difference betwen areas marked with white rocks and red rocks...

And, be sure to take pics of all the vintage Indian and Paki bikes out there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
ethnic conflicts since ever (5 clans or so)

wars against english invasors 100jears ago

against the russian invasion 1980

civil war since then

taliban regime for 5 years or so

kabul is more or less destroyed

there are bikemessengers

disabled people who work for NGOs , united nations ....

there was also a project before the war against the taliban wich was supported by bikemessengers from DC and germany

ask them about cycling

http://www.sportanddev.org/en/organ...-for-rehabilitation-and-recreation-aabrar.htm

if you are searching the web for bike messenger , kabul, ....

you will find a lot more things

afghanistan has a very rich and long history , culture, art,religion.... not only wars

but there are huge areas in the country where it would be not safe for western cyclists

i think it is also not save for people living there

bring pictures with you

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
k2biker said:
just forget i asked. i'll post pics when i get back.
There are some phenom' DH trails just outside of Kabul. Riding through the rubble of Kabul to get there is a challenge, but once there - bomb away down the hills and ride real fast to avoid making the evening news back in the states.:p :p

Don't forget to wear your American Flag Turban!

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I was in Bagram last week. Can't speak to Kabul, but the options on Bagram were very limited. I saw a couple of guys riding some low end Px specials for transportation. Keep in mind it was winter and we got about 8-inches of snow the two weeks I was there. There is a perimeter road around the base that can be run/ridden in clear weather. Same applies for most of the FOBs - access to run or ride depends on security levels. Off base is a no go if you are affiliated with the military. Vehicle movements are 3+ in convoy. Land mines are plentiful and not always well marked in areas that have not been cleared. The gym had a pretty good selection of treadmills, orbitals, and the lifecyle exercise bikes. If you know someone at ISAF, they might be able to give you more specific intel on Kabul.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
endure26 said:
I was in Bagram last week. Can't speak to Kabul, but the options on Bagram were very limited. I saw a couple of guys riding some low end Px specials for transportation. Keep in mind it was winter and we got about 8-inches of snow the two weeks I was there. There is a perimeter road around the base that can be run/ridden in clear weather. Same applies for most of the FOBs - access to run or ride depends on security levels. Off base is a no go if you are affiliated with the military. Vehicle movements are 3+ in convoy. Land mines are plentiful and not always well marked in areas that have not been cleared. The gym had a pretty good selection of treadmills, orbitals, and the lifecyle exercise bikes. If you know someone at ISAF, they might be able to give you more specific intel on Kabul.
Finally, an intelligent response! Thank you very much, Endure! I had read yesterday that some guys were riding those low end specials you mention and some local bikes that they bartered from locals and were kicking around. I'm not going expecting to maintain a certain level of training, I mean I do understand it's a war torn area -- hence the salary increase for the time I'm there :D (daddy needs a new bike)! However, if there is a chance to do SOMETHING, it's better than nothing. Like I said, I'll bring ya pictures of whatever bikes I can find.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
Not listed...

I've just been browsing my copy of the "Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook". It covers all of the 'stans (Uzbek/ Tajik/Turkmen...etc.) but does not list Afghanistan.

Judging by the info given on other "interesting" destinations (like which routes onto the Tibetan plateau have heavy (or bribe-able) Chinese police presence; Dealing with border hassles in breakaway Soviet satellite states), I'm guessing that means Afghanistan's not exactly recommended for at the moment for Westerners wanting to do a little independent biking.

OK... the official word for travellers from the British Foreign Office:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385513

It's not looking good. In summary:

1. We strongly advise against all but essential travel to Kabul and against all travel to the provinces of...[long list]

2. There is a high threat of terrorism in Afghanistan... There continues to be a high threat from vehicle-borne suicide bombers in Kabul and other urban areas.

3. You should maintain a high level of vigilance, restrict your movements, observe the strictest of security measures, and defer any unnecessary travel around the city.

4. There is a continuing kidnap threat against British nationals, including those working for NGOs, in Afghanistan.

5. The security situation remains serious and the threat to Westerners from terrorist or criminal violence remains high.

6. Numerous foreign nationals have been kidnapped across the country and some victims have been killed.

7. If travelling by road you should only travel in fully protected transport, with reputable local drivers and guides.

8. We strongly advise you to avoid any protests, demonstrations and large gatherings.

9. You should be aware that there is a widespread danger from mines and unexploded ordnance throughout Afghanistan.

10. We strongly recommend that comprehensive travel and medical insurance is obtained before travelling.

Hope that helps.
The FCO can be a little pessimisitc sometimes.
Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

DM

·
formerly "ClydesdaleMTB"
94 Posts
Way old thread, but posting up here in case anybody else pulls the same search results.

I'm at BAF w/ my 29"er Karate Monkey, and looking for someone that wants to ride the perimeter loop anytime, or just have a Green Beans.

PM me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.