Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My life has changed recently in a big way, and I want to spend more of my time around people with interests I have. I am in my 40's, and mountain biking has been very important to me for a long time, but the solitary nature is no longer meeting my personal needs. I would like to find other people/groups that I can connect with, who like to stop and smell the cacti, and enjoy each others company.

I am a very competent rider, can do about anything, So Mo has been my playground for 12 years. Are there any regular groups that meet, that have some focus on the fellowship, as well as shear joy of riding?

Also looking for mtn bike camping trips, etc that I could enjoy with my 9 yr old son.

Thanks.

Michael

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
If you've been riding SoMo for the past 12 years then I'm sure we've nodded hello many times. When on your solo rides and a group passes by... ask to join. I am always happy to welcome new folks into the fold and feel that our sport is much more fun as a group activity :) If you've been lingering on this board for a while, then you've seen all the invites. Jump in and go. Walt has his big Quadrule Bypass ride in the McDowell preserve later this month. No better way to make new friends than to go out and suffer together!

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
well, i ride with a small group who focuses on just that: stoping to take in the views, fellowship and just enjoying each other's company - BUT because we're older (50+) we don't ride fast. all of us are intermediate riders and can do long 18+ milers. speed or technical trails are not our motivator.

check also the new meetup.com sites. there's one called scottsdale mtn bikers and one called az mtn bikers.

if you ever wanna ride at a slower pace, lemme know! yesterday morning 5 of us were shredding desert classic. :)

ms kaboose

[new year - new avatar]

·
Registered
659 Posts
masterp2 said:
My life has changed recently in a big way, and I want to spend more of my time around people with interests I have. I am in my 40's, and mountain biking has been very important to me for a long time, but the solitary nature is no longer meeting my personal needs. I would like to find other people/groups that I can connect with, who like to stop and smell the cacti, and enjoy each others company.

I am a very competent rider, can do about anything, So Mo has been my playground for 12 years. Are there any regular groups that meet, that have some focus on the fellowship, as well as shear joy of riding?

Also looking for mtn bike camping trips, etc that I could enjoy with my 9 yr old son.

Thanks.

Michael
I kind of get the impression that when "masterp2" mentions "focus on fellowship" he/she might be talking about "Christian Fellowship" or some other religious fellowship type of thing.

masterp2 may be looking for church group fellowship type of rides and riders . . .

Just a thought.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do try to walk christian lifestyle, but no, any kind that has emphasis on appreciation of "the moment" and those around us...full immersion in the present. That is what I am trying to emphasize for myself.

I have never been very good at relationships, and looking to appreciate people more. That is what I refer to as fellowship, though the term is easily slanted toward religion. Biking seems to have itself covered in it's own religion, not trying to reinvent it or anything.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
General Havoc said:
I kind of get the impression that when "masterp2" mentions "focus on fellowship" he/she might be talking about "Christian Fellowship" or some other religious fellowship type of thing.

masterp2 may be looking for church group fellowship type of rides and riders . . .

Just a thought.
You know what they say about assumptions...

·
Registered
659 Posts
skinny-tire said:
You know what they say about assumptions...
Um, no I don't...

Could you explain it to me in intricate detail with associated charts, graphs and diagrams with lots of extra text and big words. I'm a bit of a simpleton and tend to find it very difficult to understand even the simplest concepts beyond grunts and groans.:madman: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
MP, I live out in the East Valley, near hawes trail and Usury. I am also one of the fabulous 5 Ms. Kaboose referred to earlier. We try to ride a couple times a week normally and you are welcome to join me or us, any time you feel the urge. Good folks and some pretty decent riders, but we are out to smell the roses rather than tempt fate. I have found I dent a lot easier than I once did. Stay in touch, good folks on here.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
the scottsdale mtn bikers meetup group is hosting a ride at pemberton (mcdowell mtn park) this saturday morning at 10am. you don't have to belong to the group to join, just show up. carole is the group organizer and i'll also be there if you're interested. so far 21 people have signed up and they vary in technical expertise and speed. some of the gnarlier ones might do coachwhip/windgate/dixie. one never knows, but we do have fun!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
kaboose said:
the scottsdale mtn bikers meetup group is hosting a ride at pemberton (mcdowell mtn park) this saturday morning at 10am. you don't have to belong to the group to join, just show up. carole is the group organizer and i'll also be there if you're interested. so far 21 people have signed up and they vary in technical expertise and speed. some of the gnarlier ones might do coachwhip/windgate/dixie. one never knows, but we do have fun!
Just an FYI, but there is the MBAA races out at MMP this weekend. I'm pretty sure Pemberton is not in the mix, but just wanted to let you know it will likely be pretty crowded out there.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Just an FYI, but there is the MBAA races out at MMP this weekend. I'm pretty sure Pemberton is not in the mix, but just wanted to let you know it will likely be pretty crowded out there.
yes, we know. the ride was originally posted for the tech-long loop, but after someone mentioned the race in the comp loops, the ride was moved to pemberton. :thumbsup:

http://www.meetup.com/mtbike/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.