Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, my father-in-law tells my wife that after we attend their son/brother's wedding in SLC on memorial day weekend, he wants to ride his bike to Stanford for son/brother's PhD graduation/ceremony..whatever you want to call it....which occurs a few weeks later.

A bike tour is one of the few things I haven't done on a bike yet (track riding is another), but I've really wanted the opportunity, and this seems to be perfect. Soooo, has anyone ridden this stretch(hwy 50 across Nevada is the meat of it, not too worried about UT and CA)?
What can we expect in terms of sleeping arrangements. He was a bit reticent in terms of camping, he doesn't want to carry too much crap...but I told him I'll prolly be hauling a trailer and carrying as much of our crap as possible to even out the fact that I live in CO and will be training all winter for racing this summer, and he lives in N.O. most of the time and does his hill workouts while zig zagging up and down the levy of the ole Miss.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,502 Posts
Hey Flow, you will most likely NEED to camp, not much out there. Water could be an issue as well. The other factor is that you will be riding into the wind, and into the sun, for pretty much the entire time. Just some quick thoughts for you...

·
Older than I feel
1,916 Posts
I've driven US 50 across Utah and Nevada, and it gets pretty desolate out there, a long way between towns. It's likely to get kind of warm in June too. Carrying enough water will be a challenge. It could be epic... or it could be stupid.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Sounds like an adventure.

You might want to consider a support vehicle to carry your stuff. Maybe rent a motorhome so you'll have sleeping quarters as well.

I live in Ely, NV right on your route. What the others said is true. Looooong stretches of desolation. Beautiful desolation.... but desolation nonetheless. Come prepared.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Contact me

I've ridden dirt bikes out there, and done the Hwy 50 thing between SF and Santa Fe, NM numerous times. I know a few great spots to camp and some hot springs that will be like Nirvana when you arrive there. There are brothels out there too, but that's another story.....

It would be wise to look at a map, particularly the elevation, since several of the passes along 50 are quite high. I've had trips in my Cherokee 4WD and the F-250 FWD before it when the snow and wind kept me at about 30 MPH for hours....

In my opinion, this trip would be a lot better AFTER graduation, and heading the other direction. Then all you need to deal with is the blistering heat and the hundreds of miles between water stops.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
chamois cream

flowtron said:
Sooooo, my father-in-law tells my wife that after we attend their son/brother's wedding in SLC on memorial day weekend, he wants to ride his bike to Stanford for son/brother's PhD graduation/ceremony..whatever you want to call it....which occurs a few weeks later.

A bike tour is one of the few things I haven't done on a bike yet (track riding is another), but I've really wanted the opportunity, and this seems to be perfect. Soooo, has anyone ridden this stretch(hwy 50 across Nevada is the meat of it, not too worried about UT and CA)?
What can we expect in terms of sleeping arrangements. He was a bit reticent in terms of camping, he doesn't want to carry too much crap...but I told him I'll prolly be hauling a trailer and carrying as much of our crap as possible to even out the fact that I live in CO and will be training all winter for racing this summer, and he lives in N.O. most of the time and does his hill workouts while zig zagging up and down the levy of the ole Miss.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
lots and lots of chamois cream. :D

sorry i don't have any info more useful. well, except, have a great trip.

rt

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
GuruAtma said:
Remember the Donner Party....
Exactly. The lesson there is to bring as many fellow travelers as you can to supplement your normal food stores. :eekster:

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
I've driven from Provo UT to Carson City and from Carson City to Sacramento on US 50 many, many, many times. Check the Oatbran website for over night ideas (just reverse the order). http://www.bikethewest.com/OATBRAN.html

I think I would prefer to do the ride from West to East as well (just in case the normal afternoon west winds pop up). I know in Carson City and Carson Valley it gets breezy in the afternoons with the winds coming down off the Sierras. But if you ride early it won't be much of an issue.

mbb

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mattbikeboy said:
I've driven from Provo UT to Carson City and from Carson City to Sacramento on US 50 many, many, many times. Check the Oatbran website for over night ideas (just reverse the order). http://www.bikethewest.com/OATBRAN.html

I think I would prefer to do the ride from West to East as well (just in case the normal afternoon west winds pop up). I know in Carson City and Carson Valley it gets breezy in the afternoons with the winds coming down off the Sierras. But if you ride early it won't be much of an issue.

mbb
That is a very helpful site, the mileage and climbing data is $$. Thanks!

Lutarious, thanks, I'll prolly be PMing you in the near future for some beta.

I think rt might have had the best advice so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.