Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know what really grinds my gears?! ; when your riding freinds will say hey lets go this saturday and then punk out! I've got a crazy job that requires much travel and don't gtet to many opportunities to go so if they don't wanna go don't bs me i'll find someone else to go.

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
beat me to it...
get new friends!
when my buddys crap out on me, I just load up the old mp3 player and hit it solo.
(I play pack mule for my unprepared buddies anyway, so already have all the tools and spares I need in my bag.. makes soloing that much easier.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel you. Happened to me a number of times. Its not that I don't like riding solo, but I ride solo on my roadie almost everyday and I would like some companionship lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah man I feel ya. I've been out of the sport for about 5+ years(till about 6 weeks ago) when a buddy bugged me about getting another bike and riding w/ him cause he wanted to start mtn biking. So he buys a bikes and we go ride twice. That was in one week. And haven't rode since. I've rode every Sat. at the local trails and about every night around town. I've tried to plan like riding 3 diffrant rides w/ me and he either makes other plans after saying he'll ride or just totally leaves me high and dry. I've all but given up on riding w/ him. By the time he gets around riding w/ me I'm not going to want to ride w/ him cause he's already slow and now that I know the trails I'm going to leave him or want to ride on the more advanced trails.

So to fix my problems I'm making friends with in the local mtn biking club or just hooking up w/ people already there. Plus on occasion I like to ride by myself and do my pace. Just me and my music.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I had a night ride last night. It was a 4 hour ride. Didn't get home until 4AM. I had the same ride planned with a few other people for this morning. 3 hours of sleep, and I was on the bike with them doing the ride again because I said I would be there. I didn't even tell them that I literally just got off the trail.

Do what you say you are going to do, or don't say it at all. I know people that are riding with me every week... some of them I haven't ridden with in 2 years or more. I don't think they ever ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
whenever i come back from a ride and i'm cleaning my bike up and unpacking my ogio hydration bag, my roomates are always the first to comment

"did you just get back from a ride?" (like it isn't obvious)

and everytime, they go, "oh well next time you go let us know so we can go," and everytime i do, they bail out, everytime, and they wonder why they don't get the invite lol

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I ride solo 99% of the time simply because I like to dictate arriving at the trailhead on my own terms. Every time I try to put together a group theres three or four delays and we end up having to cut short rides. I just got used to doing it by myself and found I like it alot!

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
I ride solo 99% of the time simply because I like to dictate arriving at the trailhead on my own terms.
I'm the same way. And I do not like to promise people that I'll meet them, and then not follow-through. I've a pretty high-stress job, so I try to avoid commitments outside of work. At least, I try to keep my recreation commitment-free, and that generally means I ride solo whenever the spirit moves me (and whenever I can squeeze in some time).

To the original poster: the best thing to do is to probably make plans in your own mind to go riding no matter what. Then go. And if you're friends don't show up, then go anyway.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I feel ya'lls pain...I ride 75% solo...25% with my neighbor...

Like someone said above...I had a friend go out and buy a brand new MTB...said he was ready to get into it...he went with us two times...the second time he fell and bruised up his side...played that excuse for about a month...then every time I would ask him to ride he would make up something else he had to do...well...that was about four months ago...he just asked me last week if I wanted to buy his bike!! I mean...come on man...put it to use!! I told him I would give him $150 for his wheel-set and disc brakes (I don't have um' on my ride)...and that I would give him my wheel-set and v-brakes in case he ever might wanna dust his off down the road...and he was like, "Hell no!!"...so I said..."Fine...let those wheels and disc brakes collect dust then..."

·
Registered
95 Posts
My girlfriend just got into mtbing and she loves it, so we go now. I'm going to plan a few rides with my friend..I hope he doesn't bail like the stories you guys got :-D

-Avinash

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would try riding with my wife...but I know her all too well...she would NOT enjoy the style riding we do...it isn't like we are TOO hardcore...but a lot of the trails we ride have their technical spots...and she wouldn't be down for all that

·
Jump in
94 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Hooking up on the trail with some random rider(s) is usually a good bet. Though I've had that take a turn in the wrong direction, too.
Pretty much everyone I ride with, actually socialize at all with, is someone I met on the trail. Seems a good starting point for developing friendships. I've known, and ridden with, some of these guys going on 20 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
im 16 and kinda dropped outta school in my last year...

beacuse of that i lost a lot of my friends so i do find myself riding solo, its nice to be able create a riding playlist pack all the best songs onto my ipod and ride until it hurts lol

but its ashame that most of the time thats all it is just me and the bike....most me other mates are too like ' mountain biking, why would i wanna get all muddy and fall off and **** my face and arms up'

its like jeez people lol

:mad:

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
puredirt said:
im 16 and kinda dropped outta school in my last year...
:nono:

can you say "would you like fries with that" till you retire?
Go to school, it's not like it's hard, all ya gotta do is show up:rolleyes:

back to the OP:
I have't been on my bike alone in over two years. I always ride with my GF and groups up to five. Sometimes I wish I was alone; I love to ride with her(I'm even luckier she like to ride) and the group, but I can't push myself to the level I want to when I am in a group. there's always the issue of collecting stragglers, someone ALWAYS breaks something, no music, and some trails are too technical for the weaker riders

Then there's the dust. only one can lead. The rest get coated in moondust

·
Registered
525 Posts
I second the "go back to school"...but not because you will be flippin' burgers all your life...do it because it will and can open so many more doors for you down the road.

·
Don't touch me!
774 Posts
What I've found even worse than that, is if you tell them to tune their rig up before getting to the trailhead, so the ride can start quickly and sorta on time. One of my buddies always would say yeah it'll be done. Of course when he shows up, the brakes don't work, shifting sucks, tire needs air, etc etc. Then you have to play pit crew for 30 or so minutes to get their bike rolling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
possessive wives, hangovers, general laziness, misc. excuses, home improvement, yard work, not enough sleep, gotta work, have a cold ....the list goes on and on and on. Or my favorites the 45 minute late guy or the complete no-show.

I never knew it was so hard to make friends to bike with. I ride alone 99% of the time. I'm my most reliable friend.

so, here's to being fiercly independant!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah...the i-pod keeps me company on my many rides...that and the eye-candy at the local trails I ride during the week...haha

Hey...I may be married...but I still have eyes! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts