Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding yesterday. Starr Pass. With the road ride about 28 miles. At least 16 on the road. Starr Pass is a tire spliting, pinch flating, sand sloggling, bone jaring ride. I know people who will not ride it because it just beats you. Nothing super hard or steep. Just rocks with edges that when your climbing are set to push against you, and jostle riders about. Loose babyheads, lips of up to eight to ten inches, Sand with rocks and ledges. Smoothness is the key.

I've been riding a new bike. Matt Chester designed and built it for me after about a year or more of talking about it. Its a cross bike fixie. I'm riding it with some Continental Twisters 42c tires. The wheels are designed and built by Veals. Peace baby.
I'm using a 38 to 18 gear.

So back to Starr pass, not the easiest place to ride a cross sized tire. I road the day before with Dejay, had upped the pressure in the tires and had a miseralble ride. Yesterday with Jay I dropped the pressed down as low as I could imagine, maybe forty psi. I had to remember to keep soft and light and even slow down, but the traction was good. Riding a cross bike, any cross bike on trails like this edges on fool, but then I ride cause I like it. It's not so steep that I have to have total concentration, but the trails are fast enought that with very low pressure you pinch. So it it a slow down sort of ride. It's a weird feeling. Very relaxing when I don't fight against the flow.

AS the terrain becomes smoother this becomes the fastest bike I've ever been on. Fire roads, Fantasy Island. Unbelieveible. Smooth.

No doubt a fixie is a challenge. It is a satifying challenge. Plus it makes trackstands much easier.

That's the spirit of the ride report.

Rudi

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
True words Rudi

Riding 700x40s off road is great fun...well the fun is the chalange of it I guess :) Goes double for fixed.

If its too easy its no fun, like playing a computer game with the cheats on!

Alex

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
you're high.

All that talk and no pics??

Get on it little man. Two weeks from now 'til you eat my cereal?

The baby ferrets are gonna keep you awake ALL night long!! I can't wait.

Love ya!

·
Registered
354 Posts
thanks Rudy

Rudi said:
Went riding yesterday. Starr Pass. With the road ride about 28 miles. At least 16 on the road. Starr Pass is a tire spliting, pinch flating, sand sloggling, bone jaring ride. I know people who will not ride it because it just beats you. Nothing super hard or steep. Just rocks with edges that when your climbing are set to push against you, and jostle riders about. Loose babyheads, lips of up to eight to ten inches, Sand with rocks and ledges. Smoothness is the key.

I've been riding a new bike. Matt Chester designed and built it for me after about a year or more of talking about it. Its a cross bike fixie. I'm riding it with some Continental Twisters 42c tires. The wheels are designed and built by Veals. Peace baby.

So back to Starr pass, not the easiest place to ride a cross sized tire. I road the day before with Dejay, had upped the pressure in the tires and had a miseralble ride. Yesterday with Jay I dropped the pressed down as low as I could imagine, maybe forty psi. I had to remember to keep soft and light and even slow down, but the traction was good. Riding a cross bike, any cross bike on trails like this edges on fool, but then I ride cause I like it. It's not so steep that I have to have total concentration, but the trails are fast enought that with very low pressure you pinch. So it it a slow down sort of ride. It's a weird feeling. Very relaxing when I don't fight against the flow.

AS the terrain becomes smoother this becomes the fastest bike I've ever been on. Fire roads, Fantasy Island. Unbelieveible. Smooth.

No doubt a fixie is a challenge. It is a satifying challenge. Plus it makes trackstands much easier.

Rudi
Hi Rudi, I tried fixed on my Cross check, after reading your little article in dirt rag. I run a 39/16 with cheap 35c ritchey trailmix tires, but I ride it a bit on the road also, and it's a good road gear, off road I have to ride it on flatter trails, and I can last about 1 1/2 hours. I am thinking about trying fixed for the upcomming cross season, but I don't have the fixed cross dismount down yet.
2 weeks or so ago I took the cross check out on a ride, cause I didnn't want to worry about failing brake pads, freewheels, or rim wear, in the muckey wet muddy western Washington trails. It was a blast, ridding sideways through muckey corners, and going over wet log piles, oh joy, lots of fun.
ADAM

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration...

After talking to you briefly on the trail at last year's 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo, I was stunned that you were riding fixed. After the race, I was talking to my pit crew (my wife) about you, and she thought you were nuts. I explained that you were probably not certifiably insane, just an ubermensch on a bicycle to be able to ride fixed off road. i had only started riding fixed on road a few weeks before, and although I knew some guys back east who rode fixed in the dirt, I just couldn't imagine it.
When we got home after Tucson, I started thinking about converting my SS Cross-Check to fixed.
As they say, it was all downhill from there. I started riding the fixed CX bike more than my Karate Monkey. So, in September, I decided it was time to convert that as well! My wife now thinks I'm nuts. I haven't ridden freewheel at all since then.
Thanks for being a good guy, and sparking my interest in this.

the los

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rudi said:

Rudi
40 psi is too high for a comfortable ride on cross tires over rough terrain unless you are very heavy. The conti twisters measure out to about 38 c. Try taking it down to 35 PSI and you'll be much happier.

FWIW, I'm 175-185 lbs depending on the season and never go above 35 in my cross tires (usually michelin muds if I'm running clinchers (35c), I'll go down to 25-30 on tubbies).

Cool sounding bike. Pictures please!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Rudi

Between your words and my conversations with Matt I've really gained a better appreciation for how to indulge this fixed passion we share. Freewheel-free on my Chester Ute for over one year now, and in the works with Matt is a much needed, radius increasing improvement :)

Keep 'em spinning!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
lookin for some advice or opinions.ive been riding strictly fixed almost 2 years recently put a freewheel on for a race did ok really missed the fix. i now have the whiskey 50 in 2 weeks my problem is should i do it free or throw the fix back on it as planned.ill leave it up to you all but im leaning torward the fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys

Well, I can only hope that this will land where I want it to. Hey, riding is an inspiration fest. You guys are way cool.

As for pressure in the tires. I'll get lower over time. I totally agree that the riding is much more comfy. I just have to get smoother, cause I'm pinching on the climbs. Probably riding to fast.

Mateo, my friend, If I could paint and ride, I'm working on that, then I'll just scan the paintings and post'm. Cereal. Mmmmmmm. I'm coo-coo for coco-puffs.

If you want my advice for the Whiskey..... I'll be riding fixed. Join me. I'll bring the mescal for the post-ride shot.

If you want to see picts of my bike go to mattchester's gallery. My pic have a golden hue to them with some paintings in the background.

Rudi

G

·
Rudi said:
If you want to see picts of my bike go to mattchester's gallery. My pic have a golden hue to them with some paintings in the background.
Glad I stopped in while breaking from the one-armed moving job. :)

The pics aren't on the Gallery yet, so I'll post some here.

As far as the tire pressure issue: I've been riding skinnies in the rough stuff for many, many years including in some long MTB events and I'll deal with a little higher pressure in the name of flat prevention and rim life, especially with clinchers. Good position and bike fit play a far greater role in comfort, especially riding fixed as your mobility on the bike is a bit limited.

mc

Attachments

G

·
tire pressure

I am gonna have to agree with the drummer from def leopard on tire pressure especially since I just flat spotted my cxp33 on a ride yesterday running my pressure a little low at least for the rocks in palmer park

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Rudi's bike

Matt,

Rudi's bike is still the prettiest thing I have EVER laid eyes on! I've not yet seen it personally, but will in a coupla weeks....but that setup, with the bars up comfortably high and such, is just pure perfection to these old eyes!

Someday soon, I'll come to my senses and plunk down some money so's you can build me a big ol' one just like that!

Rudi, I only have some good organic "Raisin Bran".....now I gotta go buy freakin' Cocoa Puffs, eh?? Hee! Do you put "cow milk" on CCPuffs?? Anything for my Sensei......

Mateo

·
Registered
590 Posts
NIce....

I'm afraid when we rode it as a "training" ride before the "24 hours in the Ol' Puddle" Not once did I think of riding it fixed. ESPECIALLY on 40c tires. We did ride it SS and rigid, tho I had 3" Gazzi on the front...
tho I have run fixed on our local trails and am thinking of putting the mtb tires on the fixie again...

Nice rudi

bike ON

bob

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.