Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going riding from CB parking lot around 2:45 if anybody would like to join
I came into work early this morning.
I think the temps are cold enough that the trails should be good.
If not, I/we will turn back.......

lemmeknow if per chance anybody is free at this time.

I need to ride and am Jonesing

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I went this morning....

Go up Hulls instead of going down on it... Some sections are icy and not safe. The connector between the MX parking lot and Hulls has almost no snow but gets lots of exposure from the sun and is rutted and muddy in the afternoons. 8th Street is good all the way up except for a 100 yard section by "the crack". Bobs maybe good all day. Kestrel-Freeway-Sidewinder maybe good also except for the exposed parts of Sidewinder. I also heard Corrals was good but I have not been there in the past week or so...
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud

flipnidaho said:
Go up Hulls instead of going down on it... Some sections are icy and not safe. The connector between the MX parking lot and Hulls has almost no snow but gets lots of exposure from the sun and is rutted and muddy in the afternoons. 8th Street is good all the way up except for a 100 yard section by "the crack". Bobs maybe good all day. Kestrel-Freeway-Sidewinder maybe good also except for the exposed parts of Sidewinder. I also heard Corrals was good but I have not been there in the past week or so...
Enjoy!
will do

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Enjoy!
I put down the KY and chardonnay long enough yesterday afternoon (around 2) to ride dork loop/ sidewinder/chickadee yesterday. Some bare/wet spots here and there, but most of the trails were under enough snow that they were fairly frozen. Sidewinder, surprisingly enough, was the wettest of all the trails, but it does have the most pure southern exposure. Hulls was fairly sketchy, but we did ride down it without incident. I think it's below freezing out there (or right at freezing), and with the cloud layer and fog today (welcome back the inversion), the trails should be less thawed than they were yesterday. Keep your tires on the snow and you'll be fine.

Daryl - Have a good ride and let us know how the trails are today - it looks like the "trail conditions" thread has sort of fizzled out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of Hulls was Vanilla frosting

Earthpig said:
I put down the KY and chardonnay long enough yesterday afternoon (around 2) to ride dork loop/ sidewinder/chickadee yesterday. Some bare/wet spots here and there, but most of the trails were under enough snow that they were fairly frozen. Sidewinder, surprisingly enough, was the wettest of all the trails, but it does have the most pure southern exposure. Hulls was fairly sketchy, but we did ride down it without incident. I think it's below freezing out there (or right at freezing), and with the cloud layer and fog today (welcome back the inversion), the trails should be less thawed than they were yesterday. Keep your tires on the snow and you'll be fine.

Daryl - Have a good ride and let us know how the trails are today - it looks like the "trail conditions" thread has sort of fizzled out.
Glad you had a good ride.
I went up Hulls and most of it was nice frozen vanilla dirt, a few short spots were a bit wet, not muddy just very tacky. Then up part of Sidewinder, where I took a photo almost at sunset.

Oh since it is what about 30deg, I thought to try riding Table Rock area thinking it just might be frozen; well, about 10 seconds, literally on golf course and I turned back and drove to the N. End.

Quick Gear Info
Pearl IzumiI long tights with the wind coating are awesome;
They were kinda expensive but really glad I picked these up from Georges, well worth it!
My toes got cold on the way down -this even with smart wool socks and Lake winter shoes, I'm going to have to get the Gore socks I think (the ones' Brad mentioned)
Unless someobody knows another trick.

What' the best chain lube for these conditions? (other than KY, I know that's an old thread!)

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Try these

Get neoprene booties from IMT (Trek brand). These have cut outs for the cleats, heel and toe box for the treads of your shoes. I used to have the Sidi winter shoes (talk about expensive) but they didn't work any better than booties. BTW- my limit for riding in less than 30 degrees is 1 hour. When I went out at 730am this morning, it was 19 degrees!
Use the same lube as you would normally use (I use Krytech). As an extra step, you can also use Pam spray around the pedals, cleats, chain stay bridge, seat stay bridge, fork brace, cassette, etc... Pretty much everywhere where snow will accumulate so you can just bounce the bike up and down to get rid of the snow... Obviously, don't get it on braking surfaces...
Enjoy...

·
******-fied facsimiles
399 Posts
I agree......

flipnidaho said:
Get neoprene booties from IMT (Trek brand). These have cut outs for the cleats, heel and toe box for the treads of your shoes. I used to have the Sidi winter shoes (talk about expensive) but they didn't work any better than booties. BTW- my limit for riding in less than 30 degrees is 1 hour. When I went out at 730am this morning, it was 19 degrees!
Use the same lube as you would normally use (I use Krytech). As an extra step, you can also use Pam spray around the pedals, cleats, chain stay bridge, seat stay bridge, fork brace, cassette, etc... Pretty much everywhere where snow will accumulate so you can just bounce the bike up and down to get rid of the snow... Obviously, don't get it on braking surfaces...
Enjoy...
I agree with the chain lube, just use what you usually use.
I had really good luck with my Lake Boots, I was never really impressed with booties. But hey, these are all great ways to keep warm. Sunday I rode at 730 in 22 degrees, in xc gloves and woolie boolies and my six six one tennie runners, once I got warmed up i was fine the rest of the ride. Helps when shoving a 43 lb bike up the hill.

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
toe warmers

go buy yourself a box of toe warmers for your lakes. Where a thin cycling sock and then put the warmer on the end of your toes on the top (this is very important, they suck on the bottom) pull a nice wool sock over the top and put on your lakes. This will keep the toes warm for 4 to 6 hours. And keep the shoes loose in the toes, let the air circulate.

I can't stand booties for winter mountain biking since I trash them when I have to hike. On my third pair of lakes now and would not go any other way in the winter.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Lakes Rock

I got a pair this winter after trashing the PI booties on the hike-a-bikes. I wear one pair of thick fleece socks - haven't needed toe warmers yet this year. Was out for 2 hours in the dark last night and was toasty and warm. Get em you won't regret it.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same as Nels mentioned

smilycook said:
go buy yourself a box of toe warmers for your lakes. Where a thin cycling sock and then put the warmer on the end of your toes on the top (this is very important, they suck on the bottom) pull a nice wool sock over the top and put on your lakes. This will keep the toes warm for 4 to 6 hours. And keep the shoes loose in the toes, let the air circulate.

I can't stand booties for winter mountain biking since I trash them when I have to hike. On my third pair of lakes now and would not go any other way in the winter.
I'll go over to IMT or Georges and buy the warmers

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Vino Slushy

BelaySlave said:
Just curious as to everyone's limit on how cold it'll get before you say "SCREW THIS!!!".
When my Chardonnay starts to freeze

Seriously, post a new thread on this topic - winter riding is a test of craziness and if you love empty trails not a bad time to be on your bike.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like my Lakes too

smilycook said:

So
Thin sock
Then warmer over sock on top (not on bare feet)
Then wool sock over warmer
so warmer is between wool sock and think sock
then Lakes

correct?

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
BelaySlave said:
Just curious as to everyone's limit on how cold it'll get before you say "SCREW THIS!!!".

I *think* mid/upper 20s for me with no wind and no rain/snow, but that's kinda pushing it. I'd much rather prefer it to be in the 30s though. And only for about an hour or so.
Well, still commuting to/from work now and then as of yesterday. Left the house at 17deg, home in the dark at 19.

Neopreme booties, full face balaclava, cheap snowboard mitts, goretex jacket over two thin layers, illuminite tights, amber ski goggles, two bright flashing red led lights on the back, mediocre headlights on front. It was all good.

CDB

·
Registered
186 Posts
here how i commute. pair of jeans, normal shoes for flat pedals. hoodie. hat. north face gloves, most important part. i pod. sunglasses. no helmet. go fast enough to keep up heat but slow enough to keep down windchill. it sucks, i look at my car every morning and wonder why im riding when i have no reason to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.