Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I'm not loving the weather up here in Northern NM. I will be in July, but am not digging it right now. I've got a free day off pass for Saturday and would like to spend it in the dirt. This means I must travel south!

Any takers? Guides? My current vision is to slip and slide out of this snowy town at 6am Saturday, roll into Dona Ana by 11a and ride until sunset. Catch a hefty dinner, fill a thermos full with coffee, and be back home by Midnight-1am.

I am willing to wander around with my survival pack and GPS and hope for the best, but would enjoy a group ride better. Let me know if you're available. If no interest, perhaps at least point me in the direction of a good meal in cruces!

TIA - Richard

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Breakfast at Burger Time, lunch at Dick's, dinner at Chopes down in La Mesa - BYO forty. But I can't help you with any of the ridin' stuff. Have a great road trip!
- Joe (who's also not loving the weather in LA)

RichardinLA said:
SO, I'm not loving the weather up here in Northern NM. I will be in July, but am not digging it right now. I've got a free day off pass for Saturday and would like to spend it in the dirt. This means I must travel south!

Any takers? Guides? My current vision is to slip and slide out of this snowy town at 6am Saturday, roll into Dona Ana by 11a and ride until sunset. Catch a hefty dinner, fill a thermos full with coffee, and be back home by Midnight-1am.

I am willing to wander around with my survival pack and GPS and hope for the best, but would enjoy a group ride better. Let me know if you're available. If no interest, perhaps at least point me in the direction of a good meal in cruces!

TIA - Richard

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe,

Dinner is what I'm looking at. Thanks for the tip, but I better stay within LC proper... maybe Farley's? Some place where I can just show up, in questionable condition, and get a kickin' burger, maybe some hot wings.

R

NuMexJoe said:
Breakfast at Burger Time, lunch at Dick's, dinner at Chopes down in La Mesa - BYO forty. But I can't help you with any of the ridin' stuff. Have a great road trip!
- Joe (who's also not loving the weather in LA)

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Sounds like a long day - drive/ride/drive.

The weather is supposed to be good this weekend.

I can give directions to trailheads and some maps. If you have a good idea of a meet time, we can probably corral some trail ambassadors.

Have you ridden here before? I usually think of the "South Dona Anas" Horny Toad Hustle route for an intro ride. Then there are options from there.

.d.

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LCdaveH said:
Sounds like a long day - drive/ride/drive.

The weather is supposed to be good this weekend.

I can give directions to trailheads and some maps. If you have a good idea of a meet time, we can probably corral some trail ambassadors.

Have you ridden here before? I usually think of the "South Dona Anas" Horny Toad Hustle route for an intro ride. Then there are options from there.
VERY long day. I'm up for it though... I think :eekster:

Never ridden the area. If you recommend South Dona Anas, I will go that route. Didn't get to do da Hustle last year, would be cool to see the route. I really hope to do 40-50 miles though. Does the South splinter off in lots of different directions like the North?

I fully expect to be through albuquerque by 8am. What's that leave.... 3 hours to Cruces? I'm hoping to roll in right at 11am. Sanity check needed there.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way. -R

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
RichardinLA said:
VERY long day. I'm up for it though... I think :eekster:

Never ridden the area. If you recommend South Dona Anas, I will go that route. Didn't get to do da Hustle last year, would be cool to see the route. I really hope to do 40-50 miles though. Does the South splinter off in lots of different directions like the North?

I fully expect to be through albuquerque by 8am. What's that leave.... 3 hours to Cruces? I'm hoping to roll in right at 11am. Sanity check needed there.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way. -R
Here is a map link (big download)

Cerro Jornada (South Dona Anas map)

(The trails are shown in dark green lines.)

Directions to the trail head (you'll be coming from the north, so turn left (go east) at the Dona Ana exit:

Directions: I-25 north from Las Cruces to the Dona Ana exit (exit 9). Turn
east at the stop sign, left at the Ben Archer Health Center (Del Rey), and right on
Calle Las Lomas. Take the first left on La Reina, and then the first right on
Desert Wind Way. A couple miles up, just past the big power lines, the
parking lot will be on your left.

You can definitely put together an epic long ride - photomap below.

I'll try to be at the trailhead at 11am-ish with maybe some other gung ho adventurers. I probably won't feel fast enough or strong enough to go for a full day ride, but can hopefully get you pointed in the right direction. digits = 5056448415

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dave!

Left Los Alamos temp 9 degrees
Arrive Dona Ana temp 49 degrees
Met Dave and three other bikers. All were up for a half day ride and I had a great time. Bit of a wind to keep things crisp, but not bad all in all. I enjoyed the mix of trails, some loss and sketch, some sticky.
What a great day, despite being a little congested. I think I'll sleep GOOD tonight.

R
LCdaveH said:
dundidoody

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
RichardinLA said:
Left Los Alamos temp 9 degrees
Arrive Dona Ana temp 49 degrees
Met Dave and three other bikers. All were up for a half day ride and I had a great time. Bit of a wind to keep things crisp, but not bad all in all. I enjoyed the mix of trails, some loss and sketch, some sticky.
What a great day, despite being a little congested. I think I'll sleep GOOD tonight.

R
Excellent day. I needed a long effort on the trails.

Good job making the loooong drive back north :)

Some data stuff:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.