Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interest of posting "riding content" and to make up for my last lame thread, I have stolen this from the 29"er board. Apologies if you saw it already.

The Dells trails are one of the best things to happen in Prescott this last year. Close to town, technical, a great power workout. You can go out there for a short after work hit and not feel like you are committed to a two hour minimum ride.

Anyway, I love these trails. There are only two miles available right now, but around ten more are planned as the city has acquired more of this great land.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Nice. I said to myself before reading your note below "The Dells?". Used to live in Prescott, but unfortunately I did not mt bike then. Kind of wish I took it up sooner now.

You have redeemed yourself.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul B said:
Gorgeous.

Can you now tell us about how awesome/awful/fast/slow/predictable/unpredictable/good/bad (depending on your mood) your RIP9 is? :-D

p.
That is not my RIP 9?

If it helps, the RIP is getting sold. It is a good bike but overall not my bag. I had some great riding on it, I also found it annoying at times. I would never call it awful, bad, unpredictable or anything negative, just not my style. It's a good bike overall.

I prefer to ride great bikes:D

Edit: I see you were tongue in cheek.

Touche.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yep Enel it is a great place. It will be even greater when we get it all finished. Volunteered a little on monday, starting on the new section going north. Should be fun. FYI the builder is heading out at 4 to check out his handy work.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
helimech said:
Yep Enel it is a great place. It will be even greater when we get it all finished. Volunteered a little on monday, starting on the new section going north. Should be fun. FYI the builder is heading out at 4 to check out his handy work.
I rode the new stuff yesterday. It will be stellar when done.

I am pretty happy I can finally clean everything on the current trails on my geared bike, and everything except the second rock after the narrow rock chute when climbing on the SS. Took me ten tries to get one section SS, but it is fun to just session it. The trail is so short, I never feel the pressure to keep moving along.

·
No Clue Crew
7,594 Posts
Curious what your overall impression of the RIP is as an AZ bike. I'm actually contemplating trying the 29er thing again, this time FS, as a complement to my 575. Others on the list would be the Sultan, possibly a Monk and a 'Moth.

Thanks.
d

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts
helimech said:
Thank you and everyone for all the hard work on the trails over there....sure is fun to ride.
(or try) :D

Cheers, Billy

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blatant said:
Curious what your overall impression of the RIP is as an AZ bike. I'm actually contemplating trying the 29er thing again, this time FS, as a complement to my 575. Others on the list would be the Sultan, possibly a Monk and a 'Moth.
Of your list I would rank them this way:

1. Moth
2. Moth
3. Moth
4. Rip 9
5. Monk (unless price is a concern then it goes to #1)
6. Sultan.

The RIP is a great AZ bike, but the Moth has way better geometry that seems well suited to the terrain in my hands.

My opinion is very biased, but my experience with Lenz bikes has been amazing, and I have tried examples of most of the other designs on the market. I go through a decent amount of bikes, and my only regret was selling my 5" travel Lenz. The RIP was supposed to replace it. It simply can't fill those shoes, so I will be picking up another used Moth

If you are more of a Desert Classic type hammerhead rider, the Niner will take the lead with the DW Turner a close second.. If you are more of a National trail/chunk type rider, the Lenz can not be beat.

·
No Clue Crew
7,594 Posts
Thanks, man. I just went back and read your "tweener" thread and got a lot of info. Sounds like we have similar builds (I'm 6'2", 185, long legs/short torso) and have similar wants in a bike (short CS, not too front heavy, a little slack).

I mostly ride PMP, most of the chunky, techy stuff out there. I rode DC once in the last year.

Sounds like the Lenz is the ticket. Only thing I don't like about it, in all honesty, is I find the frames really ugly :eek:

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Blatant said:
Sounds like the Lenz is the ticket. Only thing I don't like about it, in all honesty, is I find the frames really ugly :eek:
I believe my orange Beshemoth is the most beautiful bike in the world. The sturdy joining of the top and down tubes, the arch of the top tube, the beefy silver rear triangle. It's a work of art. But more important than how it looks is how it rides. How I love that bike..... I can't believe Enel sold his orange moth. tsk tsk tsk.

·
No Clue Crew
7,594 Posts
I love orange, but just don't care for the way the Lenz frames join at the head tube. Wouldn't stop me from rocking one, though. I still think Turner makes the cleanest frames in the industry. I'm surprised Enel rated the Sultan at the bottom of my possibility list, though I've never actually ridden the Sultan.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I dont know if I should be reading all the opinions on the RIP or not. I am one of those that just recently purchased an '08, but I must admit some of my motivation was impulse based on the price:confused: . I think I will be really happy because this will be my first FS, so I will keep telling myself that those of you who have fallen out of love with the RIP are just insatiable bike junkies, no offense;) . Enel, I appreciate your input, very detailed.

Paul B. - How do you like your RIP?

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
My 2008 RIP9 is the best bike I've ever owned. Seriously. It's very neutral -- feels at home on Desert Classic and on National. It was a good ride in an enduro race I did this year, and it was a good ride for hitting Pinal Mountain.

While I own a LOT of bikes, I prefer to have one go-to ride. The RIP is that ride. No, it's not a beefy or stiff as the Stinky, and I wouldn't ride it on Holbert or Mormon. It's not as whippet-fast as the SS, and it'd be a too much to haul around the 24HOTOP course. It's right there in the middle doing everything pretty well.

That said, I'm already saving up for an '09. I'm a clyde and need all the frame stiffness I can get. That's what they did for next year's frame. This year's frame has held up beautifully so far, and I'll hopefully be selling it to help pay for the new frame.

p.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.