Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Demon Cleaner
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since today was a holiday and the weather has been so nice, I decided to get out for an AM ride. Lacking company, I decided to bring the camera and have fun taking pictures along the way. I know I've enjoyed reading many other's passion posts over the years--especially when stuck inside because of weather or injury or work or whathaveyou--so now I'm sharing my own ride. The photography doesn't live up to the high standards of most folks set here, but it's always fun to see new trails right?

The first photo is the road up under the old RR trestle. About two miles of dirt road, then single track and double track up to the top of the grade in the background. Then a photo from the top looking towards the Pacific (hazy today, it's been super clear lately, but today you can't even see Morro Rock or the ocean.) Another picture looking inland. Then the trail down.

Attachments

·
Demon Cleaner
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been hot lately, but perfect riding weather today

It has been in the 80s for the last week, and while I enjoy it, it was on the hot side for riding. Today started in the low 60s and is now around 70. Perfect riding weather.

Attachments

·
It's the axle
1,766 Posts
You'll never believe this.

I almost bought 100 acres that is the property on the left of the first picture.
I miss that area so much.

The rollers!

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

·
bonkin' clyde
834 Posts
Almost??

Gregg K said:
I almost bought 100 acres that is the property on the left of the first picture.
I miss that area so much.

The rollers!

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.
Dude, you should've bought it. trails right outta the backyard!

·
trail rat
7,794 Posts
And the rest of us poor slobs have to ride 1.6 miles from downtown where I live to get to this point. :p

·
It's the axle
1,766 Posts
It was questionable.

bluronthetrails said:
Dude, you should've bought it. trails right outta the backyard!
The price was right. But water was a possible issue. And no trees. So I opted for Humboldt county. I don't regret it. Besides, I wore those trails out in SLO.

I'll never forget the morning it snowed there. I rode up the rollers to the top of the grade, and rode down the highway while all the cars were stopped. People thought I was nuts.

·
It's the axle
1,766 Posts
Where is that?

Brown_Teeth said:
Love to hammer it right about here:
It's not the back side of Madonna. But it kind of looks like it.

Also, where is Batista ranch?

I still love it down there. There's 80 acres of land up in See Canyon that I am drooling over. I can't stop thinking about the area. And I still haven't explored the possible trail from Atascadero to the ridge.

Waaaaa. I'm getting all nostalgic.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks for the pix.

I used to live in Grover Beach and the pictures brought back fond memories of Central Coast singletrack. I was there in SLO town last month with the family and brought the road and mountain bikes...I did Shooters one day and a road ride out to Montana de Oro. Looks like your trail pictures are from West Cuesta Ridge and Morning Glory and the bottom of Morning Glory where it meets up with Shooters again.

Ride on buddy! :)

·
just along for the ride
3,032 Posts
That picture is from Batista ranch now a part of Morro Bay State park, its about 300 acres of state maintained singletrack . Getting to cuesta ridge from Atascadero is tricky since you have to go through frog pound mountain which is about as high as the ridge then back down to Cerro Alta campground on some very crude privately owned trails. Best just to start at the Cerro Alta campground off hwy 41, park before the gate to avoidhaving to by a day parking pass. Have fun!

·
Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
Tough to beat California weather

Beautiful weather and good riding. I'm going to go ride in the wet and cold here in the Columbia River Gorge today. I don't like it but I have to ride...

I just wish half the country didn't live in California or I would move out there...and I wish it wasn't so darn expensive to live there.

Jaybo

·
Demon Cleaner
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It isn't crowded here...

well sort of. Depends on what you mean by crowded. However, it is sick expensive. Sick. And SLO isn't even in the thick of it. Browse the real estate ads for Santa Barbara sometime if you want to be depressed.

The demographics reflect this too. Young professionals and families with children are disapearing from Coastal California. I train secondary school social studies teachers, and I can tell you my students have a grim future unless they move elsewhere or have family money. No way to buy a house on $40k a year. And since all the families and young couples flee the area, local schools are seeing rapid drops in enrollment.

Ah, the new fuedal age. Those that own are rolling in unearned and unliquid wealth (from owning a house), while those who do not, look forward to spending a very large portion of their future income on housing.

But the riding is great!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.