Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be camping in that area week after next and am ready to bring the bike along if I can find some trails local to the area. Anyone familiar with that particular stretch of the 260 between Payson and Show Low? I'm looking for something within a 20 minute drive or so, Woods Canyon? Willow Springs? Payson and Show Low are both a little farther than I want to travel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Two in the area I know about, but have not ridden.
Several trails into the Mazatal Mountains off 87. Gold and Deer Creek trails start just south of junction 87 and 188, to the west. Limited distances as much of the Mazatals are wilderness.
Ghost of the Coyote Trail is about 20 miles west of Show Low. Doubletrack.

·
What, who, me?
215 Posts
Ghost of the Coyote Trail...

is right out my in-laws front door. i have ridden it twice in the past 4 years. very RUSTIC is what i will call it. when i rode both times trail was not very maintained and was hard to follow tree markers. if you go i hope it's way better then when i went. post up and let me know how it is :thumbsup:

mike

·
EDR
10,586 Posts
you could...park at the 260 trailhead N.E. of Christopher Creek. Head up Military Sinkhole then take the rim trail (Highline?) west a few miles and drop down into Drew Trail. Make you're way back down near Chris Creek and ride the road back or for all singletrack you take See Springs trial east and find your way back to the 260 TH. See Paul's, I think the route is laid out in there.

Note: Some hike a bike required to reach the rim, at least when I rode it and the Drew trail was a little hard to find, but it is there and drops steeply down the mountain at first.

Apparently you can hook this ride up with Derrik and Horton trails. I've hiked Horton, not sure how great of a mtb trail it is but if I remember much of it is wide jeep road/double track and the rest if tight singletrack that skirts the creek. I've only hiked a few minutes of Derrik but it seemed like a rideable trail. Looks like Epicrider has done it:

Map courtesy of Dale (Epicrider)

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow. Way to resurect an 8 year old post. Payson has lots of riding now. There are also some fun trails in and around Woods Canyon Lake. I can't speak for Heber, but Payson is striving to create more mountain bike opportunities. It's slow, but it's happening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.