Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm in need of some info and I'm hoping that a few locals might be able to show me some "southern hospitality"? My parents live in Charlotte and I am going to visit them for Thanksgiving....as which point we are going on a short vacation to Black Mountain (just east of asheville). I'm wondering if it's worth shipping my bike out there/renting a bike to ride for a few days? I wouldn't mind getting out of the house (away from the relatives) for a little sanity.

Here are the potential issues I see:
1. It may be too cold? I remember a lot of creek crossings that may not be too much fun in later Nov?
2. Trailheads with good riding may be too far to make it worthwhile? I really don't want to drive more than about :30 to get to a trailhead if I'm going to spend time with family.

So the real questions are: 1. What is the typical weather like near asheville around Thanksgiving? and 2. What good riding options are there around near the town of Black Mountain? Most of the riding I have done has been in Pisgah around Brevard...but it's been a while.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Bent Creek is about exactly 30 minutes from Black Mountain.
Motion Makers had some nice rentals last time I was there and it's on your way to BC. I'm too lazy to post links this am. Try the PAS link in my sig for some routes at BC and probably the Motion Makers contact info.

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bent Creek is about exactly 30 minutes from Black Mountain.
Motion Makers had some nice rentals last time I was there and it's on your way to BC. I'm too lazy to post links this am. Try the PAS link in my sig for some routes at BC and probably the Motion Makers contact info.
Thanks for the info...I'll give that shop a call and see what they have available. BC looks like it has lots of options. Looks like I can expect highs in the 50's which sounds about perfect...

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are 2 trails basically right in Black Mountain. The trailhead for Kitsuma is located in Ridgecrest [2.5 miles from Black Mountain] and is in the Grandfather District of the Pisgah National Forest. Even with the reworking of the trail done in the spring, it is still a fun trail and well worth riding. Information and reviews of Kitsuma can be found in the trail section of this website [mtbr.com]. The other trail is in Montreat. The trailhead is on Lookout Road and starts as Rainbow Way. Rainbow Way takes you the Old Toll Road. The Old Toll Road goes all the way to Mount Mitchell. During hunting season [Oct. 1st - Jan. 1st], bikers cannot go past the intersection with Appalachian Way. But that leaves 5 miles of climbing and the ride back down to Montreat.

Alan owns the bike shop, Epic Cycles, in Black Mountain. If you get in touch with the shop, he should be able to rent you a bike and possible find some locals to join you on the rides.

·
Chumley for prez!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are 2 trails basically right in Black Mountain. The trailhead for Kitsuma is located in Ridgecrest [2.5 miles from Black Mountain] and is in the Grandfather District of the Pisgah National Forest. Even with the reworking of the trail done in the spring, it is still a fun trail and well worth riding. Information and reviews of Kitsuma can be found in the trail section of this website [mtbr.com]. The other trail is in Montreat. The trailhead is on Lookout Road and starts as Rainbow Way. Rainbow Way takes you the Old Toll Road. The Old Toll Road goes all the way to Mount Mitchell. During hunting season [Oct. 1st - Jan. 1st], bikers cannot go past the intersection with Appalachian Way. But that leaves 5 miles of climbing and the ride back down to Montreat.

Alan owns the bike shop, Epic Cycles, in Black Mountain. If you get in touch with the shop, he should be able to rent you a bike and possible find some locals to join you on the rides.
Great information....Thanks! I'll give Alan a shout as the time gets closer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.