Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so maybe the title caught your eye in the glance over the threads... I was riding today (and this happened the other day)... and I am just pushing myself to go as fast and far as I can. On a few uphills I thought I might throw-up. Is this normal?

I thought it might because it is 100 degree here (but I ride under a tree canopy)... (And the humidity is awful)

or

Out of shape (although I've been working hard to get back in)

or

Pushing myself too hard, and getting my heartbeats way too high?

or

Drinking too much water offsetting the PH in my stomache...

This is a very random topic, but I'm looking for answers.

S6

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drink Water

It's 90% of the time caused by heat exhaustion. Drink more water no matter how much you have already drank, it is not enough is the 100 degree heat. When I was in Desert Storm and when i was stationed in the Desert in Ca, we had to drink a gallon every two to three hours.

·
Don't touch me!
843 Posts
Probably a combination of the first three. Lately, on some of my road rides, I've gotten into a couple of spells where I feel a little nauseas when I stop. I'm in decent shape, so I'm thinking it's the heat & humidity. Probably exerting too much effort in conditions I'm not 100% acclimated to as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
who cares if you puke

Well before i say what im going to say i will emphasize that it is very important you are hydrated and know how far you can push yourself. Best thing is to dring more leading up to your event. You should be fully hydrated (piss being clear) at least two days before you exert yourself. I like to have gatoraid on the day of a hard event and have water beforehand.
But no matter what you do sometimes, your going to puke. It happens all the time to me while im running track. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you are hydrated and nothing else is wrong with you. Just puke and keep on going. But the biggest thing you have to watch out for is if you dont feel good after you puke. If you still feel nauseated after you hurl, make sure you stop what your doing and rest and hydrate. I know its kind of gross for some but as long as you dont make puking a habit off the trail i think you will be ok.
(My experiance here comes from running, but it applies to everything)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same happened to me the first day back on my bike. Mainly, it's due to dehydration and the heat. Keep yourself hydrated is the best thing. I usuall carry "Vitamin Water" and I've been thinking about getting into energy gels. KEEP HYDRATED!

·
too tired to be clever
117 Posts
Heart Rate

In my case when I feel like a technicolor yawn is on it's way, I stop and measure my heart rate, and it's always in the 169-180 range, which is about tops for a 48 year old. So it's my body's way of sending me a message.

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
I usually find when I vomit it's because I've pushed myself way to hard. ie on a really tough climb or a really fast sprint, plus being out of shape doesn't help. so I'm training a bit more now. Like others I carry powerade when on an event, this is good for quick energy but more importantly is also good at aleviating cramps. If I do vomit I make it a point of walking for a short distance, this allows the body to wind down without starting to tighten up or getting back on the bike becomes a lot harder.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Lactic acid buildup in your body from pushing really hard i.e after a hard climb where you are working your hardest makes you nausious too.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Like someone else said. I think that it's a combination of things. Out of shape, pushing too hard, drank too much water, heat exhaustion. I know each one of those will make me feel like I'm gonna blow chunks. However like the other guy said make sure you are hydrated because that's the one that can kill ya. If you feel disoreinted, can't catch your breathe, or seem like your vision is tunneling or going black. You have either taken some acid or are about to have a life defining moment. Take a break, cool down, drink water!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find its a combination of all that is mentioned and stopping too suddenly. It only happens to me if I stop after a climb that I pushed really hard. you're better off not stopping, and letting your heartrate go back down before taking a breather.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It can happen due to a variety of reasons, not one reason you have mentioned is the specific cause. It may just be that you are pushing yourself to the limit. It is not uncommon for people to puke while lifting weights because they are pushing themselves to the limit. If you are well hydrated and are not diabetic, keep pushing yourself. If it doesn't kill ya...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've delt with this most of my life and it usually comes from pushing myself to hard to fast. This year i've learned a mellow 10-15 minute warm up followed by a 10 minute or so rest to get my heart rate back down to normal works quite well before hitting the trails hard. A few weeks back i forgot to warm up and i ended up getting sick.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
The pukey feeling happened to me a few rides ago. What I found it most likely was (for me) was that I didn't eat very well the night before, and that morning. Therefore, I had absolutely no energy or motivation, and would get over-exerted (sp?) very easily. It's definitely not a fun feeling.

Also, if it happened at the very beginning of the ride, try to warm up a bit before really pushing yourself hard.

Hope this helps ya some!

:cool:

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's your heart rate jumping up too fast

DesertDave said:
In my case when I feel like a technicolor yawn is on it's way, I stop and measure my heart rate, and it's always in the 169-180 range, which is about tops for a 48 year old. So it's my body's way of sending me a message.
DesertDave is right it's your heart rate going too high too fast. We just brought a newbie out the other day and 5 minutes into the ride he's blowing chunks, we actually do this to about 5 guys a year :) . And this happens to guys whether they're hydrated, relatively in shape, or whether it's hot or cold, it doesn't matter and it always happens at the same point on the trail. It's a point that if you're not used to the trail your heart will be at 190 after only about 5 minutes.

I almost did it to myself just yesterday. I was on a record setting pace through my local trail and halfway through I knew my heart rate was too high but I just kept pushing it and when I started a steep long climb then I started to feel light headed and sick so I had to stop.

Hydration and heat stroke and their results are very different things from your heart rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.