Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That's damn yankee to you
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to Denver from western NC this week or next. Any trails along the way? I know Manhattan, KS but friend was by there last week and said still snow on the ground? Any predictions for this weekend? Any other options along to way out there?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I lived in Kansas City for awhile and can recommend a few between KC and Denver - you'll want to check out earthriders.org for trail conditions because I think they've had some snow.

In KC, the best two are the Landahl and Swope trails. If you like trails with lots of flow and rocks, they're a good bet. West of KC 30-45 min gets you in range of two KS State parks - Clinton Lake and Perry Lake. Both are longer than the KC trails and are more rugged.

The real gem on I-70, though, is Wilson Lake state park. Right in the middle of KS, it's absolutely fantastic. Of all these, it's probably the least likely to be snowed in, too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
+1 for Wilson. There are no trees (not kidding - mostly bare rock) so chances are most of the trail is dry. There's a group from Wichita that might go up this weekend waiting on a trail condition report. I'll post their update here.

I've never been to Landahl or Swope in KC but they're supposed to be awesome. I think it was Landahl that was even good in the rain according to some guys that go up there regularly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Landahl is a no go for the forseeable future.
There is still snow and lots of water on the ground.

And, unfortunately, your information about Landahl being good in the rain is bad.
Landahl has lots of heavy clay soils and it holds water very well.

For the latest trail info check out the (Landahl) forums on earthriders.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wilson is covered in snow still. Lots of north-facing hillsides that don't melt quick at all. It may be rideable by next weekend...you might wanna check them out on Facebook @ Switchgrass Mountain Bike Trail for updates and conditions.

I-70 exit 199

·
Registered
145 Posts
MacLennan Park (within sight of I-70) has ten miles of hilly singletrack. Five are rideable right now, though might get rain tonight. Take Fairlawn Ave. exit in Topeka, go north and park at the trailhead west of the Governors Mansion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
BKruahnndon said:
Wilson is covered in snow still. Lots of north-facing hillsides that don't melt quick at all. It may be rideable by next weekend...you might wanna check them out on Facebook @ Switchgrass Mountain Bike Trail for updates and conditions.

I-70 exit 199
Ugh... I was hoping it might be clear for this weekend or the next. I've never made it out there despite the fact that I've driven past on I70 a million times.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just went by Wilson today on my way home from Topeka. Trail is rideable, though very, very soft due to the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw. It just makes for that much more of a workout.

·
That's damn yankee to you
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up getting a ride in on the Hell's Creek loop. Awesome trails! you guys are lucky to have them. No one is going to believe the fun I had biking some gnarly KS trails! Feel free to look me up if you ever get out to western NC.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
WickedGood said:
Ended up getting a ride in on the Hell's Creek loop. Awesome trails! you guys are lucky to have them. No one is going to believe the fun I had biking some gnarly KS trails! Feel free to look me up if you ever get out to western NC.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
About how many miles did you get in? I'm hoping you just started at the Hell Creek Loop cut-in and experienced the whole ~17ish miles of the Switchgrass Trail! Nothing wrong with the HC area, it just doesn't do justice for the rest of the 'hidden gem' of trail!

Either way, we do truly appreciate the comments. It really makes us want to get out there and keep improving the trail when people from far away come and ride and leave with an atypical Kansas experience!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.