Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
hikebike-bagpeak
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know or have any experience riding the alpine trails yet this year? I have a tour that rolls up to the jeep trailhead for Mt Antero, backtracks then crosses Tincup Pass, Reno Divide and Cumberland Pass. Wondering if anybody has a clue if this area looks like for biking? Hoping it will be passable by the 2nd to last week of July.

I've rode up over 12,000 feet north of Fairplay last week and of course started early so I could hike-a-bike over nine massive snow drifts to the base of Silverheels peak. Coming back took a lot longer as I had to walk around the soft afternoon snow. But since I'll be bike-packing on the tour stated above later this month, I want to make sure my route will be open or at least managable the whole way through.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in St. Elmo last week, drove up to Hancock townsite to hike around with family..and to see if there was *any way* I thought I could do the CDT/Alpine Tunnel/Tincup Pass Road loop...and it did not look good up higher. We walked up the RR grade a little bit, and that starts about 11100, I think. It was a bit wet (that section always has a bit of water running over the old ties), but up about 12K looked to be pretty snowy still.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.