Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm currently (still) riding an '05 X-Cal and am looking to jump to a new frame. While I like the frame, I know that geometries have changed and evolved over the years, and can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something. I've been riding my current frame for quite awhile, and I would say on the whole, it's been very good to me. My biggest complaint would be that the handling does feel a bit sluggish when things get twisty and tight, so something with a more snappy feel would be nice. Other than that, it's been great, but I get the feeling that it could be better.

My question is: Is it worth picking up something new? Will I notice anything drastic over my current set up?

Any suggestions, aluminum or steel (sub $1k frame only)? Thanks!

·
Singletrack Snob
263 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
Hey All,

I'm currently (still) riding an '05 X-Cal and am looking to jump to a new frame. While I like the frame, I know that geometries have changed and evolved over the years, and can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something. I've been riding my current frame for quite awhile, and I would say on the whole, it's been very good to me. My biggest complaint would be that the handling does feel a bit sluggish when things get twisty and tight, so something with a more snappy feel would be nice. Other than that, it's been great, but I get the feeling that it could be better.

My question is: Is it worth picking up something new? Will I notice anything drastic over my current set up?

Any suggestions, aluminum or steel (sub $1k frame only)? Thanks!
Which fork do you have? I ride an '06 X-Cal, and I know what you mean about the sluggish handling in the tight singletrack. I think that (at least in my case), the fault lies with the Reba fork and its 38mm offset. A modern fork with 46mm of offset would improve the handling.

However, some of the early Fishers had Manitou forks, which I believe had more offset, so those would be better handling than the ones that came with Rebas.

So... if you have an early Reba, I would think about changing that rather than the frame, otherwise you may not improve anything, as most new frames are designed for the new forks.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Vitamin G said:
Which fork do you have? I ride an '06 X-Cal, and I know what you mean about the sluggish handling in the tight singletrack. I think that (at least in my case), the fault lies with the Reba fork and its 38mm offset. A modern fork with 46mm of offset would improve the handling.

However, some of the early Fishers had Manitou forks, which I believe had more offset, so those would be better handling than the ones that came with Rebas.

So... if you have an early Reba, I would think about changing that rather than the frame, otherwise you may not improve anything, as most new frames are designed for the new forks.
^^^^^^Switch the Fork^^^^^^for a newer Reba or Fox^^^^^^

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks! Switching the fork makes total sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Yes, I have the stock Reba SL ('05). Nice fork, but with the old offset.

My next question is will the frame - which does not have G2 geometry or something similar - be able to work well with new fork with more offset? I'm supposing it will based on the responses. Vitamin K, your frame is basically the same frame as mine, so what is your experience with the old geo./new fork?

Thanks again!

·
Singletrack Snob
263 Posts
ziggurat22 said:
Wow, thanks! Switching the fork makes total sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Yes, I have the stock Reba SL ('05). Nice fork, but with the old offset.

My next question is will the frame - which does not have G2 geometry or something similar - be able to work well with new fork with more offset? I'm supposing it will based on the responses. Vitamin K, your frame is basically the same frame as mine, so what is your experience with the old geo./new fork?

Thanks again!
If you're happy with everything else on your bike, then a new fork makes sense.

Otherwise, the bike is 6 years old. Maybe it's time for a new bike all together? That's up to you.

I haven't changed my fork yet, but it's on my list of things I'm thinking about. The 46mm offset forks should work real nice with our X-Cal frames, and would also work with a new non-G2 frame in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.