Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Conditions were good for the race, I only slid out one corner on the slick dust. Too bad the promoters went to a "chip" system for timing, I got listed at 68th, showing only one lap completed, when actually I was up in the top 10 for my age class. Seems these chip systems always fail and lead to poor results at the first few races, I cannot understand why a old school backup isn't in place so that results can be posted without mistakes if the chip system has problems. Oh well. Still fun racing, and hopefully the chip system will be debugged before the next event.

As I waited to talk to the guy about my results, I overheard a rider from the Prestige Imports team being a dick, and asking for his money back because his results were not posted either, Michel something. What a tool you have to be to cuss at a race official about a mistake in the results, and get all pissy about having to walk to your car to get your bib number for the official. If anyone knows anyone involved with the Prestige Imports team, pass it along that this racer is not representing their team in a respectable manner.

·
Loser
539 Posts
Conditions were good for the race, I only slid out one corner on the slick dust. Too bad the promoters went to a "chip" system for timing, I got listed at 68th, showing only one lap completed, when actually I was up in the top 10 for my age class. Seems these chip systems always fail and lead to poor results at the first few races, I cannot understand why a old school backup isn't in place so that results can be posted without mistakes if the chip system has problems. Oh well. Still fun racing, and hopefully the chip system will be debugged before the next event.

As I waited to talk to the guy about my results, I overheard a rider from the Prestige Imports team being a dick, and asking for his money back because his results were not posted either, Michel something. What a tool you have to be to cuss at a race official about a mistake in the results, and get all pissy about having to walk to your car to get your bib number for the official. If anyone knows anyone involved with the Prestige Imports team, pass it along that this racer is not representing their team in a respectable manner.
Isn't that how every racerboy acts? I swear all that spandex cuts oxygen to the brain and makes them delusional.

·
Newb
56 Posts

Another reason to bring your Import car to Castle Rock Imports!.

1,328 Posts
Conditions were good for the race, I only slid out one corner on the slick dust. Too bad the promoters went to a "chip" system for timing, I got listed at 68th, showing only one lap completed, when actually I was up in the top 10 for my age class. Seems these chip systems always fail and lead to poor results at the first few races, I cannot understand why a old school backup isn't in place so that results can be posted without mistakes if the chip system has problems...
Bummer, especially considering where you came from. Hopefully you let them know though. I know the without limits guys encourage that sort of feedback, maybe you just had a bad rfid?

Conditions were great (at least until the sun started peaking though and then it became really warm).

I know some of the regular road guys on the prestige audi team and they're good dudes. hopefully that was an isolated case.

anyhow, that is a pretty nice little trail system to have in your subdivision. I appreciate being able to ride/race there.

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
My time was all screwed up as well, no lap times. Second time in three years its happened, I didn't *****, just went home. The race organizers need to get this figured out, its not rocket science! When you come to a race, pay $70 to enter and ride your brains out the least you can expect is a time?

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
... Too bad the promoters went to a "chip" system for timing, I got listed at 68th, showing only one lap completed, when actually I was up in the top 10 for my age class. Seems these chip systems always fail and lead to poor results at the first few races, I cannot understand why a old school backup isn't in place so that results can be posted without mistakes if the chip system has problems. Oh well...
I've never used a chip system at a race I've put on, but I've helped with races where they were used. Pretty reliable from what I've seen. But it's a total rookie mistake not to have a paper backup. Gotta have somebody with a clipboard and ballpoint marking down splits.

Murphy's Law: if you assume you won't need it, you'll need it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My buddies and I registered when we got there for the appetizer race and none of our results are up.. Im assumin maybe they just arent fully updated. I know there was a guy there tracking all the racers as they went by.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We registered at the site as well. I've emailed the timer, and she assures me that they are working it out. I didn't expect it to be fixed on Easter, so when they do it that's ok. I have my time from Garmin, and know about where I finished, but looking at the posted results, they had problems with many racers times.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
The one thing I will bit$h about is the staging area and how they routed riders off course in two areas creating two new off trail routes that will not recover- there had to be another way- as it was in an area where riders would cross paths.

Bummer..... Other than that - trails were cleaned up and overall not in horrible shape.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
What happened to CATs ? Seems like every race nowadays is age group only?no fun racing pros! TomP, can u chime in and please enlighten me?
Don't know what to tell you fellers. I've never put on a race that had cats, just age classes. Vapor Trail 125 doesn't even have age classes... but of course it's not a race.

I don't know much about the Rampage, is it USAC sanctioned?

Takes a lot more work to have 6 or 8 or more podiums, gotta have prizes for that many. Timing and scoring is way more complicated... and if there are only going to be a handful of people in each cat/class combination, especially on the women's side, it gets kind of silly. You really need to have 150 or more racing to have enough volume to justify cutting it up that many ways. At the Banana Belt last fall I don't think we had any third place women in any but the youngest age class.

But you know, it occurs to me that cat is more important than class. Old people (like me) might b!tch a little, but a 50-year-old pro/expert can still rip a new one on a 20-year-old beginner/sport. I know it's all cat1, cat2 blah blah like the roadies now, but I'm from the real NORBA days. Beginner, Sport, Expert, Pro.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't know what to tell you fellers. I've never put on a race that had cats, just age classes. Vapor Trail 125 doesn't even have age classes... but of course it's not a race.

I don't know much about the Rampage, is it USAC sanctioned?

Takes a lot more work to have 6 or 8 or more podiums, gotta have prizes for that many. Timing and scoring is way more complicated... and if there are only going to be a handful of people in each cat/class combination, especially on the women's side, it gets kind of silly. You really need to have 150 or more racing to have enough volume to justify cutting it up that many ways. At the Banana Belt last fall I don't think we had any third place women in any but the youngest age class.

But you know, it occurs to me that cat is more important than class. Old people (like me) might b!tch a little, but a 50-year-old pro/expert can still rip a new one on a 20-year-old beginner/sport. I know it's all cat1, cat2 blah blah like the roadies now, but I'm from the real NORBA days. Beginner, Sport, Expert, Pro.
no.

as far as classes...yea its a tough one- Im in the 40-49 group and there were 76 riders...and the winners time would have put him top 5 overall. Tough crowd. Oh well.
Epic Singletrack Series in WP is coming up and they have age group Novice, Sport, etc etc.
These races are a good training for me :rolleyes:

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
... in the 40-49 group and there were 76 riders...and the winners time would have put him top 5 overall. Tough crowd. Oh well ...
Tough crowd indeed. There are a LOT of goddammit tough 40 and 50 somethings in Colorado. Just because you get old doesn't mean that the competition gets soft.

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
Tough crowd indeed. There are a LOT of goddammit tough 40 and 50 somethings in Colorado. Just because you get old doesn't mean that the competition gets soft.
Yep, I'm in the 40 to 49 class as well and got it handed to me! Lol, winning time was 2 min off the Pros winning time. They used to have the pro, expert , sport, novice classes and that was cool. I like to race, hope they change it back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.