Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rode the Ridge Trail or Hazard Peak Trail or whatever it is called now, and was surprisingly impressed! The whole way up we *****ed about how we liked the old trail better and that we wished it was never changed. That was until we went down!! This new trail is fast and fun and longer now. I was more out of breath coming down than going up! Great conditions right now and cant wait to ride it again.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Yes, excellent isn't it? That is Hazard Peak Trail now.

The old Ridge trail was fun, but runs down the ridge fall line, and was impossible to maintain. Since we have so much new land opening and trails to build, it gets hard for us (CCCMB) to maintain trails like that, unfortunately. We are looking at getting from 50-200% more land added to the City, County, State Parks in the area. We have plans for about 30 miles of new trail in the next five years, and that could be 50-75 miles eventually. :thumbsup:

Why spend so many man hours keeping the old Ridge trail when an inch of rain overflows the water bars, ruining about 100 man hours, when we could build a couple miles of new trail that will be self sustainable?

We are struggling to keep from having the other side of old Ridge down to E. Boundary totally washed out with the current rains....... Ugh. :madman:

And for thrills, have you checked out the freeride area that FASTA is building at the top of Elevator? They were doing more work there Saturday, and some new surveying.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
I saw the new freeride area when I was up there in November. That is going to be sweet.

If you guys keep building new trails, I'm going to have to move up there.

Nice to see CCCMB is getting that much help with getting land from the various agencies. Good job!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
jmallory did you ride it Sunday afternoon? Were you with a couple of guys with a truck? I was in the white Subaru getting ready to go.

I rode it and finished up around 4pm. Was hoping to go up and down Hazards one more time but time was running out :(

And Slocaus you need to stop working so much so you can get those 30 miles of trail open for us ;) You could just sleep and wander on the trail with shovel. Sorta like Cain from Kung Fu but your Kung Fu would be being really good at trail building :)

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
That new trail is getting a lot of use so be very careful on the upper section with the exposed blind curves. Since the trail has become a very easy climb there are many more people just going up and down and not riding the back trails (e. boundry and barranca) which are way harder/technical. This is making the potential for accidents on those blind curves near the top great. After the last bench its very exposed and has potential for fatal crashes up to where it hooks up with old ridge trail. Be nice to have more trails to take the load off but it will come in time. Weekdays are great for dh runs but weekend potential for disaster is way up as more people ride it as an out and back, have fun!.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, there were 4 of us. As we jumped in the truck, we almost turned around and rode it again. Wish we would have! slocaus, I can definitely imagine the accident potential on that trail now. You can really get going and come around a corner and not even see someone til its too late. That was by far the most people I have ever seen out there, it is getting more and more popular. Still, a lot of fun and interested if it got soggy from the recent short rains.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Its in good shape for now, they are expecting 1-4 inches tonight into tomorrow so there could be some puddles in the middle section. If it rains hard best stay off it for at least a day and ride sandier trails on Black hill in Morro Bay which loves the rain and makes all those sand traps into tacky goodness, enjoy!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
jmallory said:
Still, a lot of fun and interested if it got soggy from the recent short rains.
Some of the CCCMB guys that were out there on Monday doing some emergency repair before the big storm stated that they could see damage from the trails being ridden too soon after the rains. This big one coming today and tomorrow will probably mean it needs to rest until Saturday or Sunday, or longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.