Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the fun of it, anyone interested in sharing their worst mtb story? Preferably the kind where you vowed never to ride again. Perhaps you considered ending your relationship with the man that dragged you on the trail that was filled with grizzly poop. Or maybe on that same ride, the foot wide trail with the drop off going all the way to the bottom of the mountain made you want to strangle him Or, again on the same ride, after the "3 hour ride just up and over the mountain" takes 6 hours to get up the trail, only to find out the top of the mountain is covered in snow, so you have to turn around and try to make it back down before it gets dark and that grizzy gets really hungry? You know, that kind of story! A story about the ride that makes us hate our significant other or friends, but now is entertaining.....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
stripes said:
What about the type that make you hate yourself and you vow to sell your mountain bike?
Hmmm... you must have more patience and forethought than I. (Though apparently I have more patience with my ski gear, as last time I hurt my knee and we had to spend hours self-evacuating me out of the backcountry, I was composing the add to sell my touring gear in my head while trying to ski on one leg...)

I remember a ride where I had my bike picked up over my head and ready to throw off a cliff... (luckily it occurred to me that I'd need it once we got down to the road to ride back to the truck). It was years ago when I first started riding on a bike with a funky frame that meant you couldn't lower the saddle. The trail involved about a mile of big dropoffs and huge rocks and as I tried to get back behind the saddlle, it kept hitting me in the sternum and neck and I was wrecking all over the place. I got down to the flat part and my husband said "why didn't you just take the seatpost and saddle off the bike and stick it in your pack?" Ummm... I don't know. How come you had to be a mile ahead of me so you couldn't impart that wisdom back when it would have been helpful?

No more XC bikes with seatposts that can't be lowered for me. Especially on DH type trails!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Definitely not always the SO's fault.

Quite a few years back, I was maybe a lower intermediate high beginner rider. I planned a romantic weekend getaway in Nelson, BC. Bed and Breakfast, Ainsworth, the works. I got the trail maps, and all he did was show up. We went to the local shop and asked for a good trail and picked a blue square out called "Placenta Descenta". It was a nine mile logging road slog up to the two mile descent. Little did we know that the locals always shuttled it.
It has rained the night before and it was slick, and steep - at that point in time I didn't even know how to get off the saddle on a descent! I'm not sure how far down that trail I was when I sat down and was ready to throw my bike down the hill. The worst part of it was that I could not blame it on "him" as I had planned the whole darn thing. I sat and cried for a while, ate some huckleberries and somehow made it down that trail. Later on hubby fesses up that he had a really hard time too.

Nelson is the town that probably invented triple diamond bike trails.

~formica

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
I Don't Know

I've always felt better after riding, but I did get really frustrated my first run at Whiteface because it was so wet and slippery.
If I remeber correctly I threw my bike. :bluefrown: Bent the rear rotor. What a jerk.
I have a few snowboard stories that fit better into this category.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hmmm, I've had a few of those. After my first 24 hour race, I swore I was putting my bike on ebay and never riding again. Went to Mountain Creek one day and pretty much wiped out everywhere and anywhere. Told the s/o (yelled, really) I AM SELLING THIS FREAKING BIKE AND NEVER DOING DOWNHILL AGAIN. He convinced me to go back, I had an awesome day and I still have the bike. Years and years ago, first time I ever rode Round Valley (its a very long out and back, lots of rocks, technical. Definately not beginner material), I swore we weren't going to make it back before dark (we didn't), we ran out of water (and it was H O T ) and I swore at that b/f for taking me there. That same b/f "made" me cry once at Chimney Rock when I was just really getting into actual mtn biking and was totally on the wrong kind of bike and I swore I would never go with him again. Wow, lots of swearing going on with me. So lets see, about 10 bikes later, here I am :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
The ride leader from h*ll

The first & only time I ventured to the Midwest to Arizona with a group of riders was supposed to be the "best".
One of the guys we rode with had family near Phoenix and he assured us he rode "X" trail all the time and would be our leader. He knew the trail like "the back of his hand".
Well, riding in the desert is a lot different then riding on the east coast.First of all, you use a lot more water....and your mountains are a lot more..."steep".
Well after riding for hours and getting painfully lost with our "no fear" guide, we come to the conclusion that there was like 2 more hours down or we can take a "short cut."
Well the short cut looked like a DH off the sheerest of ledges...not an option as far as I was concerned.
I am out of water, out of food, newbie weak, it's getting dark and I'm really losing my patience. Just wanted to sit and cry. But first I wanted to throw our guide off the mountain. Luckily I barely had enough energy to hold my bike up let alone resort to violence....:madman:
Anyhow, we somehow figured our way down and ended up on some road somewhere asking directions on how to get back.
I vowed to always carry my OWN map from then on new journeys.
When I got home from that trip, even on the shortest of trips, I had my camelbak filled with water, food, space blanket and all kinds of "necessities" just in case I ever got lost again.
Sure it may have been overkill but it gave me peace of mind. And maybe it made me stonger carrying all that junk on my back everytime. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Bawitdaba said:
There must be something wrong with me, because even the bad rides are good in my sick and twisted mind. Although the Whiteface crash and subsequent surgery was a bit painful...:eekster:
With me they're all good looking back on them now. There are a few that at the time were not funny at all though!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm not really interested in re-living those ohh soo wonderful rides with the hubby where I decided to just ride my bike past the car and to the house rather than back to the car and have to sit next to him...or because I sat on the trail for 20 minutes just so I didn't have to see or ride near him again...needless to say, I've learned to take my own set of keys...:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, I have been pretty lucky and haven't had the type of ride where I swore never to get on a bike again although I have had some rides that went on a lot longer than my strength!
I do recall a backpacking trip when I said 'get this f**king thing off my back' after getting caught in willows for the umpteenth time. But I still backpack, too....!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I've broken down plenty of times while on rides. Usually there's a sense of euphoria upon seeing the car, though, and I feel much better after that :) Yesterday may have been my most painful ride ever. Our first half century. Definitely went through the gamut of emotions and pain. It got to the point for awhile where I could only pedal for about 5 minutes and then I had to stop. Then somehow I got a blast of energy and felt great for about 10 minutes, then felt horrible. And I still had 15 miles to go!

The weekend before we had had to hike-a-bike up a mile of steep loose switchback terrain that gained nearly 1,000ft in elevation. I couldn't even pedal when we did get back on the bikes. That was bad.

I guess I have rides like that a lot! :) Since I'm still relatively new to riding I think that I often find myself saying, "I'm never doing this again!" but as I mentioned... once I'm back at the car I usually recant.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
connie said:
"why didn't you just take the seatpost and saddle off the bike and stick it in your pack?" Ummm... I don't know. How come you had to be a mile ahead of me so you couldn't impart that wisdom back when it would have been helpful?
Haw haw! Too funny!

Reminds me of the time I got to the bottom of the descent first, followed by my [then] girlfriend several minutes later. She had dirt all over her head and crooked sunglasses. Boy did I ever get The Stink-face.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
irieness said:
I'm not really interested in re-living those ohh soo wonderful rides with the hubby where I decided to just ride my bike past the car and to the house rather than back to the car and have to sit next to him...or because I sat on the trail for 20 minutes just so I didn't have to see or ride near him again...needless to say, I've learned to take my own set of keys...:D
I insist on my partner taking her keys for the same reason. She usually operates on this "Dwight has his keys" reasoning and then kicks me out of the car so I have to walk.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It was not so bad I can't talk about it, but I had a sort of bad ride yesterday.

We have been limited to very few ridable days so far this year due to rain and ice storms. Yesterday was clear and cold but not too cold. I had not been out to ride in weeks it seems. Plus I worked my regular 40 hr weeks plus another 80 hours in January.

Anyway, I headed to the greenbelt with my lab. First I had not thought about water in the creek. That means either getting wet and cold or crossing a 50 yard section that is 2 inches wide while holding your bike in one hand and a chain so you don't fall off the cliff in the other.

Long before I made it to the chain I was feeling timid and uncordinated. At a nothing little place I suddenly find my self hitting the ground. Typicle WFT happened? As I came off my bike, my bad knee bent WAY more than it likes and I twisted my ankle too. Gawd it hurt for a while. I finally get up and from then on all the places I have ridden for years are now scary and I walk them.

Near the chain area the limestone is green. Mean Green Rocks that will hurt you if you place your foot in the wrong place. I make it to the far side of the chain and it takes me quite a while to pitch my bike up and climb up. All while another group of about 10 mojos are watching waiting to cross the other way. At least I didn't bust my a$$ in front of them.

I managed to not hurt myself anymore on the ride but I sure felt like big chicken.

I've been riding long enough to know that somedays are just not good days on the bike. But even a bad day out on the bike is still better than a good day indoors working.

I' m going out again this afternoon, wish me a better ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bike Ride Hate

is the one kind of ire that my husband can handle. He knows I'll get over it and the edorphines eventually take the edge off!! It's part of our dance I guess. In a way I see it as pretty healthy because eventually I'm saying "Longer, Harder, Faster!" For me the issue is sometimes not having a proper warm-up.

I did have one ride with an incident I don't even like to think about it. :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kriz said:
I did have one ride with an incident I don't even like to think about it. :eek:
You're leaving us all hanging!!!!
The good thing is, when those bad cycling trips occur, it seems to be the one time our sig. others don't mind us being bratty! Cycling as couples therapy....wonder if I could turn that into job:)

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
We've had some real doozys, mostly due to my husband's impulsive yet non-plan-oriented nature. However, there IS one that stands out...

Middle of summer, pre cell-phone-days, husband's going to Seattle with a couple friends and will meet me back at their place when they've returned. I get a wild hair and decide to take all three dogs with me out into the empty sagebrush near Vantage. Keep in mind this is SERIOUSLY boondocks...

1. Park truck, suddenly I hear "pop!" and steam out from under the hood. I can't see anything obviously wrong, but it's got to cool down before we go anywhere so I decide to ride for a bit anyway. Water for dogs now hoarded for putting in the radiator.
2. One out of 2 electric collars for the dogs not working. Put the non-working one on the better behaved dog as a 'dummy'.
3. Brand new bike, brake pad on mechanical Avid disks scrubbing. Takes me a bit to twiddle it until it works but doesn't squeak. FINALLY take off.
4. Pup runs smack into a barbed wire fence. Fortunately she hits it head-on, bounces off wires hitting chest/legs/chin (with head snapped back) all at once. No damage, but looks like she's going to give barbed wire a whole lot more respect from now on....
5. Back to truck. Still no broke hoses etc. that I can see. Pour water in, fire truck up, turn heater on to pull as much heat from engine as possible and limp it back to town.
6. Husband and friends nowhere to be found, but truck definately overheating again. I ride bike around to a 7-11 as now I'm dying of hunger and thirst and becoming despirately cold.
7. Husband et al STILL not back when I return. I stumble around and find their hose in the dark of the front yard, fill up the truck, and limp it home.
8. Husband not at home. Turns out we missed each other when I finally get him on the phone. "Do you want some dinner - we've got it here and so-and-so's house...." I righteously unload about having to McGyver the truck or anything else mechanical ANYWHERE ELSE TONIGHT, he is going to pick me up here at home NOW.

That evening was the one and only time I've ever drank Tequila straight.

·
Queen Kona
225 Posts
Shortly after I started seriously riding on singletrack, I switched to a new bike with disc brakes. One evening, we were showing our trails to someone from another forum who was visiting, a person who's notorious for taking pictures of everything that happens during a ride. Near the end of the evening, we were moving at a brisk pace from singletrack to a gravel road and everyone was bunnyhopping potholes and sticks. I figured I'd try to keep up with guys and give it a try. But when I saw a large pothole, instead of jumping, I paniced and grabbed a handful of front brake. I spent the car ride home scraping razor-sharp gravel out of my knees and calculating how much I could get for my bike on eBay. The next day, the picture of my post-endo pavement landing was all over the Internet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.